The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
k511

AR vs AK...pistols

Long story short, I'm torn between the two...which would you choose and why?
Purpose is just for fun, I already have firearms to fill about every nitch there is...
Old December 31, 2013, 12:54 AM   #2
TXAZ

I have a Drako (AK pistol) that I really like. It is it's pretty heavy with a 30 or 100 round magazine, but how many pistols have that capacity, and the 30 mag can be a great hand hold.
Old December 31, 2013, 01:49 AM   #3
mellow_c

I'd go with the AK just because of ammo costs.
Old December 31, 2013, 03:20 AM   #4
745SW

I think the AK platform is better suited as a short gun rather than the AR. Not very long ago I traded/swapped away a very short barreled Olympic AR, probably a 12” barrel with very long flash thingy, to a familiar that was never shot. Sometime afterward we went into some distant desert area in the night and I took along a never shot Intratec AB 10 with a 2” barrel while he had the said AR. While both would fire, neither would cycle with 9mm WWB and, I think, Federal American Eagle 5.56.

The likely cause was too light ammo I suppose. Call me spoiled but I like to think my arms would run with virtually anything I feed it. I parted with all of my short AR’s and Intratec’s leaving only the full size 20” barrel and fixed stock versions. My AK’s aren’t going anywhere.

Another aspect of the AK I find appealing is the super low bore axis relative to the pistol grip. Eventually hope to eliminate the fixed butt stock of the AK with something and still be legit.
Old December 31, 2013, 04:11 AM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
with the AR pistol platform you can get a pseudo cheek weld with a carbine length buffer tube. It's more practical than the flat back of the AK receiver, anyway. If I were looking to eventually SBR the thing I'd get the AK in 7.62 because of ammo. If I could have anything and logistics didn't matter it would be the AR in .300 BLK as a pistol while I wait for the SBR form to clear.
Old December 31, 2013, 05:23 AM   #6
kcub

Aren't AR pistols longer due to the tube sticking out the back? Thus AK is better if you want to carry in a laptop bag in public surrepticiously.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Sharkbite

AR pistol chambered in 300 blkout. Add a Sig brace to the tube and youve got a pistol that is just as effective as a SBR (without the paperwork BS)

And a cartridge that works well in a short barrel. Both the 223 and x39 lose alot out of barrels shorter then about 14"

Thats the reason people claim the Blkout is better then the x39. In short barrels (9" or so) the 300 blk shines. I cant get pics of mine to load but its the cats meow for a little "rifle"
Old December 31, 2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Skans

If you have to ask this question, then you better get one of each. While you still can.
Old December 31, 2013, 02:37 PM   #9
chris in va

As I reload 223, I vote for the AR.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:16 AM   #10
Justice06RR

^ Chris, there are AK's in 5.56 also

This is really a toss-up. You will just have to pick which one you think is better in your hands and which platform you want to go with.

I've handled and shot both AR and AK pistols and like them both.

I own a Draco 12" AK pistol for about a year now and I like it very much. The 12" chrome-lined barrel still gives great ballistics out of a very compact package. I believe my Draco AK measures at a very compact 22" total length IIRC. Using a sling to stabilize the AK when shooting and it is very effective with that method.

An equivalent AR pistol will normally be have a longer OAL because of the receiver extension. You'd need to go really short on the barrel (maybe 7.5") on an AR pistol if you want a compact gun.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:23 AM   #11
skizzums

depends, if you wanna save a ton on ammo and go the 545x45 route, but i hear suplus is just about dried up, to me it would really depend on caliber choice, i would persoally want either the 223 or the 762x39, if you build an AR pistol your out about 700$ if you the cheap route, AK pistol is around 400$ on centerfire rifle systems

so just depends on your budget and what caliber you want, personally i feel you could get full size ak ranges out of an AR pistol,and thats the route i would go

but they also make the ak pistol with a pseudo buffer tube for support just like the ar pistol
http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-zastava-....-p-63024.html

if you go AR you can get a 7inch upper from model1sales for 350$
Old January 3, 2014, 02:04 PM   #12
JD0x0

IMO AK. Cheap ammo. The 7.62x39 works better in an extremely short barrel than the 5.56 IMO. You tend to lose more velocity with the small-bore 5.56, so now you're shooting light bullets at unimpressive velocities, rather than heavy bullets, at unimpressive velocities. From what I can tell velocity will be fairly close, the 5.56 shooting maybe 100-200fps faster, with bullets less than HALF the weight of the 7.62x39
The AK should also be shorter with an equal length barrel. They both will have a fair bit of muzzle blast, but according to someone who owns both AR and AK pistols, the AR apparently has more muzzle blast.

According to BBTI a 7'' barrel in .223 will fire a 55grain bullet just under 2200fps
According to chrono'd ammo from a 7'' AK pistol using Brown Bear 7.62x39 7'' pistol velocities are just under 2000fps.
This gives you roughly. 591ft-lbs muzzle energy from the 7'' 5.56AR
and 1093ft-lbs of muzzle energy from a 7'' AK
That's over 500ft/lbs difference in equal length barrels.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:34 PM   #13
bamaranger

positive

Ok, I'm gonna stay positive. You can get one, they're a hoot to shoot (probably), its your money, and as Elmer Keith stated "I'm for any sport that burns powder". OK

Elmer had his opinions though, so here's mine....other than novelty, what is the attraction of these AK/AR handguns? I can't think of anything I might attempt with one, that I might not accomplish better with a SBR or a pistol.

Stated that to a local LEO acquaintance and he started on about w/ a dot it was a "100 yd weapon" and on and on. I ain't buyin' it.

So if you got one, other than the hoot factor, and the fact that "you can", which I understand, does it serve a purpose in your arsenal?
Old January 4, 2014, 01:34 AM   #14
BornToLooze

I had a Rossi Ranch Hand (pistol version of Winchester Model 92) and after checking out a bump in the night it is a lot easier to handle than a full size rifle. Also with an AR or AK pistol it would give you something to shoot while you're waiting on your SBR tax stamp.
Old January 4, 2014, 02:40 AM   #15
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
what is the attraction of these AK/AR handguns? I can't think of anything I might attempt with one, that I might not accomplish better with a SBR or a pistol.
That's what's so great about the SIG SB15 "arm brace", now you can have an AR or AK pistol that functions just like an SBR without the registrations, tax stamp, and possession restrictions.
Old January 4, 2014, 06:47 AM   #16
crashxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Stated that to a local LEO acquaintance and he started on about w/ a dot it was a "100 yd weapon" and on and on. I ain't buyin' it.

An ar-15, ak47, or ak74 with a red dot is easily a 300 yd weapon.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:53 PM   #17
skizzums

yes, any of those with a dot is def at least a 100yd gun, i would also go as far as to say 300yd on the 223
Old January 4, 2014, 10:13 PM   #18
Sharkbite

Remember... We are talking about pistol length barrels here. Ive all but given up on 223/556 barrels less the 12" (14 is better).

All the short AK's ive handled were chop jobs done in the Stan. Ran ok with the ports opened up but no velocity data to be had. Nice in a hilux w/o a stock on it through

If you really want a GREAT platform do an AR in 300blk with a 9" barrel and a sig brace. Cant beat it for shoot ability... Size... Performance....

You can get smaller but you give up ALOT of umph (is that a word?)
Old January 4, 2014, 11:12 PM   #19
crashxl

Sorry but I just don't understand the point of a sbr. If you want a compact rifle just get a ar-15 with a collapsible stock. I you don't like ar-15's then get a bull pup of your choice. Either way you end up with a compact package that still has full length barrel.
Old January 5, 2014, 04:27 AM   #20
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
Ive all but given up on 223/556 barrels less the 12"
I agree 100%. I would never own a 5.56 shorter than 12"; you just lose too much velocity in my opinion.

Quote:
If you really want a GREAT platform do an AR in 300blk with a 9" barrel
This! A supersonic 300 Blackout round still is very effective out of a 9" barrel. And that length is perfect for subsonic ammo with a suppressor, though supersonic ammo works great with a suppressor too.

Quote:
You can get smaller but you give up ALOT of umph (is that a word?)
You mean "umph" or "alot"? "Oomph" is a real word, but "a lot" is actually a two-word phrase, not a single word.
Old January 5, 2014, 09:18 AM   #21
stmichps

While I have both, I personally would recommend the AR only cause of the versatility of the platform. If you want a 5.56, 300 Blk, 7.62 Rus, 450 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf or anything in between. You probably can have a pistol upper made in it.

In addition I would suggest you look up a Tac Con 3MR Trigger for the AR platform.

www.tacfirecon.com

By the way they also make a Sig arm brace () for the AK pistols as well...

Last edited by stmichps; January 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old January 5, 2014, 04:54 PM   #22
k511

Well,,I went the AK route..here's my m92 krinkov. Came with the aftermarket parts new in box as well as a wood set that's needs refinishing... have 300 rounds threw it already with zero problems...accuracy using the single point sling and pushing against it combined with the AFG and red dot is better than I thought ( I'm only shooting out to 50 yards). But so far its a kick in the pants!! And that's what I got it for, fun...
Old January 5, 2014, 11:20 PM   #23
skizzums

cool gun k511, i will prob go the ar route though, i would perfer the ak pistol for power, but too expensive to get brass to reload, ive tried the whole drilling out the berdan primers and nail polisih on the boxer primers, but too much hassle and too iffy on the safety aspect
and unfortuneatly, if i cant reload for it, i wont buy it, but thats is still a bad-arse gun, that would be my goto HD gun fo sho
Old January 6, 2014, 03:06 AM   #24
bamaranger

300 yds

Still ain't buyin' it. An AK pistol, with a dot, getting consistent, practical, hits at now a claimed 300 yds. I've watched to many guys miss a 10-12" gong at 100-150 yds with a full sized AK's and AR's , off a support (under competition stress) to believe that a dot makes one of these giant pistols more accurate and manageable.

Can somebody post a pic of this Sig brace thing???
Old January 6, 2014, 04:15 AM   #25
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
Can somebody post a pic of this Sig brace thing???
Stmichpis already posted a pic of one in post #21.

My buddy has a 9" 300 Blackout pistol with a SIG arm brace. Of course we don't use it as an arm brace (nobody does), we just shoulder it like it's an SBR. And it's not too hard to hit a 12" steel plate at 300 yards with supersonic ammo using an EOTech sight with the 300 Blackout reticle.