The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 31, 2013, 12:51 AM   #26
skizzums

i actually shoot ALOT of steel cased ammo, only on cheap rifles that i dont have an affiity for
2 problems: tulammo uses a bi-metal jacket, not only the case, its been tested times over to wear out a barrel in half the use

i use tula 223 in a cheap omni ar, its so brittle that the rim breaks off the case during extraction, around 1 in 50 rounds or so, always requiring a cleaning rod to bang it out

no probs from the sks or the vz-58, ive shot plenty of the 9mm w/o incident, but do understand that for several reasons it wears out components faster

BUT,if its all you have at the moment, i wouldnt see a prob using it a couple times if your just eager to get out and try the gun, just find some brass next time

the inoor range here doenstallow it, they say the reason is that when it flies up and gets stuck in the chain it breaks stuff instead of just getting crushed like the brass, i dunno? maybe

Last edited by skizzums; December 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old January 1, 2014, 12:12 AM   #27
totalloser

Bimetal is usually a fancy way to say steel jacketed. Plated with just enough copper to trick you. Nasty stuff.

The steel case stuff I am *really* wary of is the pre-lacquer coated Wolf and the like. The case is so abrasive it takes metal off my carbon steel mags. I had some given to me and decided to strip the whole lot down to it's components.
Old January 1, 2014, 06:27 PM   #28
skizzums

word totalloser, the laquer on bear and wolf and its other brands like wpa etc suck, i dont now why, if they are going to use steel, why the dont do it like tula does

and you are correct that its pretty much a steel cased jacket (for the layman, thats the coating on the bullet) steel going down your barrell is a no-no, but the occasional steel jacket prob wont make a diifference, just know its going to wear out your barrell, maybe russian barrells are +001 so its not an issue, but only use steel when its absolutey necessary unless its a russian rfle designed around the steel rounds

Last edited by skizzums; January 2, 2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old January 23, 2014, 01:52 AM   #29
ffs1942

Steel?

I read in American Rifleman that old steel surplus ammo can be dangerous. It seems there is a corrosion affinity between the steel case and copper jacket and they corrode together. I tried shooting that cheap Russian Wolf .45 FMJ through my GI spec Auto Ordnance M1911A1. The dealer didn't recommend it because the varnish they put on it causes sticky feeding. I found this to be true, even when the chamber was oily. My .45 handles everything else perfectly including old GI ammo.