The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 27, 2013, 01:51 PM   #51
Ben Towe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond
Her role is ceremonial. Entirely ceremonial.
Not exactly. While she does have vast amount of ceremonial roles and and duties, she is also the legal Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the military, though I grant you that many of those duties are delegated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49
The UK is a democracy like America
The United States is not a democracy, it's a federal republic.

And this thread has gone woefully off topic.

Last edited by Ben Towe; December 27, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old December 27, 2013, 02:31 PM   #52
manta49

Edited due to me not reading posts correctly.

Last edited by manta49; December 27, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old December 27, 2013, 02:55 PM   #53
Ben Towe

^ That second quote isn't my post, sir.
Old December 27, 2013, 03:12 PM   #54
manta49

Quote:
That second quote isn't my post, sir.
My fault edited.
Old December 27, 2013, 03:14 PM   #55
Garycw

As post #27 states is correct. I have residence in Ohio & drivers license. I also have residence in ky & fl too. I can buy rifles in ky& fl but not pistols( other than private party). Must be shipped to Ohio. I may be able to get a state ID with utility bills to avoid that though.
Old December 27, 2013, 03:17 PM   #56
Spats McGee
Staff

How about we get back to the question posed by the OP? TFL is not a site dedicated to the responsible discussion of royal families around the globe . . .

In Arkansas, nothing is required beyond federal mandates.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old January 10, 2014, 07:56 PM   #57
Brian the gunner

Old January 11, 2014, 05:41 PM   #58
buckhorn_cortez

New Mexico -

1. Choose the number and type of guns you want.

2. Fill out BATF form 4473 and show a photo ID (driver's license, concealed carry permit, state issued ID, any federal photo ID)

4. Once NICS is approved pay for guns

5. You're done.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; January 11, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:41 PM   #59
btmj

It is interesting to compare the process to buy a handgun today versus what it was 20 years ago.

In 1990, I bought my first handgun… a new Glock 17 from a dealer. At that time in St. Louis County, I had to drive to a local police station and request an application for a permit. I then had to fill out the application and mail it to police headquarters. It took four weeks for them to do a background check and approve me. They sent me a letter which stated I had been approved, and I had to drive down to police headquarters (40 miles away) and pick up my permit in person, between the hours of 8am and 4pm, Monday – Friday. I had to take time off from work to pick up the permit. This permit allowed me to buy a handgun sometime in the next 14 days… If I had not bought one in 14 days, the permit expired and I had to start over again. As far as carrying a handgun for protection? Virtually impossible.

In the past year, I bought two handguns, an FNH FNX-40, and a Ruger Vaquero. In both instances, it took about 15 minutes from the point where I said “Yes I will buy this” to the point where I walked out the door with a new plastic gun box under my arm. Phoning in the NICS background check, scanning the credit card, asking if I need any ammo or cleaning supplies, shaking my hand and saying “thankyou sir”… 15 minutes. As far as carrying a handgun for protection? Many in St. Louis county do, and the classes are always booked solid with new CCW-ers.

It is a huge improvement over 1990, and back in those grim days I did not think it would get better, only worse.

And to inform the argument between Jim243, Manta49, and Pond James Pond…. Although it was a difficult process to buy a handgun in 1990, and the local /state government used the process to discourage gun purchases, St Louis County was not an oppressive place governed by military rulers. As has been stated, gun restrictions are just one small part of political and economic oppression. Having spent time in London, I would hardly call the UK oppressive.

Jim
Old January 13, 2014, 05:37 PM   #60
Brian the gunner

I forgot to mention that with the format I put at the beginning I may purchase 3 firearms.
Old January 13, 2014, 07:11 PM   #61
chris in va

I have a KY permit, so fill out the 4473 and done.
Old January 15, 2014, 10:58 AM   #62
Saltydog235

In SC

Private sales = Money

From FFL Dealer = DL, Form 4473 w/ clear record and money. If you have a CWP, cash and carry after the 4473 is filled out.
Old January 15, 2014, 11:01 PM   #63
mattL46

Oklahoma. Fill out the form. If your clean your good to go. Only takes me about 10-15 minutes. An individual sale requires money. (Your supposed to feel like they are mentally well and free of any kind of criminal history)
Old January 17, 2014, 03:05 AM   #64
Justice06RR

GunShine State

Private sales: Cash and be 18(long guns) or 21(pistols).

Stores: Form 4473 and five buckaroos. Non-felon and resident of the state.

On that note, I buy most of mine privately but I do have a CWL.
Old January 18, 2014, 09:57 PM   #65
DannyB1954

Nevada laws are relatively easy. Be old enough, be a resident, pass a criminal background check. If you have a concealed weapons permit that has been issued in the last couple of years, the background check is waived.

I am an adult, I am a resident with a CCW permit. I can go to any gun shop give them money, they give me the gun. Takes about 10 minutes. I do have to fill out a simple form that says I am not crazy, or a criminal and that sort of thing.