The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Runt1122

XD9 Subcompact vs SR9C

Went to the range today with a buddy. We are both new gun owners. I own an XD9 SC, he just bought an SR9C. This is the 3rd time I have shot my XD and have been very impressed with its reliability. I would say my groupings are not very tight with it though. I tried the SR and was much more accurate. I loved the front sight on the SR9C. I also liked the way the Ruger felt in my hand. So the old wheels started spinning and I began wondering if I should look at trading the XD SC for an SR9C. I also own an SR22 and have been very happy with it so far too. Any thoughts? Would they be of equal value?

I should also add that I bought my XD used. So I am not the first owner, it is in very good condition.
Old December 30, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2
TunnelRat

If you want the SR get one.
Old December 30, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3
TheRaskalKing

I like them both. Both are highly reliable and either would serve you well. If you shoot the Ruger better and it feels better in your hand, do it.

I really feel like there's not a real quantifiable difference or better/worse choice in that price point, YMMV. SR, XD, SigPro, etc. As long as it's reliable, shoots straight, and if it feels better in your hand than something else, go for it.

Just don't buy a Glock
Old December 30, 2013, 11:23 PM   #4
tahunua001

I am pretty big into both springfield and ruger pistols. I currently carry a SR9C but just ordered a new holster so I can start carrying my XDM45 compact. the XDM fits me better and I am much more accurate with it. the SR does have nicer sights but the XDM by far has the better trigger.

comparing to a barebones XD I would say the ruger is probably the superior firearm after a sufficient breakin(or after mag disconnect removal which I did on mine) but if it were the XDM I would in no way consider trading one for the other. be warned that being the 2nd owner you are not likely to get an SR9C straight across and would be best served to sell the XD to a private party to get the most out of it and then buy the SR9C. if you like the SR more then get it, you will likely shoot it more than a gun that you do not like.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old December 30, 2013, 11:24 PM   #5
TheRaskalKing

^^^What he said.
Old December 31, 2013, 01:43 AM   #6
DannyB1954

I have and like the SR9c. I believe the bore axis is lower on the Ruger than the XD. I may at a future time disable the magazine safety, (easy to do), but for now it doesn't get in my way.
Old December 31, 2013, 02:09 AM   #7
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
Just don't buy a Glock
Poke the bear a little more, why don't you?

Anyways, if you shoot the SR better, it may be worth your while to get one. However, if you are having these thoughts about your XD already, maybe you should consider shooting a few other options first. It would be a shame if you were to get the SR only to find that you like something else even better.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 2, 2014, 08:35 AM   #8
IdahoG36

My brother owns a SR9c, and I shot it recently for the first time at the range a couple of months ago. I was very impressed with the accuracy of it. The first mag I shot through it was approx. a 2" group at 10 yards.

He has shot close to 1000 rounds through it so far and it has been 100% reliable for him.
Hk 45C, Hk VP9 9mm, Hk P30S 9mm, Walther PPQ M2 Navy SD 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm, Beretta 21A Bobcat, Spreewerke CYQ P38, Ruger LCP .380, S&W 360 SC .357 Mag, Patriot Ordnance P415, Patriot Ordnance P308, Kel Tec KSG 12ga, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Mosin Nagant M91/30 1934 Tula, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle, Tikka T3 CTR
Old January 2, 2014, 10:16 PM   #9
Erikbal

I also own an SR9c and have been very happy with it. It's been 100% reliable and I find it to be very accurate. It also fits my hands perfectly. I do like the XDs as well, though I've never shot one myself.
Old January 3, 2014, 01:51 AM   #10
Justice06RR

I've owned both the XD9 and XD40 subcompacts in the past, and currently own a SR9c.

I would say from experiene that they are about even. It will really come down to user preference. I like both the XD and the SR pistols. Each one offers something different but IMO there isn't a large advantage from one to the other.

The XD's will be more top-heavy because of the bigger/heavier slide while the SR9's will be a tad lighter and slimmer. They have different safety mechanisms, so it will all depend on which type you prefer as the end user.

Quote:
comparing to a barebones XD I would say the ruger is probably the superior firearm after a sufficient breakin(or after mag disconnect removal which I did on mine) but if it were the XDM I would in no way consider trading one for the other. be warned that being the 2nd owner you are not likely to get an SR9C straight across and would be best served to sell the XD to a private party to get the most out of it and then buy the SR9C. if you like the SR more then get it, you will likely shoot it more than a gun that you do not like.
IMHO the Ruger is not superior to the XD but on par with each other.

The reason I have the SR9c is because I prefer a thumb safety over a grip safety, but that is purely a preference.

To the OP, if you really want a SR9c then get one. Its a great pistol. But in my book, the XD is just as good. I've had zero issues and malfunctions with both guns.

Your accuracy issues are mostly shooter related, and partially gun related. Practice enough with your XD9 and you'll be just as accurate.
Old January 3, 2014, 02:28 AM   #11
tahunua001

the reason I said that the SR9 was superior was based on personal comparison.

the SR9 and XD have about the same trigger after break in so that's a wash
the SR9 has higher ammo capacity
the SR9 has better sights and longer sight radius.
the SR9 has rounded edges so it is easier to conceal.

it was simple pros vs cons that lead me to say that the SR9 was superior. albiet not by much but it is still superior.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:23 AM   #12
Justice06RR

In that case, yes I agree with the pro's you listed

I love my SR9c (two-tone). The added mag capacity and more compact size does make it nicer to handle. But I still would recommend a XD9sc to anyone.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:17 AM   #13
loose_holster_dan

both are great lower-middle class weapons. IMO the sr9c is the best striker fire gun you can get for the money. i've never owned one, but have shot multiple. i've been very impressed. my father still carries his xd9sc. it's a good gun, but i like the ergos better on the sr9c, and you can buy the big mag for it to use at the range.

as to the glock, i've never found a striker fire i like less than the s&w sigma, but the glock was close.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 3, 2014, 01:19 PM   #14
tahunua001

Quote:
I love my SR9c (two-tone). The added mag capacity and more compact size does make it nicer to handle. But I still would recommend a XD9sc to anyone.
I concur.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:27 PM   #15
DannyB1954

I carry with one in the chamber. I am usually with the SR9c, but I do own a Glock 27. The SR9 has a much easier trigger, and if not for the thumb safety, I would be uncomfortable with it. The Glock has no external safety and the trigger is a littler stiffer.
Old January 4, 2014, 11:51 PM   #16
Fishbed77

In my experience the SR9 and SR9C are much better shooters (or they are easier to shoot well) than the XD9s. My brother owns an SR9 that has been extremely reliable. They are well-built pistols.

That said, I just can't get past the foolish magazine safety and manual safety, both of which are awkward and unnecessary for a constant-action striker-fired carry pistol.
Old January 4, 2014, 11:57 PM   #17
LockedBreech

I much prefer the SR9c to the XD9 Subcompact, but I will not go as far as to say it's objectively superior.

The one real point in the XD9's favor, in my opinion, is the lack of safety junk, but the SR9c's variable magazines and solid trigger play in its favor pretty strongly.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | Rock Island GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP; 10/22 | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Remington 870 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 |1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30 | Walther PPS