Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 13, 2014, 08:29 PM   #51
Kev

^^^ all that right there just sux^^^

I'm in or will be in the same boat when my father passes

Best of luck to you DC
Old January 13, 2014, 08:54 PM   #52
Dc777

Homer- I wouldn't call the Rossi a pos. Mine wasn't as pretty as a s&w, but at the same time I got it for next to nothing. I never had any issues out of it. I only got rid of it because someone offered me a .45. It was a quick decision. And I still like the gun I got for it.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:07 PM   #53
JAREDSHS

Dc------if you want to buy a Rossi--go buy a Rossi

I can't believe that we are still talking about it. Go buy it !! Good luck to you sir.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:27 PM   #54
Homerboy

Ok. Do what makes you happy. If you want a Rossi get a Rossi. I would imagine finding one on gun broker for 300 wouldn't be hard
Old January 13, 2014, 10:07 PM   #55
5whiskey

Quote:
Homer- I wouldn't call the Rossi a pos. Mine wasn't as pretty as a s&w, but at the same time I got it for next to nothing. I never had any issues out of it. I only got rid of it because someone offered me a .45. It was a quick decision. And I still like the gun I got for it.
I'm with some others... even if it's just to add to the collection I personally would like something a little nicer. With that being said, you are not me so weigh your options. I wouldn't swear Rossi off. I'm probably going to own one of their leverguns in .357 at some point (can't afford anything else). $500 bucks versus $900 for a .357 made by anyone else. If I could get a Winchester for $650, I'd probably save up for that. 900 is alot of dough for a gun that won't be my "go to." So... for what you want and in the price range you're looking at I think the Rossi or Armscor would likely be good choices.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:23 AM   #56
buck460XVR

D777....if your grandfather did indeed leave you all of his guns to you via a will, the laywer for the estate will, if he has not already, contact you. This is who you need to talk to. Your grandmother cannot distribute items to others that your grandfather willed to you. Any discussion of the distribution of those items willed to you is not between your dad and his mother, but between the lawyer for the estate and your grandmother. You can elect to give those items to others, but she does not have the legal right to do so, even if she is the executure/representative. While the executure disperses the estate, they cannot go against the manner specified in the testator's will.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:53 AM   #57
Dc777

Buck- he passed away 8 years ago and there hasn't been a lawyer involved. I don't think the majority of the family is aware that there is a will.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:00 PM   #58
coldbeer

If you just want something you can look at and spin the cylinder for less than $400 then go to Toy R Us. I'm sure they can help you.
Old January 14, 2014, 01:25 PM   #59
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Dc777:

Buck- he passed away 8 years ago and there hasn't been a lawyer involved. I don't think the majority of the family is aware that there is a will.
Then I'm thinkin' there's more to it than Granpa left me all his guns in his will.

As I said in my first post, for what you want to spend, a used Model 10 would be your best bet if all you want is some kind of centerfire revolver for less than $300. I'm one of those folks that buys a gun for a specific purpose, not just to have any gun, so that purpose is a major factor in my decision. I find it ironic that you say in one post,

Quote:
I just like spinning the cylinder on them and occasionally shooting one.
Then have a sig line saying if you're not gonna shoot a gun get rid of it and get a picture.......

Quote:
Old January 14, 2014, 01:54 PM   #60
Dc777

What part of occasionally shoot didn't you understand? I don't get to shoot my guns everyday. I don't live near a range and I keep a busy work schedule. That's what stinks about owning a small business. Not much play time.

Old January 14, 2014, 04:25 PM   #61
Leejack

Rossi 97104. There is also a 3" barrel 6 shot .357 that's sold at Academy. They sell them out about 5 minutes after they arrive.

In thread after thread we read recommendations to buy a used Smith. Yes, they are great, but in my part of the country they are way too proud of them. When Smith added their lock they drove their used prices through the ceiling. Don't believe, go to places like gun broker and check the sales prices, absolutely crazy unless of course, money isn't an object.
Old January 14, 2014, 05:57 PM   #62
Flea21

I Just got an eaa windicator .357 magnum nicket plated 4" and I must say it was a great purchase for the money.
Old January 14, 2014, 09:58 PM   #63
Dc777

What I take pride in is a roof over my head, providing for my family, keeping my lawn equipment running,and my lawn business going while saving money. I'm not a rich man, and top priorities are not my guns. Honestly I feel bad when I spend a lot of money on my gun even though I can afford it. It's not me being cheap... It's me knowing that something can go wrong and requiring a big chunk of money that I saved up to fix it. Guns are just toys to me and I have more than I need, but my family and my livelihood come first. That's why I want something cheap when it cones to a revolver. I don't need anything fancy. I found a guy locally tat as a Rossi m95 .38 special and I got him to agree on a trade that would require me to give him 450 rounds of .22lr and 100 rounds of .45acp ammo... The problem is that I don't see te m95 in my gun digest, nor on gunbroker, and I can't find any info on google. I have no clue what it is worth.

Old January 14, 2014, 10:18 PM   #64
Kev

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/840433...cial-g-92567-1

From this old listing and another I saw, in 2008 they were a 168 to 170 a pop
5 years later? I dunno.
But
I wouldn't mind having one to play with

I wonder if your trader has a little cash to add to the M95 to sweeten the pot?
Old January 14, 2014, 10:32 PM   #65
Dc777

Kev- the guy only wants $180 cash for it but I don't know the value of the gun. This Is my off season as far as landscaping goes and my buddy that I do hardwood floors for in the winter is a month behind on paying me my $2150 that he owes me ( a close friend and his special needs daughter costs him alot so I can't get mad at him) My truck will be getting out of te shop Thursday or Friday and I will have to sign my name on that $1800 check. I'm conservative to say the least. I've watched his gun on armslist start at $300 and gradually make its way down to $180. I even offered him a cheap .25 pistol with holster, ammo, and .22 ammo and he wouldn't go for it. Obviously he is having a hard time finding ammo.

Old January 14, 2014, 10:46 PM   #66
Kev

Well
For 180 I would say that's decent
In fact considering the ONLY ones I could Google fu up for sale were auctions that closed 5 years ago tells me people that do own them don't sell them often,
Or they didn't make a bunch of them.
I like the Colt influence of the M95
Old January 15, 2014, 12:40 AM   #67
Water-Man

Buy a used S&W Model 10 .38spl. 4" barrel.
Old January 15, 2014, 09:04 AM   #68
Kev

If I had a dollar for every time somebody recommended those model 10's I'd have enough to buy another NIB SW K-38 Target Masterpiece, mint, unfired...and a 22LR version as well..

10's are OK, I will inherit about 7 of them or so from my father.
As a kid, every time he brought home another model 10, I ran off to my room and didnt come out for hours..lmao
kidding, it was more of a "AGAIN?, WHY????????"
Old January 16, 2014, 11:27 PM   #69
8bit

The Model 10 is recommended so much simply because it's such a great value. You could certainly do a lot worse in the $200-300 range.
Old January 17, 2014, 07:12 AM   #70
Airman Basic

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/rossi-8...ue-finish.html

close.
Old January 18, 2014, 11:05 PM   #71
kenpomace

I was in the same situtation for a while. I've been wanting a cheap 357 mag to shoot reloads and keep as a backup in the car or night stand. My edc is a 9mm.

I shopped around and ended up getting the EEA windicator from Buds for 288.00

I researched high and low and it seems like the EEA is a good gun for the money.
Old January 19, 2014, 02:11 PM   #72
FilthyHarry

Ruger GP 100

You can get one in .38 Special - used. I bought one this week at a local pawn.
Old January 27, 2014, 10:21 AM   #73
CDR_Glock

I have a Taurus 605. Great gun for the money. Then again, the S&W 640 is pretty awesome, too.

The black revolver is a S&W PC 586 L-comp 357, 7 rounds. That was over $1100.
Old January 27, 2014, 11:08 AM   #74
Garycw

For an even trade on the ammo you mentioned, I don't see how you could go wrong. If jump on it
Old January 27, 2014, 12:17 PM   #75
MisterMills357

Inexpensive .357 Recommendation

My first response is to say Ruger Speed Six, if you can find one. The family includes the Security Six, et al.
I had both of those guns and they are pretty decent. However, you may need to install a set of Wolf springs; since the trigger pull is pretty stiff on an unmodified Ruger Security Six.
They will last forever under any normal use.