The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2014, 06:53 PM   #1
jaughtman

Blue Sky Garand Pics

OK, after meeting with the seller and seeing (GASP!) the Blue Sky import mark on the barrel (lightly indented), she came another $75 off the price so I bit.....taking to the range tomorrow to see if I got took. Some particulars that are kind of neat - it came with a complete cleaning kit in the stock, and a bayonet. Did BS include those when they sold them in the 80's and 90's? Also, a rundown of the parts - 1941 SA receiver, SA Trigger housing, WRA trigger, SA operating rod/charging handle, SA bolt, SA barrel......what do you think?

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

J
Old January 11, 2014, 09:29 PM   #2
Orlando

Thats the Garand you said that looked better than CMP Service Grades?? I'm not knocking it but it looks more like Field Grade wood.
For the most part the Blue Sky rifles were so worn they were reparkerized by the Imported so they would sell. Most of the bores were also very worn.
I hope this is not the case for yours and you got a good shooter
Old January 11, 2014, 10:38 PM   #3
chris in va

I have a Field Grade. That wood is definitely nicer than mine.
Old January 11, 2014, 11:00 PM   #4
jaughtman

Thanks

No offense, Orlando, as you appear to know a lot about Garands, but if you think that is Field grade wood you have not handled many Field or Service grades from the CMP. My gauge shows the muzzle of this one as roughly a 2 or 3 so I am hopeful. My most recent Service grade from the CMP (3 months ago) has easily double the scratches/dents/gouges of this one.

J

P.S. Just somewhat yanking your chain Orlando, as you appear to be quite knowledgeable about Garands.
Old January 12, 2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Orlando

I have handled thousands of Garands at the North Store
From your guess at the Muzzle wear it sounds as though its at the bottom of the Service Grade descrption
Again, hopefully you got a decent shooter out of it
Old January 12, 2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Ibmikey

I wrote of my Blue Sky experience on a Carbine thread, hope you fare well and come back and post your range experience. Blue Sky did not include anything but a zerox (remember that word?) copy of what not to do and if I recall a chamber flag, no cleaning equipment, bayonet or sling.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:52 AM   #7
jaughtman

Range tomorrow then.....

From the BS horror stories (and smattering of good ones) I am too anxious to wait and see if I got took....LOL.

J
Old January 12, 2014, 03:51 PM   #8
jaughtman

One more question.....

The reciever, barrel, and trigger housing all have that greenish phosphate-type finish. Was that done by BS for those that had one or have handled many? The bolt is some kind of flat black treatment....

J
Old January 13, 2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Orlando

Yes that looks to be the color of Park they used
Old January 13, 2014, 10:26 AM   #10
jaughtman

Thanks^^^^^

I am kind of kicking myself now for not looking into the Blue Sky issue before, but the CMP seems unable to get me a WWII serial # and I can not keep dropping 650 (720 once you add the Alabama tax and shipping) hoping for one. LOL. The bright side is that I now am listed as a "regular customer" in the CMP world. I will post the range results later today when I get back and let everyone either point-and-laugh, or just enjoy the results. Haha.

J
Old January 13, 2014, 06:45 PM   #11
jaughtman

Results

Well, here are the results. Due to the rain, the full-length outdoor range was unavailable so I had to shoot the short 50-yard indoor one. These are "slightly supported" as I just leaned up against the booth with the rifle on a sandbag (no real bench). Not as good as I hoped, but not as bad either.

This one is actually two seperate groups, 4-shots each that I just threw out there to warm up:

[/URL]

Then I adjusted the sights a couple of times, and this was the best I wound up with:

[/URL][/IMG]

I hope to dial it in more when I can spend more than just 45 minutes and really work on the sights and shoot from proper support/distances. Maybe all is not lost with this BS.

J
Old January 13, 2014, 07:46 PM   #12
Orlando

Looks like you got a good one. Thats about as good as you can expect of of a Garand and surplus ammo.
I will make a suggestion, you need a better target
What you are using is no good for iron sights especially at longer distances.
Heres what you want for 100 yds, SR-1 target, use a 6 Oclock hold
You can print it off
http://downloads.bisonballistics.com/SR-1.pdf
Old January 13, 2014, 09:23 PM   #13
jaughtman

Haha^^^^^

Right on! When I checked into the range, they were sold out of almost EVERY target except that one....I said "how the heck does a range run out of targets"? I hate these.....LOL. One thing I did notice is that this BS Garand throws the clip kind of "weak"....not near as pronounced as my CMP ones....

J
Old January 13, 2014, 09:26 PM   #14
jaughtman

Bear in mind.....

This was from only 50 yards.....I would have been freaking ecstatic to get even those first groups at 100.

J