The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Z400ACDC

Beretta px4 storm surprised me!

I bought one used today off a neighbor that needed a little cash ($350). After a cleaning, I loaded a mag and sat down at the picnic table to see how it would group. To my suprise, it shot very well. Can you recommend a holster? Thanks!
Old December 20, 2013, 12:27 AM   #2
LockedBreech

I started with the cheap Fobus paddle holster and upgraded to the Blackhawk SERPA CQC. I much prefer the SERPA. Both will do.

The PX4 is a fine pistol. Enjoy it.
Beretta PX4 Type F Fullsize .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Beretta 8040 Cougar Type G .40 S&W | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Sig Sauer SP2022 Stainless 9x19 Para | Sig Sauer P6 9x19 Para | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old December 20, 2013, 12:32 AM   #3
tahunua001

no recomendations for a holster although you could check out and see if crossbreed makes a supertuck for it. I just though I would chime in and say that I also like the PX4. I shot an inlaws 40 cal compact and man it was smooth. I wish beretta would put the safety on the frame where it belongs but I would buy one in a second if I found a decent deal.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old December 20, 2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Guv

I have a sub compact 40 and love it! Look on the Beretta web site, they have some there.
Old December 20, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Gats Italian

Why would it be surprising that a Beretta was accurate?
Old December 20, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Constantine

Quote:
Why would it be surprising that a Beretta was accurate?
That particular Beretta has a gimmicky turning barrel of some sort. I sold mine to my cousin. It was accurate, but surprised me a bit to.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old December 20, 2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Noreaster

My 9mm C action was very accurate. I went with a Serpa holster.
Old December 20, 2013, 10:54 AM   #8
g.willikers

Now, you need one of these for home practice:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Berett...ellet_gun/1308
Old December 20, 2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Martowski

I like my Storm. I will say I do not find it "extraordinary" in any way, but rather it's the sum of many good qualities that have made me hang onto it.

Just out of curiosity, what about the rotating barrel lockup seems "gimmicky?" Beretta's pistols, including the 92fs, don't use a traditional Browning lockup with tilting barrels. Of course, as we all know, the 92fs uses a Walther P38-style falling block. The PX4, and Cougar (before the PX4) are certainly different than many other pistols; "gimmicky" almost makes it sound less than effective.
Old December 20, 2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Guv

And the sub-compact uses the tilting barrel design.
Old December 20, 2013, 01:27 PM   #11
Gats Italian

Quote:
That particular Beretta has a gimmicky turning barrel of some sort. I sold mine to my cousin. It was accurate, but surprised me a bit to.
That rotating barrel "gimmick" has been around since 1911, and in 8000 series/PX4 Beretta pistols for nineteen years now.
Old December 20, 2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Constantine

Quote:
That rotating barrel "gimmick" has been around since 1911, and in 8000 series/PX4 Beretta pistols for nineteen years now.
Doesn't sway me from thinking it's gimmicky.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old December 20, 2013, 05:44 PM   #13
g.willikers

Just went over to Brownells for a look at their schematic.
The barrel has a genuine rotating lug, like many rifles.
From the picture, it appears to be just a single one, but it ought to make a very solid lockup.
Whatever works.
Gun designs are amazing in their variety.
Part of the attraction.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Gats Italian

Quote:
Doesn't sway me from thinking it's gimmicky.
By that line of reasoning, some crank thinks plastic pistol frames and striker fired actions are gimmicky.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Z400ACDC

Well, I took it out for another lap yesterday and ran a box of federal through it. I pull the ar500 plates up to about 50' and started plinking. The trigger is pretty good and I shoot it as well as any pistol I ever shot. I bought it cheap thinking I would sell it or trade it off. But, I think it's a keeper! The only thing that I don't care for is the safety/decocker. I don't know why I need a safety on a da/sa pistol. I do like the decocker. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Z400ACDC; December 22, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Martowski

You can easily change your PX4 to be a decock only function, not a safety. Do some Goggling and you'll find out how to make it so the lever always pops back up without staying in the safe position.
Old December 21, 2013, 10:03 AM   #17
old fart

the cougar can be made as a decocker only, but i haven't done it yet. works fine for me as is, i love my cougar 40.
Old December 21, 2013, 10:48 AM   #18
TailGator

My daughter has a PX4 Compact in 9 mm that she loves. Whether it is the rotating barrel or some other design feature, it just might be the softest shooting 9 I have got my mitts on. Accuracy is quite good, and the low recoil makes followup shots faster and more accurate. It is a pistol with a lot going for it, IMO.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:17 PM   #19
NYHawk

I have a PX4 in .45acp and really like the gun. Very accurate out of the box and I find the rotating barrel really reduces the recoil. Not a gimmick at all! Beretta sells low profile safety levers which I think is a must. Very easy to change out the levers and at the same time make it a decocker only. And as for holsters, I carry my PX4 in a Don Hume 721OT. Simple pancake style holds it close to the body, reasonably priced and has served me well for about a year now.
Old December 22, 2013, 03:51 PM   #20
Z400ACDC

Thanks Hawk! I like the way this pistol shoots and it is nice to look at also! It is nice to have a good looking wife that can cook.
Old December 25, 2013, 03:41 PM   #21
CoryK

Beretta PX4 Compact

I recently tried out the PX4 Compact. I opted for the Compact (over the Sub-Compact) because the barrel and slide lengths are very similar; the big ergonomic difference appeared to be the length of the grip but the sub also had the SS tilting barrel. I definitely prefer a full length grip with double-stack width. I trialed it along side an M9. I fired the cheapest ammo available at the time, American Eagle at $30 for 100 rds. I fired about 70 rounds in sets of 10. The groups at 25 ft were all inside of a 6 inch diameter or better; a few times 3 or 4 of the rounds could fit inside of a quarter. I also fired a set of 10 at 50 ft with a group inside of a 8 inch diameter.

The pistol was a short-barreled compact that fired just like a full size pistol. The pistol had slightly more kick to it than the M9 firing the same ammo, but with the large grip and good sights reacquiring a good sight picture was simple and swift. I had none of the feed or ejection issues that others have complained of (typically attributed to a limp wrist.) For me, the PX4 compact was ergonomically perfect. The slide release, safety/decocker, hammer and trigger were all exactly where they needed to be.

My shooting partner didn't appreciate the double stack grip as much as I did; he said he had shorter fingers and preferred a single stacker (he was firing a Colt Mustang .380).

I have been slow to accept polymer frames but a PX4 compact will definitely be my next pistol.

For anyone that prefers a double stack grip, compact-length barrel, with a SA/DA trigger assembly at an affordable price (<$500) the PX4 may be your only option. There are similar pistols available from other manufacturers (CZ, HK and Sig for example) but you will likely pay $800+ for new or like-new. If you're willing to sacrifice the SA option and go with a striker fired pistol, you should consider a Kahr CW9, Ruger SR9c, or a S&W Shield compact.
Old December 25, 2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Onlooker

I've got a full size .40 PX4 Inox, F model (i.e. DA/SA with safety). The one thing I really don't like is the safety/decocker lever. The position on the slide really interferes with tactical reloads and malfunction clearing; that damned thing will really put on hurt on your hand with its rather pointy design. I really don't understand that design. And for me the safety is difficult to operate; need a longer thumb . I've debated selling/trading it, but I may look into getting the lever swapped out with the low profile version. In the meantime it's my bedside gun, safety off and decocked.

It's been very accurate and I've put a couple thousand rounds through it with only a few malfunctions that were attributable to handloads that were in development. No problems with any other ammo.