The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

Product Review: CTS Gen2 Motorized Brass Trimmer

There are very few things in my humble opinion that is as rewarding as trying to achieve the most accurate ammo as possible assembled by your very own hands from your reloading bench. To be able to strike that steel plate 200, 300, 600 yards away or shooting those sub MOA groups at varying distances is a very rewarding accomplishment. To achieve that sort of satisfaction with reloaded rifle ammunition and bottleneck cartridges uniform trimming of your brass becomes essential. I find trimming the most time-consuming step in the process of reloading and up until now absolutely hated it. I think if you ask any reloader to name the most tedious part of rifle case prep, more often than not, the overwhelming answer will be trimming. To avoid trimming rifle brass I would often purchase additional once fired fully prepared brass to avoid the tedious process of trimming. I have used many manual trimmers and they all work as advertised but the process can be quite strenuous. There is also several cost effective power trimming options I have used that are available on the market that can be mounted in your cordless power drill or drill press. This class of trimmers work very well and are less strenuous yet it still was not as fulfilling as pulling the lever on the press and watching completed rounds fall into the bin. With so many empty 223 and 308 once fired and range pickup cases it just didn't make since to continue with my dislike of trimming. I then began scouring the Internet for a high volume powered trimmer and I found CTS Engineering.

This has now become my favorite reloading tool --- sick huh but thats how easy it makes trimming.
Visit CTS Gen2 Trimmer Review For the full review and youtube video of it in action.
Old December 29, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Vance

Neat tool. Does the company have a web site? I can't seem to find them.

Last edited by Vance; December 29, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old December 29, 2013, 09:50 PM   #3
F. Guffey

https://www.google.com/#q=RCBS+case+...enter&tbm=shop

I have the RCBS case prep center complete with link.

F. Guffey
Old December 29, 2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Vance

The CTS Gen 2 is the device on the right side of the picture that has the blue case holder on top with the three holes surrounding it. If you follow the link to the full review and watch the video, you will see it in action.
Old December 30, 2013, 08:29 AM   #5
F. Guffey

First, I want to know the price. I have forming dies, I have files and the man tool 'the hack saw'.

This thread reminds me of the times someone tried to sell me something they manufactured, or worse, they talked another member into starting the thread.

F. Guffey
Old December 30, 2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Vance

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was interested until I emailed the cts guy. The price is $349 + $17 shipping and handling. It includes 2 shell holders of your choice of calliber.

That amount would get me a Dillon Rapid Trim 1200 with 3 or 4 size/trim dies and the dillon trimmer has a port for you to hook up a shop vac so the brass shavings don't get everywhere. The dies for the dillon also size your cases, then trims them to legnth.

I think I will continue to use the Lee case trimmers I have for now. At least until I need to do cases in the numbers needed to justify the cost of either setup.
Old December 30, 2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Mr.RevolverGuy

Sorry guys I was away.

I am not here to sell anything and no one convinced me to post for them. If you look at my site you will see I have no sponsors at all which means I am an independent not benefiting from anything I review other than the joy of sharing. My site is sponsored by me only and the reason I and the other Authors write the reviews is to provide an outlet for unbiased reviews of this great sport/past time we enjoy.

Again I am not here to sell or knock anyone elses product but the reason I didn't go Dillon was simply because of the noise of the trimmer and shop vac going at the same time I felt like I couldn't hear myself think and I wanted an off press motorized trimmer. I was able to try out a number of these classes of trimmers through reloading buddies, Giraud, Dillon, RCBS and I decided on this one as it met my needs and budget. This trimmer captures all shavings and keeps them from being thrown all over the shop, when full or when I feel like it, I just vacuum out the canister with a shop vac.
Old December 30, 2013, 10:10 AM   #8
F. Guffey

I thought there were too many flowers in your opening/introduction. The only piece of information I wanted was the price, in your review, next time start with the price then try to sell me one.

F. Guffey
Old December 30, 2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Mr.RevolverGuy

Start with price then try to sell you one? I really don't care if you own one or not

I published this review for something I purchased, I was uncomfortable publishing price without the manufactures permission which is why I didn't post price. I prefer you go to them for that. I don't want to be dragged into court for something so minor as pricing change and me having to keep the price updated. And I have seen someone over a blog be dragged into court for not keeping the price updated in something they wrote and they were held liable for it.
Old December 30, 2013, 11:22 AM   #10
F. Guffey

OK, next time start with:

I purchased one of these tools for $350.00 +/- a few + shpping etc., your millage may vary.

F. Guffey
Old December 30, 2013, 01:31 PM   #11
precision_shooter

The OP is not trying to sell anything here. Price is irrelevant for his review. He provided a link and gave the mfg name where anyone who is interested can do a search and find the info they need if they wanted to know more before purchasing.
No need to bash the guy for a review of a consumer product that he purchased as a consumer, not as a salesman making a sales pitch.

Maybe try to keep the comments respectful and on topic...

OP,

Thanks for the nice review. It's nice to see companies come up with new ideas and designs to further our enjoyment of reloading. Although, some of the best ideas/designs seldom take hold with the masses whether it be due to lack of brand recognition, poor marketing, price point, or just bad timing.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old December 30, 2013, 08:12 PM   #12
1stmar

While I have a 550b I don't use it for rifle, I typically reload rifle on a single stage, smaller volume with more attention to detail and in batches of work process. Ie all case prep, all primed, all charged etc.. For these reasons I didn't consider the Dillon. I looked at the giraud and I believe it was $450. A bit steep. I have been using the lee cutters and it's tedious but works well. I thought the cts was a good solution. Maybe a bit more then I wanted to spend, but I can justify it based on the number of calibers I will trim. Frankly if it was 20$ more I probably wouldn't have got it. It was right at the top of my limit. I believe it is also has a smaller footprint then the giraud. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for the review mrg.
Old December 30, 2013, 08:44 PM   #13
Hunter Customs

Mr.RevolverGuy, thanks for the review.
Like you I hate trimming brass especially 223 brass.
I've been thinking of adding a power trimmer to my reloading shop, I'll check out the CTS trimmer.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 30, 2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Slamfire

I prefer my Gracey, it trims to length and bevels and deburrs at the same time. That red machine with the beveling and deburring tools, you get your fingers on those cutters and it will be bye, bye, to your finger tips.
Old December 30, 2013, 10:58 PM   #15
higgite

It wouldn't have hurt for the OP to tell us how much HE paid for HIS trimmer. That would in no way obligate nor limit the manufacturer from charging whatever he wants to charge for future units. Nor would it make the OP liable for misrepresenting the manufacturer, unless not divulging the price was a condition of sale. Plus, it's always good to know what a product costs. Especially one that the reviewer gushes over.

Otherwise, a good review. Looks like a good product. If I didn't already have a Giraud trimmer, I'd give this one a serious look.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:44 AM   #16
F. Guffey

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft%202.html

I do not have a trimmer from little Crow, I do like the sales pitch with the daughter holding the camera, and the price? $70.00.

F. Guffey
Old December 31, 2013, 08:35 AM   #17
1stmar

I liked the wft as well but I was looking for a tool that was all encompassing and not dependent upon a hand drill. Cts has a similar product to wft.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Mr.RevolverGuy

Wow I am at a lost here over so much controversy over a review when I was just trying to give back to the community.

I can go out and take pictures if you like, I have the 2 WFT's, Possom Hollow, Lee Trimmer, Wilson Trimmer, RCBS Trimmer and they all work great and all are at different price points. I have seen others with the same argument of why pay the price for WFT when I can buy the Lee. Again they are all different price points, serving a different use case.

I wanted something for high volume trimming that contained all the shavings,and didn't cause hand or elbow fatigue in long trimming sessions. Even though I and my website are focused on providing unbiased reviews I am not going to bash these other products here because this is about the CTS trimmer, and all those other products work well and fit the use cases they were made for, I have just grown past them.

I was not given anything or no sort of agreement for not mentioning price, I was a regular user off the street to this product just like anyone else. I won't rehash but I stated why I didn't mention the product price and higgite (thanks for the support) has given good advice and brings up a good point -- we learn as we grow if you aren't then oh well

Just like I now have a different use case and have grown beyond the other trimmers, maybe there are others out there in the same boat and will benefit from this review. I do not expect this trimmer to fit everyone's needs or use case.

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; December 31, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old December 31, 2013, 01:13 PM   #19
Mr.RevolverGuy

CTS Trimmer Follow Up

First and foremost I am not great at making videos, this is only the third one I have made. Hopefully the quality is good enough to answer the questions I am being asked about brass shavings. As time goes on hopefully I will get better and incorporate more videos into the reviews on this site.

Upon posting the initial review I received a number of questions about the containment of brass shavings and if contained how would you empty them out. In this short video the shavings in the bottom of the container is about 40 cases worth of 308 shavings. The brass shavings are contained by a very thick polycarbonate plate that totally encompasses the trimmer preventing shavings from being thrown all over your shop floor. There are also three holes in the top, by placing a shop vac over one of the holes and covering the other two will make short work of emptying out your trimmer.

Hopefully this picture and short video will clearly demonstrate what I am talking about and answer the questions pertaining to the brass shavings

CTSTrimmer Follow Up Video
Old January 2, 2014, 10:16 AM   #20
F. Guffey

You have covered the reloading forums like the wind, I noticed there has been no support on the Shooters Forum, with your approval I will post a response, that should get you 100% support or create more interest.

Seems strange, you do the review, then? You make all the excuses, seems the manufacturer should chime in, now we are back to you doing the review and then? You have changed hats and now you are trying to sell me one.

Are you in Florida? Do you know Larry Willis?

F. Guffey
Old January 2, 2014, 10:29 AM   #21
F. Guffey

" I then began scouring the Internet for a high volume powered trimmer and I found CTS Engineering"

Years ago I taught a class on discerning fact from fiction or as they say on the streets truth from nonsense. You being the review guy I wonder 'Why would you be looking for something to review?' And that causes me to believe they found you.

F. Guffey
Old January 2, 2014, 11:21 AM   #22
Mr.RevolverGuy

I just don't understand your rhetoric at all.

I don't need or care to have any support on the product of itself again it was my intent to let others know of the product I purchased that I am happy with, through my own website. I am not sure what you mean by making excuses, I don't need to make the excuses I stand by my review and my trimming unit --I can't speak for others or other units which might be shipped, because I have no inside retrospect to their QA process or anything.

F Guffey I will be honest with you as I have always been on the forums and keep conversation above board and not bashing. If you can't accept the review or believe in it without some sort of conspiracy theory or don't like the product then say it and move on I honestly do not care In no way do I benefit from it. It also doesn't look like you read the review, I didn't purchase a product "just for review" I wish I were that wealthy. I am not sure how you came about that conspiracy theory. I needed a trimmer for high volume trimming that would fit in my wife's budget as it was going to be a gift from her and this fit the bill. If down the road I find out this trimmer doesn't hold up I will surely come back here and warn others of that fact. You can feel free to post anything you like, I spent most of my life defending this great country of ours and the freedom of speech so you are entitled to, but please don't call my integrity into question as that moral trait means as much to me as my wife and children.

I also do not need or care to have your support on anything and really wouldn't care if anyone replied to the thread or not. Look at most of my post and it will redirect you back to my website where only unsponsored unbias reviews happen. I just recently started covering reloading gear because it is something I really love to do and it was a break from the normal firearm review. Based on your rhetoric I guess Hornady must have contacted me for this review also http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=3172 -- No sir they didn't. Again just sharing my experiences.

The second video came about because of questions via email and on forums, and most were very appreciative of it. Again I can really care less if you buy one or not. As for the manufacturer speaking up or defending as you called it how would they know I posted this? Do we know that they frequent these forums if so I would ask you my friend how would you know such and why are you asking me about people or names I know nothing about, I was a simple consumer just like walking into best buy and buying a stereo off the shelf. So to answer your question, I am not in Florida, I mentioned that I was blanketed with snow in one post I don't think it snows in Florida and I do not know the names you speak of.

It sounds like you may be closer and know way more about CTS than I do asking about all these names and by your attitude seems you have something against them. By this I think the roles are actually reversed it seems you know more than the rest of us, I am sure we would love to hear. Ya know on the other hand I really don't care to hear because this is about a product I purchased and reviewed for my website that I am very happy with and don't really care about all the other minutia that seems may be going on.

Respectufully,
Mr.Revolverguy
Old January 2, 2014, 11:28 AM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Unless someone has some proof that the OP is a shill for CTS, that line of interrogation will end now. We will not have slanderous nonsense.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:32 AM   #24
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
I prefer my Gracey, it trims to length and bevels and deburrs at the same time. That red machine with the beveling and deburring tools, you get your fingers on those cutters and it will be bye, bye, to your finger tips.
Slamfire this is a very good point, I wonder if Hornady has had any complaints about that.

Hmmmm
Old January 3, 2014, 11:02 AM   #25
Slamfire

Quote:
Quote:
Slamfire this is a very good point, I wonder if Hornady has had any complaints about that.
Don't know, and it is not important if anyone has complained to Hornady, as I can decide for myself. I used to trim using Lee tools and had to bevel and deburr separately . I bought an adapter which would allow the use of a cordless screwdriver, and the adapter would also fit into a drill press. The drill press rotated those cutting blades at high speeds and after having cases bind, I decided that those exposed cutting blades attached to a powerful motor were too dangerous for me.