The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Elerius

Shipping a hi cap gun and mags to CT

There is a Beretta 96 Brigadier for sale that I want, it comes with an 11 round magazine. I'm still not clear about what is supposed to happen if I buy it and ship it to CT now that this hi cap law is in effect. Will the FFL just refuse to give it to me and turn it in, or will I get in trouble just for trying to ship it even if I don't care if they keep it and just want the gun? I'm sure I could just tell the seller to send it with no mag but it is something I should know, if anyone actually does.
Old January 2, 2014, 12:30 PM   #2
biohazard313

IANAL...nor a FFL in a mag capped state

i would assume for the least amount of hassle to have the seller ship the firarm to the FFL without the mag. if the FFL is a shop they shouldnt have an issue locating you a mag or ordering one that is compliant with your state mag cap laws
Old January 2, 2014, 03:11 PM   #3
1stmar

^^^^ this is correct. Just avoid having the mag shipped.
Old January 2, 2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Roughedge

Have him ship the mags to you and the gun to a FFL. Can they be grandfarthered in?
Old January 2, 2014, 05:52 PM   #5
carguychris

The Beretta will presumably be shipped to a CT FFL to comply with federal and state law. AFAIK it it legal for a CT FFL to receive and possess a high-capacity magazine. It's just not legal for them to transfer it to you. In addition, I believe there are paperwork requirements for a CT FFL that receives a high-capacity magazine from out of state.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/sl...s_06192013.pdf

I recommend asking the receiving FFL what they he/she wants you to do. The FFL may want to keep it for some reason, or the FFL may not want to take possession, in order to sidestep the paperwork requirement. The only way you're going to know is to ask.

Anything else written here will be pure conjecture.
Old January 2, 2014, 05:55 PM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughedge
Can [the magazines] be grandfarthered [sic] in?
No. That ship sailed on April 4, 2013. See the link I just posted.
Old January 2, 2014, 05:58 PM   #7
1stmar

High cap magazines needed to be registered by jan 1 14. You can't take possession of them legally after that.
Old January 2, 2014, 09:54 PM   #8
Coach Z

Shipping mas to you directly would make you a class D felon immediately. The FFL TECHNICALLY can receive the mags but most don't want to deal with it and they absolutely cannot transfer them to you. My suggestion and what I have done a few times now is negotiate a slightly lower price and just get the gun without mags and the seller can sell the mags elsewhere and purchase the 10 round mags on your own.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Viper99

^^^ CoachZ.
Right now is hard to even buy 10 round mags from gunbroker because they want to have a copy of your permit in order to ship. I don't have a problem sending a copy to an FFL but won't send it for an individual who is selling mags.

To me it makes more sense to find whatever I want in Ct and thereby avoid all the headaches. I have found decent prices on used guns at hoffman's. Maybe some others here can suggest other places with good prices.
Old January 3, 2014, 12:24 PM   #10
1stmar

Hoffmanns is the cheapest I have found in the area. Especially on rugers.
Old January 3, 2014, 12:46 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca

I have two friends in Connecticut who are FFLs. Although they are allowed to possess "high capacity" magazines for sale outside of Connecticut, the law is vague as to whether or not they can receive new ones, or only take in mags that are already in Connecticut as of April 4, 2013, to sell outside of the state. The law says that "high capacity" magazines cannot be imported after April 4, 2013. I don't recall if there's an exception to that for FFLs.

That said, the Connecticut State Police interpreted the magazine "declaration" (registration) law to apply to gun shops as well as to private owners, so my friends spent the week between Christmas and New Years inventorying and "declaring" all the 10+ round capacity magazines in their respective stores. The state police have said they won't accept any new declarations that weren't submitted or postmarked by December 31, so we can deduce that an FFL could be taking a risk accepting any gun with a large capacity magazine, since he can't "declare" it and the State Police require that it be declared, and many probably won't want to take that risk.

Conclusion: Have the seller ship the gun without a magazine.
Old January 3, 2014, 02:52 PM   #12
Viper99

1stmar,
Still searching for the used pps. Maybe I will drive to Hoffman's tomorrow and see what they have.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:18 PM   #13
1stmar

Sorry viper99, pps?
Old January 3, 2014, 03:21 PM   #14
Viper99

Sorry, meant that I have been going to Hoffman's looking for a nice used Walther pps but every time I find one, its in .40 and I want the .9mm.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:32 PM   #15
1stmar

Can't say I saw a pps there or not. It's a bit of a haul I think for you. You may want to call them. If you decide to go there are a couple of other stores not to far: riverview - never been there but they advertise like crazy and newington gun exchange (very close to Hoffmann). Been there once, a lot of surplus rifles and decent amount of handguns. Not as big as Hoffmanns. But if you are in the area and don't find what you are looking for... Of course cabelas is only another 10 miles or so.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Coach Z

Viper last time I was in they had one new 9 PPS and not really best up used .40. I've had a couple and they are fantastic I'm loosely looking for one too because I have six mags and a set of night sights for a gun I don't own anymore!

Interesting point that gun shops had to register mags. Hadn't even considered that issue. I thought FFL's could receive just not transfer to in state customers.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:40 PM   #17
Elerius

Unfortunately, Riverview has had their FFL revoked from the Sandy Hook incident. At least it was still revoked when I called there a couple months ago. So no guns there.

I guess I'll be avoiding those mag problems entirely and just ship a gun without them if I need too. I can't wait to move to Seattle next summer where I don't have to deal with CT ever again.
Old January 3, 2014, 09:03 PM   #18
1stmar

Elerius do you know what the connection was to sandy hook?
Old January 3, 2014, 10:56 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st mar
Elerius do you know what the connection was to sandy hook?
I'm not Elerius, but I believe Riverview was the gun shop that sold the AR-15 (and several other firearms) to the shooter's mother. That wasn't the reason their FFL was revoked, but it was the post-Sandy Hook investigation that brought to light a number of "irregularities" about their records. Enough irregularities to make the BATFE boys less than happy.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:51 PM   #20
Elerius

Aguila pretty much has it. I'm not sure of the details beyond that, when I had called the shop they weren't terribly forthcoming about any details.

Hoffmans and Newington Gun Exchange are your two best bets now on the Hartford/Eastern CT side for reasonable pricing.
Old January 6, 2014, 03:34 PM   #21
Viper99

CoachZ,
Once I find that PPS, I will be trying to convince you to sell me the mags and night sights.
Old January 8, 2014, 12:09 PM   #22
Aguila Blanca

In re: Riverview: http://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut...theft_34014719
Old January 8, 2014, 08:07 PM   #23
1stmar

Not sure where to begin. Why is the fact that a rifle used in the sh shooting and sold by river view relevant to that story? Did the thief target that store because of it? Or is this just another way to draw attention to the story? Secondly, some guy steals a rifle and gets 5 years probation, what did I get if is fail to register a lcm?
Old January 8, 2014, 08:35 PM   #24
Coach Z

I just want to know what in the heck that has to do with this thread? I really have no idea
Old January 8, 2014, 09:37 PM   #25
Aguila Blanca

Follow the conversation:
  • Guy shoots up elementary school
  • Connecticut adopts new gun laws, including magazine capacity limits
  • Forum member asks about shipping magazines to Connecticut
  • Another forum member mentions school shooting
  • Another forum member mentions store where crime gun was bought, and the fact they lost their license
  • Store shows up in the news, so I posted a link to the story.

If you're not interested, don't read the article.