The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old January 17, 2014, 10:58 PM   #26
Dragline45

Quote:
Most people working at Savage are probably way too young to have made the connection.
Hell, I haven't hit 30 yet and I still know the history behind it. Between college, high school, and grade school, I have had probably close to a couple dozen history courses. I know that it has popped up in at least a few of them.

While it probably wasn't the best idea, I don't take any offense from it. I highly doubt that is what they were going for when choosing the name.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:05 PM   #27
jglsprings

In past, past, past lives I did a lot of machining and mechanical drawing. (Which they don't even do anymore it is called "CAD" and "CAM")

So I immediately thought of center line, etc.

Quote:
Brian aka Peetza
I suspect they were going for something close to the two bolded definitions. As if to say that the product line is the standard by which others are referenced.
Naw...

It was a bunch of engineer / geeks sitting around "brainstorming" and picked a name that they liked but fell flat on the general purchasing public. These types of decisions are usually left to executives long since removed from their true customers...

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.

Last edited by jglsprings; January 17, 2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:26 PM   #28
Ricklin

Hendrix did Axis, bold as love...........
Old January 18, 2014, 11:02 AM   #29
Dragline45

Quote:
It was a bunch of engineer / geeks sitting around "brainstorming" and picked a name that they liked but fell flat on the general purchasing public. These types of decisions are usually left to executives long since removed from their true customers...
The majority of the time names for products are picked by the marketing department.
Old January 18, 2014, 01:44 PM   #30
Jo6pak

Again, I don't see an issue. Do you own any Mausers? Would you drive a BMW, Nissan, or Volkswagon?
One of the best dogs I have ever hunted with was named Rommel. Another was named Moscow.
OMG!!!

Frankly, I think too many people are just looking for reasons to be offended.
Old January 18, 2014, 05:43 PM   #31
RC20

I am not so much offended as annoyed at Savages stupidity.

Seems a lot of heads are still in Rommels sandbox.

Didn't we get into a tiff a while back called Iraq and was that not supposedly over the Axis of Evil? Wasn't that kind of recent? Didn't it have consequences?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it",

I think its damned important that things like the real underlying causes of the Civil War, WWI, Pearl Harbor, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq 1 and even more so Iraq II be taught to the succeeding generations and that obviously is not been done.

Recently there was a huge push to attack Iran. The logic was that as long as we told them it was not an attack they would not be offended and that is truly insane. Argus all you want, but to say that is the same as Japan saying Pearl Harbor was not an attack. Sorry about the 3000 dead and all those battleships but we really did not attack you.

So, easily offended is one thing but forgetting what the serious stuff is a whole different situation. Something truly are more serious than others
Old January 18, 2014, 05:53 PM   #32
KeeperOath

Axis Rifle?

Think of it as a Deer Rifle. I harvest Deer with my Deer Rifle. Some people say kill instead of harvest and that is fine.

If you find an Axis Members still breathing our air, I give you permission to turn them in for proper punishment. If they refuse to go with you peacefully and resist you by force, they by force you must resist them. I only hope you have your Axis Rifle with you.

That would be a great story to tell your grandchildren.
Old January 19, 2014, 08:44 AM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

I guess their first test market names -- Arisaka, Schutzstaffel, Tojo, and Banzai -- were taken...

Savage obvious means the line around which a body rotates when they chose it, sort of a play on "this here is going to be the center of our company."

At least that's my guess.

Some words, terms, etc., have more than one meaning, and not all of them are bad to everyone.

But, my thought is... They might have co-opted the term Axis for their little party of evil, but we beat the ever loving **** out of them and took it back lock, stock, and barrel.

In other words, we get to use Axis again, free and clear, and they get to rot in hell.

Feel better Jim?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 20, 2014, 05:17 PM   #34
KMAX

Quote:
Frankly, I think too many people are just looking for reasons to be offended.
+1

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 20, 2014, 06:32 PM   #35
BerdanSS

Lord a mighty, I just bought a "SAVAGE" .22 pulled it out of the box with a sticker on the stock, of what could be my great great great great Grandpappy. (I'm a 1/4 Cherokee) Not only do I really like the rifle....I'm not offended in the least

axis Analytic Geometry . any line used as a fixed reference in conjunction with one or more other references for determining the position of a point or of a series of points forming a curve or a surface------

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 20, 2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old January 20, 2014, 07:18 PM   #36
Peter M. Eick

I would say I am not "offended" just I took note of it. Offense is something much bigger then just a casual "hmmm, I would have chosen something else".

I think axis comes from my interest in history. I have read a lot of books on the fighting in North Africa when I worked over there and it sort of ingrained in my psyche. It was interesting to read about the Axis advances across Libya and into Egypt and then to stand out there and see the marks the Tanks left in the desert pavement.
Old January 20, 2014, 09:14 PM   #37
Panfisher

I laughed when I first saw the Savage Axis because of the historical context, only wondered fleetingly if they even thought about it when they named it, then I forgot about it. I'm not offended, and doubt my father or uncles would have been either (all WWII Vets). Now had they named it the Kamikaze, or Zero, it might not be quite as good a seller.
Old January 21, 2014, 03:34 AM   #38
bamaranger

me too

Yeah, it caught my attention too.

Here's one: a local phone company uses as their "symbol" a crescent moon.

And its a mom and pop USA outfit. I've commented....they don't care.
Old January 21, 2014, 08:08 AM   #39
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Now had they named it the Kamikaze, or Zero, it might not be quite as good a seller."

Didn't you hear?

We're no longer allowed to call this -- 0 -- a zero. That's offensive.

We now have to call it the naught.

Old January 21, 2014, 03:56 PM   #40
9mmfan

I seriously doubt it even crossed their minds. Marketing folks love the "X" and the "Z." Just look at all of the brand names drug companies use.
Old January 21, 2014, 08:49 PM   #41
James K
Staff

OK, guys, I would not expect the younger folks to see the point at all. I am sure you will love their next models, the Al Qaeda, the Terrorist, and the Taliban.

Actually, Hitler and Mussolini didn't get the term from mathematics; Hitler declared that from that point on, the world would revolve around the Berlin-Rome Axis. (He wasn't big on physics, either.)

Jim
Old January 21, 2014, 10:04 PM   #42
jglsprings

Quote:
The majority of the time names for products are picked by the marketing department.
Yes...

Did I not mention "executives long since removed from their true customers"?

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.
Old January 21, 2014, 10:32 PM   #43
Againstthewind

names

I never noticed either the Savage name with the first nations picture on it or the Axis name, but now that they have been pointed out I can't help but think of it. I went to the mathematical definition first when I heard the Axis name. Maybe they were going for a rifle to hunt Axis members. I must be a little desensitized or something. I am not offended when I hear pinche gringo when I walk away anymore .... well maybe not that desensitized. It was not a good move on the part of the marketing department, unless it was a clever move to get extra publicity. With the logo still the same, I don't think they are that clever.

^^^I am totally that guy who has to shout something that makes no sense at the bar. ^^^
Old January 21, 2014, 10:57 PM   #44
Catfishman

The Allies crushed the Axis. The Axis is gone. Doesn't bother me.
Old January 21, 2014, 11:17 PM   #45
Adrian

Againstthewind, just for your information, Savage Arms was named for its founder, Arthur Savage. In 1919, Chief Lame Deer offered his tribe's endorsement in exchange for discounted rifles. Later the Chief gifted the use of his image to the company, and that's where the logo comes from.

Some people get offended by it, but either they don't know the company history, or they're out looking for offense.
Matt.25:40

Last edited by Adrian; January 22, 2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Rephrasing...
Old January 22, 2014, 08:53 AM   #46
Mike Irwin
Staff

'OK, guys, I would not expect the younger folks to see the point at all. I am sure you will love their next models, the Al Qaeda, the Terrorist, and the Taliban.'

Actually, I do see your point, Jim, and I recognize that there are some people who do feel that way. I know people who won't own a Mitsubishi anything because of the connotations, and you know how touchy I am about people slinging around the term Nazi because of some of the people I've been fortunate enough to know over the years.

Your three examples, however, are NOT salient (just as mine weren't, but I don't think you, or any one else, picked up on it)...

The three examples you gave are proper nouns chosen by those organizations as proper names for themselves. They were not in the English language or our consciousness before that.

Axis, however, is a common English language noun with multiple meanings, and existed in the English language for about 400 years before Adolf Hitler came along.

And, unlike Taliban or Al Queda, the word Hitler used to describe the political affliation between Germany and Italy would not have been the English word Axis, but would have been Achse, or possibly Achsenmächte (depending on context), which are the German words for axis and Axis Powers.

The word axis was used in English speaking nations such as the United States to describe the politicial/military affiliation because otherwise about 75% or more of all Americans wouldn't have know what the hell Hitler was talking about because they didn't speak German.

Hitler's many speeches, virtually all of them translated to English at one point or another, are are likely full of common nouns that may have taken on unsavory connections due to cross translation and affiliation. Do you intend to seek them out and excise them from your language base, as well? If not, WHY not?

Had Savage named their new rifle the Asche, or the Achsenmächte, then I think you'd have a valid concern.

But to eschew a common English word that Hitler NEVER used because it's the translation of the German word that he did use?

I'm sorry, but that's just damned silly.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; January 22, 2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old January 22, 2014, 09:03 AM   #47
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Too old maybe?

I had a whole response typed out here and my stupid app reset when I checked Safari.

In the meantime, Mike pretty much said what I was saying.

To add another point, here's how I see what you're doing with an ambiguous word...

Your name is Jim. Are you really going to use that name after what Jim Jones did?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 22, 2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old January 22, 2014, 09:44 AM   #48
Mike Irwin
Staff

To bring that point even more tenancy, how about James Holmes, or James Earl Ray?

Both of those men used firearms to commit their crimes, which leads me to believe that anyone named Jim or James just may be a murderous criminal...

Yes, Jim, you had been born and named long before either of those events happened, but the association!

Old January 22, 2014, 10:17 AM   #49
Jimro

I don't think that the "Axis" name has hurt sales any. You see Remington and Marling trying to bust into that "economic yet accurate big game rifle" with the X7 series and Rem783.

That we are talking about the Axis in this thread and not the X7 or 783 offerings is making some marketing department happy...

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old January 22, 2014, 11:22 AM   #50
mete

Mike , like Mitsubishi those wonderful folks who brought us Pearl Harbor !
Much of the younger generation probably never heard of WWII as they don't seem to teach anything in schools today. In Japan the gov't textbooks didn't include anything in a six year period until a history teacher brought suite against the gov't and won !