The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2013, 02:47 AM   #1
Hammerfoot

Stoeger Cougar 8045

What are everybody's thoughts on the Stoeger Cougar 8040 or 8045? How up-gradable is it and what kind of accessories can you get on it? I'm looking to get one and I really love the feel of it and the manufacturing of it.
Old December 31, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
BarryLee

I came very close to buying an 8045 when they were still made by Berretta, but went with another brand. I’ve always liked them and felt they were a great deal, but just always wanted something else just a bit more.

As I’m sure you know they are now manufactured by Stoeger which is a subsidiary of Beretta. The manufacturing is done in Turkey using Beretta tooling. As far as I know the guns still have a good reputation and appear to be a great value for the price. Just upon casual inspection it does appear that the actual finish isn’t quite as nice as before, but that’s just based on one gun I looked at.

As for accessories I assume all previous Beretta items will work, but you might want to check with some manufactures just to be certain.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; December 31, 2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old December 31, 2013, 05:12 PM   #3
ShipWreck

I bought one a year or two back. I was surprised that it actually had less felt recoil than a 5" stainless steel 1911 in 45ACP.

My problem is that I only like guns with rubber grips. There are none made anymore - but I found a LNIB paid for $80. Unfortunately - that made the grip too fat. I ended up selling it.

The hammer and hammer spring from a 92FS will interchange. Nice looking gun with the rail on the frame IMHO
Old December 31, 2013, 05:53 PM   #4
jglsprings

I've had the Stoeger and Berretta models in 9mm, 40 S&W and the 45ACP. They are great shooters. The guns soak up the recoil. Never had a problem with any of them.

What I didn't like is the fact that they are really service size pistols. The grips are "full" - like the big Beretta 92. And, it for the size it didn't work for me as a carry gun. YMMV.

"Extras" and "add ons" are few and far between. The magazines are on the pricey side.

They are beautiful guns though...

Beretta...

Stoeger...

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.
Old December 31, 2013, 09:46 PM   #5
DannyB1954

I thought about getting one just because the rotating barrel is a novelty, but it is a big heavy gun. Beretta came out with it about the same time that the Glocks came out. People who carried all day went with the Glock, even as a service weapon.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:16 PM   #6
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I honestly love these guns. They are on my top ten favorite under-rated pistols.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 31, 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
ShipWreck

Glocks we out several years before the cougars, Danny.

I bought a 9mm Beretta immediately after they came out.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:09 AM   #8
wbw

I've got the 8045 and this 8000 in 9mm. Both are great guns in my opinion. I do like the rotating barrel novelty.

Old January 1, 2014, 12:39 PM   #9
cdbeagle

I was late getting into handguns and my first purchase was a Stoeger Cougar in 9mm. Own eight handguns now but the Cougar is still my favorite even though it is the least expensive. My daughter chose one when she turned 21 also.
Old January 1, 2014, 08:14 PM   #10
DannyB1954

I stand corrected. The Glock 40 S&W came out in 1990, The Cougar in 1994. Beretta was not able to effectively market it to law enforcement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_8000

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g22
Glock was producing guns in the early 1980's but the 40S&W which law enforcement moved to came out much later.

Last edited by DannyB1954; January 1, 2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old January 1, 2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Fox84

I have three Cougars 9,40 and 45. I'am thinking of culling some of the collection and these may go. Nice guns tho, never had any issues with them.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Bart Noir

If you want the lighter weight of polymer frames, and like the rotating barrel idea, then the Beretta Px4 is the gun for you.

And you can get it in full (service) size or compact. The subcompact has a conventional tilting barrel.

Bart Noir
Who has the Stoeger 9mm and likes it quite a bit, in spite of the fat grip.

Tags
8040 , 8045 , cougar , stoeger