The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 31, 2013, 07:32 PM   #26
PSP

Quote:
I had one (Sig P220). Really don't understand that statement.
I agree. Good gun but not spectacular.

Different strokes... glad the Ruger works well for the OP. I don't own a Ruger pistol, but in some cases they do look like a good value.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:38 PM   #27
jimbob86

I'd prefer my El-Cheapo filipino 1911 slag gun to any swinging triggered crunchenticker, of any make.

YMMV.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old December 31, 2013, 08:15 PM   #28
Bultaco

In the arenas of competition and sales those Ruger models did not do very well. People do not move away from the DA/SA concept because it is easier to shoot. Semi-auto handgun accuracy has improved a lot in the last 20 years. Enjoy your Ruger pistols. There are plenty of used ones out there for cheap.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:16 PM   #29
SansSouci

weblance,

Sounds like you've got yourself convinced. Of course, P-220 shooters would assuredly disagree. And we haven't yet considered 1911A1 shooters, the epitome of all handguns.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:26 PM   #30
Dc777

I'd like to get my hands on a .45 ruger. I carry my p89 daily and my father liked mine so much that I went out and bought him a p95. If I ever find one of the .45's and I have the extra money I will pick it up in a heartbeat. I'll take my ruger over a glock. Sure there might be guns that are more accurate out there, but people on this post are ignoring the price of the rugers. Sure an $800 sig might be " better " according to some people's opinions, but you can buyn3 of the ruger pistols for what you can buy one of those foreign sigs for. Nothing agains sig, as they are very fine guns.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:29 PM   #31
haymaker

I have 4 .45's. A WWI vintage Colt 1911, a WWII vintage Colt 1911, Ruger P90, and a XD 45. I won't sell the Colts because of their historical value. If I had to part with either the Ruger or the XD I would sell the XD.

The P90 has the smoothest DA trigger of any gun I've ever fired except for maybe my S&W revolvers. I shoot it better than my Beretta 92. I've had no experience with other Ruger P series pistols but the P90 is grossly under rated.
It's just too bad as big as it is it should have been designed for a double stack mag. A P90 in 10mm would be nice too.
Old December 31, 2013, 09:03 PM   #32
Ozzieman

but I find them mediocre.
+1
Never owned one but I have put a couple of mags through one. Good gun no doubt but don’t like the grip and doesn’t feel good in my hand.
Sorry but to be the best 45 it has to have been designed by John Browning. IMO

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old December 31, 2013, 09:09 PM   #33
onthehunt

There Is No Better 45, Than a Glock 21 Gen 4 ...
Old December 31, 2013, 09:21 PM   #34
rocket12

I own both a p-90 and a Remington r1-s, I will take the r1-s any day over the p-90
Old December 31, 2013, 11:47 PM   #35
8MM Mauser

I really love my little .22 MKII; and I really like Rugers revolvers too, GP100 and and a Redhawk are on the bucket list. But I just don't like the way the P series and SR series feel. The plastic feels cheap and they never quite for my hand right. I like Ruger, and I want to like their centerfire SA handguns but I just don't.

I admit that on paper they offer a great value. A few years ago I was all psyched up to buy a P95 until I shot it. Didn't like the feel.

Never been a big fan of the looks.

T
Quote:
There Is No Better 45, Than a Glock 21 Gen 4 ...
On paper I think that's true. Maybe IRL too. I've never had the pleasure of shooting one but it's an intriguing firearm.

http://benjaminraber.hubpages.com/
Old January 1, 2014, 12:41 AM   #36
Leejack

I had a Ruger P90.

You could launch fighter jets off the top of that thing! LOL!

It rocked!
Old January 1, 2014, 01:00 AM   #37
RodTheWrench

Those Rugers are the International Scouts of the off-roading world. They work (most of the time) but they are blocky and have looks only a mother (or a REALLY dedicated fan) could love. It also sounds like parts may soon be about as available for either.
Old January 1, 2014, 07:06 AM   #38
trigger643

It's nice to find a gun that really works for you. I have several friends that really like the Rugers. I've just never been able to get comfortable on them, as I can with some of my others. Here are 4 that work better for me.

Old January 1, 2014, 07:51 AM   #39
KMAX

I don't know that I would say there is no better 45, but my nephew let me shoot his P90. I liked it and would buy one if the price was right. I also liked the Sig P220, but they are a little pricey for my budget at this point. I may trade for one some time in the future.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 1, 2014, 12:10 PM   #40
CDW4ME

Glock 30 or 36 is better - IMO.
Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Ed Brown are certainly better.
Old January 1, 2014, 12:15 PM   #41
Don P

All I will add to this is, as in the majority of threads, statements made are just opinions and opinions are neither right nor wrong, just someones personal viewpoint on the item being discussed. Just like some folks believe Glock is the 1 and only, 1911's are the one and only, and so on and so on.
Old January 1, 2014, 01:01 PM   #42
s4s4u

Quote:
There Is No Better 45, Than a Ruger P Series 45
I love the P95. Bought my daughter one when she moved out on her own. I just don't see the sense in that fat double stack handle holding a single stack stick. The P345 just feels odd in my hand. I must disagree.
Old January 1, 2014, 01:20 PM   #43
8MM Mauser

Quote:
It's nice to find a gun that really works for you. I have several friends that really like the Rugers. I've just never been able to get comfortable on them, as I can with some of my others. Here are 4 that work better for me.
Nice collection you have there! Those are some awesome .45's.

http://benjaminraber.hubpages.com/
Old January 1, 2014, 03:55 PM   #44
DaleA

Hey Weblance-things might have been getting a little boring around here - I don't think stirring the pot hurts anything.

One of the things I like about this place is people can put out an opinion with a little something to back it up and folks agree or disagree with their opinions and reasons and at the end of the day we (hopefully) get a little something out of it.

I seem to remember all sorts of weird torture tests that Ruger and the gun magazines did to show off how strong the Ruger P series guns were when they came out with them. (I think Ruger plugged the barrel on one and fired it. I could be mis-remembering that though.)

I'm on record as being both a Ruger fan and saying the Springfield RO is the 'best' .45 but I liked your post.

The price is sure a factor...I'll be on the lookout for Ruger P series and if the price is right...well you may have talked me into getting one to see what all the fuss is about.
Old January 1, 2014, 05:03 PM   #45
Northrider

I have three .45acp semi automatics, one of them is a P90. I enjoy shooting it for several of the reasons already mentioned. I got mine used at a gun show, but it shows very little wear. It is accurate, fits my hand well, and in my opinion, under priced.

Shoot safe and often
Old January 1, 2014, 05:05 PM   #46
KyJim

Quote:
I like a Double Action pistol better than a Single Action. I know this will ruffle some feathers, but its just how I feel.
Why would it ruffle feathers? Nobody here is getting royalty payments on the design of single action systems. There a lot of shooters who like double action better. I'm not one of them but that's okay. Everyone is entitled to her opinion.

Obviously, you knew that hardly anybody would agree with your statement that the P Series 45 was the best 45 out there. I'm just glad you found a type of pistol you could bond with.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old January 1, 2014, 05:13 PM   #47
bac1023

I agree that they're excellent values. However, the OP seriously needs to expand his horizons a bit before making a statement like that.

You're comparing it to an entry level 1911 and a polymer combat pistol. That's it? How do you feel qualified to make a statement like that?

Also, since when did "better" include the price? You should have said there is no better 45ACP for the money, which is totally different. I would agree that the P90 is one of the best 45ACPs you can buy for $350. In fact, I got mine in like new condition for under $300.
Old January 1, 2014, 07:44 PM   #48
Mystro

Exactly. The OP has to get around some higher end guns before making such a bold proclamation. Not too many Rugers on the IPSC or IDPA course.
Saving a Honda Civic is the best car in the world doesn't make it so.
I have shot just about everything and own ALOT of handguns. I am also a RO with a tactical handgun competition background.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 1, 2014, 08:09 PM   #49
mk70ss

Apparently the OP has never heard of the model 1911 series of pistols. I love Rugers too, but.......wake up
Old January 1, 2014, 09:33 PM   #50
weblance

I have a 1911. Apparently you didnt read the OP. 1911s dont inspire me. They are large, heavy, old fashioned pistols. Tell me how a 1911, which costs at least twice as much, doesnt have Double Action capability, better accuracy, capacity, or reliability, be any better?
Closed Thread