The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2014, 04:55 PM   #51
Worc

Quote:
Well Worc, I would define a best trigger as smooth, light, short take up and not much over travel. I don't get the accuracy I am looking for with a long, heavy and gritty trigger.
That's better. With your criteria, I'd still recommend either the Walther PPQ or Steyr M1 (new). Sounds like combination of the two would be ideal. You might like one over the other depending on the importance you place on each attribute.

I'll take a heavier and longer trigger pull that breaks like glass over a lighter, shorter and creepier one for accuracy.
Old January 2, 2014, 05:08 PM   #52
TunnelRat

Quote:
I will rest better now!
Don't take everything so personal, it's a friendly discussion.
Old January 2, 2014, 06:16 PM   #53

Quote:
I've got a Ruger sr9c and the trigger is very very good, but it can't compare to the trigger on my XD9 with the PRP upgrade, because it is beyond excellent. Try one you will like it.
Adding a PRP trigger kit to an XD/XDm will give you an excellent trigger for sure. I had one in my former XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP. IMO, it was too light for a combat pistol but worked very well for precision shooting and plinking.

To get a trigger that's about as good as it gets for a combat pistol you can make a few free-of-charge modifications to the Ruger SR polymers. If you find the mag disconnect in the slide to be superfluous, remove it. It does somewhat ride on the striker and it's easily removed. Polish the contact points on the trigger bar. I did mine with 320 grit sandpaper. Get 300 - 400 rounds through it and you'll have one of the best combat triggers I've ever encountered.

I've also played around with the Ghost "Ultimate" 3.5# trigger bar reset in my SR9 and SR45 that's similar to the Glock 3.5# connector. Ultimately, it's now in neither pistol because it does nothing better than the factory part. If you want to add a Ghost trigger bar reset to one of the Rugers, get the 3.5# Rocket. It won't make the trigger any better than it already is, but it does include a provision for a trigger stop that must be fitted to reduce the trigger's overtravel which will prevent excessive follow-through. This will get you a reset that's as short as any reset can be.
Old January 2, 2014, 10:07 PM   #54
Erikbal

I agree the SR9c has a great trigger and it just gets better and better the more you shoot it.
Old January 3, 2014, 02:34 PM   #55
Martowski

Another vote here for the PPQ. Mine has a wonderful, light take-up followed by a crisp break at right about 4 lbs. of pressure.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:28 PM   #56
RBid

A long, heavy pull makes trigger control issues translate into ugly shooting. You can either improve trigger control, or seek out triggers that hide your issues.

For short take up, the SR trigger is tops among stock poly/striker pistol triggers. It is easy to look good with.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:51 PM   #57
jib

OK, so I'm the odd man out.

I love the trigger on my Bersa BP9cc. First pull is a medium length 3.5 pound pull; the reset or second pull is about 3/16th of an inch. It started out a tad gritty, but smoothed right out. The only time I had a misfire was when I put too much lube in the firing pin channel. This is my carry gun. If you can find one to try, give it a chance. Check out www.Bersachat.com for tons of manufacturer specific info.
Old January 5, 2014, 09:25 PM   #58
marcclarke

HK P7M8 hands down has the best single action trigger on a striker-fired semi-automatic pistol.

Last edited by marcclarke; January 5, 2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old January 5, 2014, 09:40 PM   #59
Auto5

jib,

You're not the only one. I dont have a lot of experience with striker fired pistols, but my Bersa is the same. Light pull with a short reset. Mine started out gritty too, but smoothed out nicely.
Old January 6, 2014, 04:02 PM   #60
Hitthespot

Quote:
I agree the SR9c has a great trigger and it just gets better and better the more you shoot it.
My SR9c has almost 2000 rounds through it. No problems at all. As said the trigger just gets better and better. If there is a lighter or better trigger on a striker fired pistol, I don't think I would want it. The SR9c almost seems like it's getting too light.
Old January 6, 2014, 04:05 PM   #61
tahunua001

springfield. I have shot rugers, S&Ws, glocks, and dry fired, walthers, FN Herstals, HKs, and CZs, there is just no comparison to a factory springfield XDM trigger. perhaps some of the others break in to be better but from the box the springfield has no equal is far as striker guns are concerned.

now hammer guns are a completely different story.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 7, 2014, 08:06 AM   #62
ozarkhillbilly

I carry a p7 but my p99as has a better trigger.
Old January 7, 2014, 09:39 AM   #63
Yokoman

ppq

Another vote for the PPQ.

It breaks clean and the reset is very nice

I also have a bp9cc and the trigger is also nice. just prefer my PPQ trigger.
Old March 3, 2014, 11:14 PM   #64
Z400ACDC

After looking all over town for the Walther PPQ, I bought the Ruger SR9. After 100 rounds now, I like this pistol. It has a good trigger, very little take-up and over travel.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:51 AM   #65
CWKahrFan

Thanks for letting us know... I have the SR40c and am very happy with it. The SR series guns are good values! Yeah, the trigger is decent and it's a very natural pointer for me.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:54 AM   #66
Jaywalker

In September 2013 I bought both a Walther PPQ M2 and a Glock Gen4 G19, just to see what all the fuss was about. Basically, I'd ignored the Glock phenomenon for 30 years...

Out of the box, the PPQ felt and shot better than the G19. I liked the PPQ trigger and hated the G19's, which started out at nine or 10 pounds pull.

Fast forward to February 2014 and I'd got rid of the PPQ and am very happy with the G19. The GlockTriggers Guardian trigger is now installed (all OEM parts, but hyper-polished) and I like the trigger better than the PPQ's. That's not to say the PPQ's trigger was bad, because it wasn't - I bought the PPQ on a whim just from the trigger and grip feel.

It's hard to describe feel, but I'll give it one short try. The PPQ has a short take-up before a small "wall," and trigger break is good and predictable right after that; the GlockTrigger's Guardian trigger has no "wall" at all, it's more of a rolling break that I prefer - no predictability - it helps me pull right through rather than pause at a wall. It's not to say one is better than the other, just that I prefer the aftermarket Glock trigger to the factory PPQ's.

Add to the trigger that I much prefer the smaller form of the Glock - at least height and width, compared to the PPQ - and vastly prefer the Glock's maintainablility. As I was a "Glock Blue Label" (military, LE, etc.) buyer, and the Glock + GlockTriggers Guardian was the same price as the PPQ, I saw no real reason to keep the PPQ.
Old March 4, 2014, 11:08 AM   #67
sigarms228

The Walther PPQ. I just adore mine.

Old March 4, 2014, 01:40 PM   #68
Sabrewolfe

For out-of-box stock trigger, I also have to vote Walther.

That said, the Powder River drop in kit makes for a pretty sweet trigger on the XD, and the combined price was still a good $50 less than a PPQ.
Old March 4, 2014, 02:01 PM   #69
charlesc

Does walther PPQ M2 high bore axis weigh in your decisions as to how accurately shoot it? Does it have a light trigger kinda not suitable for carrying?
Do you prefer the european style magazine release of M1?
About Gen 4 glock 19/17 do the new ones still have 'brass to the face' problems?
Old March 4, 2014, 02:34 PM   #70
Jaywalker

Quote:
charlesc: Does walther PPQ M2 high bore axis weigh in your decisions as to how accurately shoot it? Does it have a light trigger kinda not suitable for carrying?
About Gen 4 glock 19/17 do the new ones still have 'brass to the face' problems?
As for shooting, I didn't think the higher bore axis of the PPQ was a problem. After replacing the G19 trigger, both the PPQ and the G19 are as accurate as I am.

The trigger on my PPQ was 5-1/4 pounds; I didn't think it was a problem for CCW. I did think the pistol was a little big for CCW, though - it's 5.3 inches and the absolute highest I'll carry is 5.0 inches, but that's just me.

The type of magazine release did not enter into any of my buy/sell decisions.

My Glock G19 Gen4 was born in September 2013 and I have had no problems with either failures to fire or eject or with brass to face. About one piece of brass in 50 goes up high and comes down on my hat, but that's about it.
Old March 4, 2014, 03:32 PM   #71
Worc

Quote:
charlesc wrote:
Does walther PPQ M2 high bore axis weigh in your decisions as to how accurately shoot it? Does it have a light trigger kinda not suitable for carrying?
The height of the bore has more to do with recoil/muzzle flip. It's not an issue for me at least but does have a little more recoil/muzzle flip than a models of similar size and weight in the same caliber. I shoot my PPQ better than any of my other 9mm auto loaders when using a faster cadence.
My PPQ's trigger breaks right at about 5lbs. It has a crisp break with not creep or over travel. I don't catty mine , but it's not because of the excellent trigger. I prefer my HK P-30 that's SA/DA and has a decocker for carry. I like the trigger guard paddle magazine release levers. I wish I could get this style in all of my auto loaders.
Old March 4, 2014, 04:08 PM   #72
mavracer

Quote:
After looking all over town for the Walther PPQ, I bought the Ruger SR9. After 100 rounds now, I like this pistol. It has a good trigger, very little take-up and over travel.
Good choice, I like the SR series better than most of the other stagy triggers because it's DA revolver friendly.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."