The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 24, 2014, 09:03 PM   #51
reynolds357

If they were in a Yellowish Orange box then they were fusion.
Old January 24, 2014, 09:19 PM   #52
ColColt

Nope, more of a bluish color best I recall.
Old January 24, 2014, 09:20 PM   #53
Mystro

Federal Fusion in 270 should only be $22.00. Its one of the best boat tailed bonded bullets you can get for the price. They also tend to shoot exceptionally well in everything.
SG has Hornady SST 130 in stock for a good price.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...=HORNADY&kec=2

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 24, 2014, 09:24 PM   #54
ColColt

Thanks, I'll give those a try. I could get two boxes of those for the price of the ones I saw today.

I ordered a couple boxes. Thanks again. Figured I may as well join the club while there.

Last edited by ColColt; January 24, 2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old January 27, 2014, 07:20 AM   #55
Magnum Wheel Man

+1 on that stupid sticker on the barrel... you'd think they could have put something on, that would peal away cleanly...

awesome looking rifle BTW... a little better wood, than what is on mine...
Old January 27, 2014, 09:28 AM   #56
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... was at Cabelas the other day ( was offering up advice for a buddy buying an AR )... so I had some time to kill, after we got his gun, mount, & scope picked out... so, I picked up a Leupold base & rings for my 35 Whelen Remington 700, which took all of 5 minutes, so then I wandered off to the gun library to B.S. with the guy working the library... after looking around, I asked him if they had a JOC tribute rifle ( expecting maybe they had something with even more awesome wood )..."nope... they are getting really hard to get right now" so looks like to buy one in the even near future is going to be tough, & or even more expensive... glad I got mine when I did, can't hardly wait to get some glass on it, & nicer weather to put a few round through it...

also.. thanks for posting up what works good as far as factory ammo... I usually like to sight rifles in with factory ammo, then try to better that with my handloads...
Old January 27, 2014, 11:35 AM   #57
ColColt

I'm glad I went ahead and got this one. I sure looked at it long enough. I bought two boxes of the SST ammo and have already loaded twenty rounds using H4831 and the Nosler 130 gr...more to come.

Of course, I expect to get groups just like Mystro. Yep, that sticker could have been left off. Winchester must be the only ones on the planet doing that.
Old January 27, 2014, 11:50 AM   #58
Mystro

Your rifle might group better. Winchester Custom Shop threw everything they got at these rifles, I cant imagine anyone not being a tack driver. For a feather weight barrel, they seem to shoot like a bench gun weighing 12 lbs.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 27, 2014, 11:54 AM   #59
ColColt

I doubt that. I'll be most happy if it groups one inch or less. It probably has the most skinny barrel I have out of several rifles. I imagine it'll heat up well. I'm going to try "breaking the barrel in" by firing, cleaning, firing, cleaning for the first ten shots. Then, three shots, clean, etc for about 20-30 shots. I've read it can make a difference.

http://matchgradearms.blogspot.com/2...siest-way.html
Old January 27, 2014, 12:16 PM   #60
Mystro

The barrel does heat up quickly. In fact it heats up quicker than my Kimber Montana in 308 for some reason??????? I was shooting both last week and couldnt figure out why the JOC got hot two shots quicker than the ultra light Montana in 308.

Old January 27, 2014, 12:20 PM   #61
ColColt

Well, it's a Featherweight hunting rifle that usually wouldn't get shot more than 2-3 times in the field. I suppose those three shot groups would tell the story better than going for five shots unless you wait a couple minutes between shots. I do that even with my Sako Vixen .222 that has a much thicker barrel.
Old January 27, 2014, 12:22 PM   #62
Magnum Wheel Man

it's a light weight rifle designed to be hunted with... 1 - 2 shots at most in succession... I think it's also the lightest barrel I own as well... mine will likely never be hunted, but will be shot on nice days at the range... & I find most of my long & magnum actions require a slower course of fire... I generally sit with the bolt open for 4-5 minutes between shots if I'm really trying to get good groups...
Old January 27, 2014, 12:30 PM   #63
ColColt

This one will never see the killing fields either since my hunting days are past. If I get too cold at the range I can sit in the car awhile till I get warm again. You can't do that half a mile or more in the woods waiting on that 12 point buck. It will get shot at the range, taken home and lovingly cleaned.
Old January 27, 2014, 01:11 PM   #64
Mystro

Good points guys...This is why my groups are always done with Clean Cold Barrels. Thats really the only shot that matters. I would shoot one shot, clean, and let cool down. I have done 5 shots in a row and the groups are still outstanding but the barrel is hot as hell.

Old January 29, 2014, 10:31 AM   #65
Magnum Wheel Man

scopes & scope rings ???

so did you guys get the newer logo'd Leupold rings on your rifles ???

the new set I bought has the logo, but I have sets that are plain... since I decided to put a Leupold scope on the rifle ( instead of a Nikon ) I went with the new logo rings in gloss blue... just curious if you guys are going for the vintage look, & used plain rings ??? I think the logo adds a classy look, so I'll keep them on mine...

this is an portion of another thread I have on the rings...

... in doing so, I've bought 3 new sets of Leopold rings & bases, from Cabelas... Cabelas doesn't always have the best prices, but I noticed that these rings have the Leupold logo stamped / engraved into the top of them, & none of my other Leupold rings do... one set is new, but plain, that I bought from another place... perhaps it was older stock, & all their new rings have the logo ???

anyone know, if they are making 2 grades of their standard rings ??? one for higher end retailers, that have the logo, & a cheaper set, that are plain for cheaper retailers, or if all their new production have the logo ???

normally I wouldn't care, but 2 of the rifles I'm scoping up are my new JOC tribute Winchester 70, & a Remmy 700, 100th anniversary of the 30-06, so I'm happy to have the Leupold logo rings on those since both will wear Leupold scopes, but some of the other rifles will wear other brands of glass, so the logo doesn't do anything for me, & in fact, I might prefer a plain top to my rings, if they have a Burris, Nikon or other scope...

BTW... I have the question posed to Leupold customer service, to get my question on the logo / no logo new rings answered...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 29, 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:34 AM   #66
ColColt

Apparently all the new rings have their logo. I've bought two sets in the past couple months and they both have it. I think it gives them a bit of "class" to an already fine set of rings.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:46 AM   #67
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
I think it gives them a bit of "class" to an already fine set of rings.
I agree...
Old February 4, 2014, 09:38 AM   #68
Magnum Wheel Man

well... I just bought a Leupold VX3 3.5X - 10X 40mm in gloss black for this rifle... I think it'll look nice on it, & go with the new Leupold rings & mount

now I need to get some factory ammo to dial it in with, ( wanted to look through this thread, as I thought MYSTRO had listed the ammo he shot those groups with ) once I pick up some good factory ammo & get a base line group to try to better with my handloads... Oh... & wait for some warmer weather & a bit of the snow to disappear

BTW... just went through Midway... & the only Federal or Hornady 270 ammo in stock, is Hornady's American Whitetail Ammo 130 grain Interlock Spire Point... I assume the same bullet as MYSTRO used, but maybe not quite as "good" a powder ??? since this looks more like "value" priced ammo ???

I might have to stop by Cabelas this next week, & see what they have on hand

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 4, 2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old February 4, 2014, 11:41 AM   #69
hooligan1

Magnum, I shot that American Whitetail ammo 130 grn, through my Savage "22 barrel, and I wasn't satisfied with groups. And the primers were pretty flat, if I was you I'd try the 130 grn Custom ammo from Hornady.
Old February 4, 2014, 11:46 AM   #70
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks... I figured it was "budget" ammo... but right now, all Midway has... I'll check at Cabelas
Old February 4, 2014, 12:05 PM   #71
ColColt

The ammo Mystro used was Hornady's 130 gr SST. That's what prompted me to order a couple boxes. Of course, I didn't get no bug hole group like he did but what I noticed, at least in this rifle was what appeared to be pressure signs with cratered primers. May be just the firing pin and bolt hole size, I don't know. This is a pic of those loads fired in two separate 270's. The one on the left is from the JOC rifle and that on the right a 1952 M70.

I think Hornady's loads border on being a bit hot. On the box it has a MV of 3200 fps.
Old February 4, 2014, 12:10 PM   #72
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the info...
Old February 4, 2014, 12:15 PM   #73
ColColt

Check this out at post #4. I actually think that's one shot.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539772
Old February 4, 2014, 02:14 PM   #74
ColColt

For any of you JOC fans, I saw this question posted at the JOC forum about the wood used in the Tribute rifles and thiought I'd post it and the response from Bradford O'Connor...

"I do have a question for you Mr. O'Connor. Did Winchester find a different source of wood for the Tributes and Custom Tributes. They have a deeper color(darker wood-more contrast) than most of their rifles. I am wondering if they were Turkish Walnut. There is more mineralization within the grain. It is also interesting that the Tributes AA and AAA look nicer than grade iv supergrade walnut."

Response:

We now have the answer from Mr. Hatt: "Yes, as was from the beginning we have used a different walnut. Normal Winchesters, including the Super Grade, all use American Walnut (Black Walnut). For the JOC commemoratives we used French or the U.S. version of French walnut which is called Claro. This was designed after the Biesen stock used on the #2 rifle which was French walnut. I agree, they look nicer than the in-line Super Grade rifles. That was the intent.''