The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 31, 2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Ritz

80% lowers

How many folks here have built a rifle based on an 80% lower they finished themselves?

It appears to be remarkably easy for someone who's got some machining experience under their belt. What lower manufacturer did you use? How about the upper?

I like the JP supermatch barrels based on what I've seen from some local folks at the range.

I'm thinking of doing an AR-10 just to show myself that I can. Right now, I'm thinking 18 or 20 inch 308 with rifle length gas and Magpul furniture. Looking for some real world experience from folks that actually built one themselves.

Best,
Old December 31, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Dc777

My first build was interesting. I'm not familiar with the brand that you mentioned. You need to do extensive research before buying stuff to build an ar..... You don't save any money by buying the parts and in the end paying a gunsmith to get it right. The absolute best thing you can do is make friends with someone at the ranch that will help you out at a non gunsmith price

DC

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 31, 2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Ritz

JP is reasonably well known.

http://www.jprifles.com/

Will likely pick up the upper from them as well. I guess I'm just a bit surprised that you can buy a lower that's "80%", but would take any competent machinist less than a half hour to complete. And then there's no FFL required, no need to create a serial number, etc. As long as you don't sell them, it seems like a great way (if you're a competent machinist) to build what you want without the hassle. Self reliance and all that....

Issues of fit/finish/timing notwithstanding, I kinda like this approach even though I haven't tried it yet.