The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 28, 2013, 07:32 PM   #1
JazzDoc

Colt LE6920MP-FDE or Rock River Arms Operator 3 Elite?

Hi All,
I'm interested in an AR-15 (223/5.56) in the $1,000 +/- a few hundred price range.

Two I've been looking at are the Colt LE6920MP-FDE and the Rock River Arms Operator 3 Elite.

I'd appreciate feedback from those in the know as to preference, and why.

Thanks in advance.
Old December 28, 2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Quentin2

There are a lot of good ARs today but it is SO hard to beat a Colt LE6920. And the Magpul furniture in FDE is a nice plus! RRA makes a decent rifle but I'd go Colt over it any day. Colt has made more M4s and M4geries than anyone else, they know how to do it right.

My only complaint, I prefer the midlength gas length over carbine length with a 16" barrel. For that reason I've gone with BCM and Daniel Defense which offer Colt quality and midlength gas.
Old December 28, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3
plouffedaddy

Colt here too. I'm certainly not a Colt fanboy but they do make good rifles and have very good CS should you ever need them. I have a 6920 and it's never skipped a beat and shoots 1.5-2'' groups without being free floated. No complaints here!
Old December 28, 2013, 10:34 PM   #4
plouffedaddy

Just saw this deal for a Colt 6920MP for $960 shipped and figured some folks clicking on this thread may be interested...
Old December 29, 2013, 01:27 AM   #5
Fishbed77

The easy answer here is the Colt 6920.
Old December 29, 2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Strafer Gott

The little pony, for all the right reasons. Totally known quality.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:57 PM   #7
orsogato

Colt sets the gold standard in ARs. Everybody else follows suit. I'd definitely go with the LE6920.
Old December 31, 2013, 02:37 AM   #8
Sweet Shooter

Looks like Colt is the knee jerk for everyone living in the past.

But for accuracy, the RRA Operator III has it beat, hands down. My opinion is the Op3 has better furniture if it's this version.

I say go RRA, for the money it can't be beat. Actually I've handled the RRA along side the H&K M556 (piston at 2600 dollars). If I could chose one for free I'd still go with the middy gas RRA.
-SS-
Old December 31, 2013, 05:25 PM   #9
CTS

I agree with sweet shooter. The Colt is a knee jerk reaction. Both are nice guns. My money would be on the RRA for the more accurate of the two plus a lifetime warranty.
Old January 2, 2014, 05:51 PM   #10
SVTCobra306

I'd get the Operator 3 if the look is what you like. They are a little "tacticooled" out for me, but not horribly so. RRA's trigger is going to be better than Colt's unless something has seriously changed recently on the LE6920.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old January 2, 2014, 08:04 PM   #11
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Don't get me wrong if I were going for accuracy in an AR I would go RRA with a 24" SS bull barrel. But in a combat sized rifle I'd pick the Colt. I have a 24" RRA that came with a either 3/4" or 1/2" guarantee at 100 yards. It actually will do better than that with good hand loads.

Colts are the standard for combat length guns. You can buy better you can buy worse.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 3, 2014, 01:43 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
Statement Fail.

If you want a fun hobby rifle, the RRA will serve nicely.

If you need a defensive rifle that will serve serious use, or you may take to a high-volume carbine class, you want the Colt.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:30 AM   #13
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I wouldn't trade my 24" bull barrel RRA for a Colt. But it is primarily for shooting 400 yards or so. I love the accuracy. I have no problem with RRA. I don't have any experience in a combat length RRA. The accuracy guarantee is no lie with the long barrels though. I get great groups with mine. I will never say anything bad about them at all. But if a combat gun is where your heart is Colt isn't a bad choice.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 3, 2014, 08:33 AM   #14
SVTCobra306

Or if you want the best of both worlds, a rifle that will withstand whatever beating the Colt will take (at a minimum), with the accuracy of the RRA and an adjustable trigger that doesn't define "suck"-and stay in the current price range- you should consider looking into an Armalite. My M15 is the rough equivalent of RRA's Midlength A4 with a couple of upgrades, and at a cheaper price point to boot.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:17 AM   #15
Sweet Shooter

Quote:
Fishbed77
Quote:
Statement Fail.

If you want a fun hobby rifle, the RRA will serve nicely.

If you need a defensive rifle that will serve serious use, or you may take to a high-volume carbine class, you want the Colt.
The RRA is a lot more than a fun hobby rifle (but it is certainly that). But if you're a Colt fan then get the Colt... there's no harm in it, people often throw money after internet hyperbole, then hang their hat on phrases like "Mil Spec" and fashionable trends like a rifles "operational weight" (because of how we are all Marines an' all). Talk to engineers and techs at H&K about Mil Spec and they will just laugh. I'd like to see someone shoot-out a RRA in five years of carbine classes.

My Sig M400 is twice the rifle the Colt is and costs a lot less, and my RRA leaves the Sig in the dust in many ways. Also another way of looking at it is if it's not quite right you can enhance it until the cows come home. And then change your mind.
-SS-
Old January 3, 2014, 10:38 AM   #16
btmj

The Colt and the RRA may be similarly priced, but dollar for dollar they are not equivalent. Since the original topic was about Rock River, I can only describe my thought process when I bought my Rock River. I paid 1000, and for a few dollars more I could have bought a Colt. But the Colt would not have had a free-float hand guard, or a fold down front sight gas block, or a real nice trigger. It would not have shot a 1 MOA group on the first trip to the range. To get all these features, I would have had to spend another 500 adding parts to it. And even then, with the standard barrel, I still might not have a 1 moa rifle.

With the Colt you get basically the same weapon that is currently procurred by the DOD, nothing more, nothing less. This pedigree does not confer some kind of magic durability properties which are absent in other ARs.
Old January 3, 2014, 02:39 PM   #17
semi_problomatic

What do you want to do with the tool? That is the question. You cannot walk into a room and say "I can get a roofing hammer or a sledge hammer dor about the same price, what should I get?"

Form follows function. What are your Needs for this tool to accomplish?
Old January 3, 2014, 04:08 PM   #18
CTS

I have to agree with those who said that the name Colt being on the side doesn't give it any magical qualities, no more durable than Daniel Defense, Noveske, Rock River, Stag and a whole host of other rifles in varying price ranges that will hold up just as well as the Colt, some maybe even better. You hear the same nonsense about 1911s. I got to tell you, Colt didn't invent the AR15 or the 1911. They just bought the patent from the people that did.
Old January 5, 2014, 02:36 AM   #19
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Colt didn't invent the AR but they most certainly perfected it or at least set the standard.

When you buy a Colt--you are buying QC and in the unlikely event it goes down, their CS.
-------Metallica
Old January 5, 2014, 03:10 AM   #20
LockedBreech

Colt LE6920MP-FDE or Rock River Arms Operator 3 Elite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Shooter View Post
Looks like Colt is the knee jerk for everyone living in the past

Silly statement. I prefer my DDM4, but the Colt 6920 earned the reference status it enjoys through consistent high quality and reliability. To disrespect the venerable reputation of the LE6920 is to fail to understand what people who drive their AR-15s hard are looking for in a rifle.

Which is not to disrespect RRA. By most reports they make a fine rifle. Given my druthers, though, it'd be the Colt.
Old January 5, 2014, 05:29 AM   #21
semi_problomatic

Again I wonder how anyone can suggest either rifle without knowing the user's intent.... They're completely different animals.

The colt would win for heavy use due to the chrome lined barrel and fixed front sight and IIRC they have better qc. The RRA has a hbar chrome moly barrel (not chrome lined), national match trigger, free floated forearm, and a M.O.A gaurontee....

Some other differences are twist rate, compensators/flash hiders, and furniture.

If his intended use is sitting at a bench for occasional target shooting, or as a hunting/varmint rig then the RRA could be a better fit for him due to the accuracy and features of the rifle.

If he wants to do mag dumps and carbine courses with a higher rate of fire and/or in more demanding conditions the colt may be the better option.

Why argue about which one is better? Better for what exactly?
Old January 5, 2014, 09:29 AM   #22
CTS

Quote:
Colt didn't invent the AR but they most certainly perfected it or at least set the standard.
They "perfected it" at the demands of the military because of problems either real or perceived with the original design. Many things that they did would not have been necessary had the military used the correct powder that was intended to be used instead of trying to cheap out on powder by using something they already had tons of. That and issued cleaning kits.

Quote:
Silly statement. I prefer my DDM4, but the Colt 6920 earned the reference status it enjoys through consistent high quality and reliability. To disrespect the venerable reputation of the LE6920 is to fail to understand what people who drive their AR-15s hard are looking for in a rifle.

Again, the only reason Colt enjoys the status they do is because they were forced to either make it work or lose the military contract, which they eventually did anyway. If another company had bought the contract from Armalite and won the original government contract you could just replace Colt with their name and everyone would be saying the same things about them.

Lastly, chrome lining is not the best thing going for preventing barrel wear. It was a stop gap measure that was done for other reasons entirely (like making the bore easier to clean) and ended up having some positive consequences like making it last longer. GIs were not dying in Vietnam due to worn out bores, they were dying due to fouled chambers causing actions to jam which was caused by the reasons I mentioned earlier, ball powder instead of protruded powder being used and lack of cleaning kits being issued, same reason they decided to add a forward assist. Melonite treated barrels have been proven to last 30% longer than chrome lined and not to have any negative effects on accuracy like chrome lining does.

Understand, I have nothing against Colt what so ever. They make fine weapons but they are by no means "the standard" by which all others should be judged in my opinion.

Last edited by CTS; January 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old January 5, 2014, 02:02 PM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
Understand, I have nothing against Colt what so ever. They make fine weapons but they are by no means "the standard" by which all others should be judged in my opinion.
Actually, for better of worse, they are the standard against which all others are compared due to Colt's use of the TDP.
Old January 5, 2014, 03:41 PM   #24
CTS

Then let me rephrase that. They may be the standard upon which others are judged but they are by no means at the top of the list. Some are better than the standard and some are not. Many are equal to.
And if that is the case, where does FN fit into the equation since they have the government contract now?
http://kitup.military.com/2013/02/ar...ntract-fn.html
Old January 5, 2014, 04:12 PM   #25
SVTCobra306

FN has had a piece of that government contract for a long time.. my rifle in BCT in 1999 was made by FN manufacturing, and it was far from new.