The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 1, 2014, 03:35 PM   #1
G-town Hunter

Looking to buy my first 1911

I have been wanting to buy my first auto pistol. All I own is revolvers. I have been looking at all models and I am set on the 1911 no other will do. My budget is around $1,000.... Not over.. So don't suggest anything like a Wilson Combat just to talk about the one you may have. I've got it narrowed down to the Ruger SR1911, the Springfield 1911 loaded, and the Kimber Custom 2. All possible pros and cons are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by G-town Hunter; January 1, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old January 1, 2014, 03:45 PM   #2
EdInk

I would go with the Springfield. IMHO they make the best 1911 for the given price range. I would suggest the Range Officer model.
Old January 1, 2014, 03:49 PM   #3
G-town Hunter

I agree about the quality of Springfield.. But doesn't the loaded come with more upgrades than the RO? What do you like about the RO I think is what I'm trying to ask.
Old January 1, 2014, 04:00 PM   #4
el_chupo_

Personally, a NM serial numbered Springfield.

I have a Loaded (parkerized) that is a great gun, and a MC Operator that I picked up with around 150 rounds through it for less than your budget within the last year. But neither are SS

If you are not stuck on Stainless, a Range officer is a great choice to consider.

Springer has a world class custom shop, great CS reputation, and is a long standing maker of good quality 1911s.

The Ruger would be next on my list. Getting good reviews, classic design/parts compatible, company has a good receord but so-so reviews on CS, if ever needed.

Might be able to find a Colt or two in that price range, I have before.

Kimber wouldnt make my list, dont want a series II safety system or whatever they call it, too many issues with more recently made guns, barrel rust issues, I havent heard much good about their CS.

I know there are LOTS of happy owners with all of these, and I doubt you will have a bad time with any of em.
Old January 1, 2014, 04:00 PM   #5
DaleA

Might want to check out this thread and the links it has in it.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538776
Old January 1, 2014, 04:01 PM   #6
BarryLee

I would recommend a Colt maybe one of the XSE models which can be had for around $1000.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 1, 2014, 04:03 PM   #7
el_chupo_

The Loaded is a "combat/carry" style gun, the RO is an entry level match style gun.

Adjustable sights, slightly lighter trigger (IIRC), a bit more beveled magwell, no abmi safety.
Old January 1, 2014, 04:05 PM   #8
RickB

Quote:
I agree about the quality of Springfield.. But doesn't the loaded come with more upgrades than the RO? What do you like about the RO I think is what I'm trying to ask.
You didn't ask me, but the RO has the internal fitting and tuning of the more expensive TRP model, with money savings on the finish. The loaded models have the more lavish external feature set, but with "production line" levels of parts fit.
Old January 1, 2014, 04:34 PM   #9
G-town Hunter

RickB
I'll take good info no matter who it comes from.. Thanks
Old January 1, 2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Coltman 77

Check out some Colts while you're shopping, they make a fine 1911.

They've had lots of practice.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old January 1, 2014, 05:08 PM   #11
MJFlores

I have to recommend the Ruger SR 1911. Nobody I know is sorry they bought one. I know I really like mine.
Old January 1, 2014, 05:14 PM   #12
G-town Hunter

I do like the Colt but I had heard they aren't as high quality as they once were? Any specific model of Colt?
Old January 1, 2014, 05:50 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-town Hunter
I do like the Colt but I had heard they aren't as high quality as they once were? Any specific model of Colt?
Colt's quality today is as good as it ever was, and better than many of the competing brands (including at least one, maybe two of the three you initially listed). My immediate reaction when I saw your opening post and the $1000 budget was, "What happened to Colt?"

Skip Kimber.

The Rugers are new to the 1911 game but seem to be solidly made and they get good reviews from people I trust. Springfield Armory sells good 1911s, but I admit to a huge bias against them for two reasons: First, their advertising that tries to create the impression that they are the continuation of the original, government-operated Springfield Armory when, in fact, the current Springfield Armory gun company is a recent creation that shares only the name with the real thing (which is now a museum). Second, their guns are made in Brazil, but they go to great lengths to conceal that fact. Imbel (the actual maker) makes excellent 1911s, and is a major arms supplier to the Brazilian government. It's not the product that bothers me, it's just the lack of honesty regarding where and by whom the guns are made.

Colts, on the other hand, are made in West Hartford, Connecticut, in a factory that's less than five miles (as the crow flies) from the original Colt factory.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 1, 2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old January 1, 2014, 05:56 PM   #14
RickB

People have been saying "Colts aren't as good as they used to be" since WWII. I'd say their guns are consistently better now than they have been in thirty years.
I consider myself a Colt guy, but have also had a few Springfields, and think they're the best value on the market.
I almost fell over when I saw a Springfield RO for $850 locally. The last new 1911 I'd bought was a loaded 9mm, the retail price on that gun is about $1100 (very nice gun, BTW), and I rarely see new guns for less than suggested retail.
Old January 1, 2014, 07:28 PM   #15
JWT

I'd go for a Colt in that price range or the Ruger SR1911. Have a couple Colts and their good guns. Have both the Commander and Military sized Ruger and think they're great guns for the price range. Can't go wrong with Colt or Ruger.
Old January 1, 2014, 08:46 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
I would recommend a Colt maybe one of the XSE models which can be had for around $1000.

THIS. ^^^
Old January 1, 2014, 09:28 PM   #17
MoGas1341

I carry a TRP (I know its not in the price range you're looking at) but that Range Officer, as RickB stated, has the accuracy of the TRP at a great price. The Range Officer was my first choice, but my significant other gave me the 'Santa Claus hookup' which is the only reason I have a TRP over the RO.

I too would also second on the Ruger. Ive steered two of my friends in the same situation of buying their first 1911 and both got Rugers. Neither person is disappointed in the least. I have shot both their Rugers and I am severely impressed with the quality for the price.
Old January 1, 2014, 09:45 PM   #18
SVO

Colt XSE modelgets my vote.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:28 PM   #19
puppyface

I owned only two 1911's, one Colt 1991A1 and a Springfield Loaded. The Colt was nothing but problems. I bought the Springfield last year and it has been accurate and 100% reliable.
Old January 2, 2014, 12:16 AM   #20
hank327

Since 1982 I've owned 6 Colt 1911's. 3 Government Models in .45, one Government Model in .38 Super, 1 Combat Commander in .45 and 1 Lightweight Commander in .45. I had absolutely no problems with any of them whatsoever.
I foolishly sold 3 of them over the years to finance the purchase of other guns.
If I could have a "do over", I would not have sold those three Colts.

When I was at the gunshop buying my first 1911, I had a Colt Series 70 Government Model and a Springfield Armory 1911 both out on the counter. I was agonizing over which one to buy. My buddy who was with me asked me, "Which one would you choose if you could have either one for free?" That settled it for me and I immediately chose the Colt.

I say get a Colt.
Old January 2, 2014, 12:31 AM   #21
Fleabag

If you are planning on getting just one, get a Colt. If you like the platform then get a Sig1911. Best bang for the buck if you ask me. Again, if limited to one, I'd be the one with a Prancing Pony. BTW, my current cc is a S 1911 and if I'd do it again it would be one with an Officer's aluminum frame and a Commander 4.25 or 4 inch slide.
Old January 2, 2014, 01:39 AM   #22
crashxl

Depends. If it's just going to be a range gun then any of the major manufactures should serve you we'll. if it's going to be a carry gun I would find an old colt. If it doesn't rattle when you shake it then you don't want it as a carry gun.
Old January 2, 2014, 11:35 AM   #23
RockDTMC

The Remington R1 Enhanced is a very good 1911 in your price range as well.
Old January 2, 2014, 11:59 AM   #24
scottl

Quote:
Second, their guns are made in Brazil, but they go to great lengths to conceal that fact. Imbel (the actual maker) makes excellent 1911s, and is a major arms supplier to the Brazilian government. It's not the product that bothers me, it's just the lack of honesty regarding where and by whom the guns are made.
Posted on 1911forum by the guys at Alchemy Custom, who are former SA Custom Shop empolyees and right down the road from SA in Geneseo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom
Since there are no more guns coming from Brazil, all of the NM serial number "production" guns are going to have the same "match grade" barrel in them.
Old January 2, 2014, 02:56 PM   #25
Grant D

I have a Springfield champion loaded, the Kimber crimson carry II, and a Colt XSE Commander,and paid $1,000.00 for the Kimber and the Colt.
The Springfield was about $650.00 used.

As far as problems, I have had zero with any of them, they have all run flawlessly, so I guess my Kimber is a fluke.
They are all accurate, but the Colt narrowly edges out the others.

I carry the Kimber and the Colt in a Galco super tuck, but find the Springfield a little on the heavy side to carry all day.

I can't say anything about the Ruger 1911 as I have'nt even seen one, let alone shoot one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kimber II.JPG (212.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg xse commander.JPG (237.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg champion.JPG (242.2 KB, 18 views)