The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2013, 02:25 AM   #1
waltherp88

Steyr AUG

I got a Steyr AUG for Christmas and I wanted to start reloading for it. I have CFE 223 powder that I use for my AR. I wanted to use 55 gr FMJ and I cannot find data for FMJ. Does anyone reload for one of these and have data and is there anything else I need to know when reloading for this gun. Thanks in advance for any information.
Old December 30, 2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Sure shot wv

I'm sorry I can't help with the 223 data as i don't load for 223 but I must say...

I think you have officially gotten the sweetest Xmas gift I've heard yet!! Congrats!
Old December 30, 2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Roughedge

You should be able to use the data for the SPR SP , The only difference is the tip.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Nordeste

Can't help you with your reloads, but I gotta tell you how lucky you are. That is a heck of a rifle. I shot one a few years ago, and just loved everything on it. It's great, nice to shoot, comfortable to move around in tactical drills. Just loved it.

Hope you enjoy it.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Agree with Roughedge; go by the Hodgdon data for 55 grain softpoint.
It will shoot FMJs nearly the same.

What were you loading CFE with in your AR that you do not think will translate to the AUG?

That is what the boring fine print about "starting loads" and "working up" is about.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Sharkbite

I had a Micro-tech STG556 AUG clone. It ate all the same stuff i fed my ARs. Never had a problem mixing ammo from one to the other
Old January 1, 2014, 12:21 PM   #7
chiefr

Grafs carries .329 bullets and brass or they used to. I stocked up years ago. Lee makes dies. Some people shoot .323 bullets out of theirs, but accuracy suffers.
Cartridges of the world has some reload data. If you can't find bullets, you will have to cast. The old Austrian Mannlichers are fun to shoot. Plenty of info on the net.