The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 22, 2013, 12:11 PM   #26
reticle

The older I get, the more I like revolvers. I can just empty the cylinder right on the bench rather than chasing by brass all over the range.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:14 PM   #27
OxyGuy

Quote:
Quote:
With a bad round in a revolver you just move on to the next round
Quote:
No, the gun has to go to the gunsmith to be fixed. (broken or worn firing pin, excessive space on indexing, lose or worn cylinder or bullet creep and cylinder gets locked up and gun does not function) They are not as reliable as you may think and they do wear out faster.
What you said had absolutely nothing to do with a bad round.

Anything mechanical will wear if used......even a Sig.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:18 PM   #28
prm

Quote:
BTW, accuracy increases with barrel length as well.
Nope... makes no difference if you can shoot.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:29 PM   #29
SansSouci

reticle,

You remind me of me!

I just bought a GP 100 fr target shooting. I do enjoy shooting semiautos, but I'm tired of chasing brass all over a range.

I'm going to handload some wadcutters & see how accurate that gun is...or how accurate I am.

I'd rather target shoot than play golf.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:36 PM   #30
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
What's up with the politically correct nomenclature? I own GUNS. I do not own platforms.

Yeah... OK...

Call them what you like.

Besides, you may want to take that up with the countless other members who use the same word.

I use it on TFL because I learnt it from TFL.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:47 PM   #31
AK103K

Quote:
What you said had absolutely nothing to do with a bad round.
Maybe in that case.

The "bad round" issues Ive had with revolvers were bullets jumping a crimp and tying up the cylinder, and on one occasion, temporarily, the gun.

Squibs seating a bullet in the forcing cone, again, tying up the cylinder and gun.

Squibs clearing the cone, but stuck in the barrel, which to me, is usually a scarier thing with the revolvers, as that easy next pull or two of the trigger, are going to make things a lot worse.

At least with the autos, the slide usually wont cycle on the squib, and you have a heads up.

With any of them, you need to be paying attention while shooting them, especially during practice. In real life, its just one of those things, all you can do is deal with it and hope that fancy ammo youre using works as its supposed to.

During practice, autos at least allow you to clear the malfunction and then "stop".

Revolvers usually just arent as simple to deal with when there is a malfunction. They usually take more time to evaluate the problem, and if the round happens to appear to be a "dud", or that assumption is made, its just too easy to just stroke the trigger again.

Normally with either, during practice, if I feel something wasnt right when the trigger was pulled, I stop and check the barrel. With the autos, I will go ahead and do the clearance drill, and then stop. If the revolver sounds or feels off, I dont stroke the trigger again.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old December 22, 2013, 12:49 PM   #32
AK103K

Quote:
I'd rather target shoot than play golf.
Combine them. Those .38 wadcutters seat nicely in a squarely hit golf ball, and act like a tail as they go downrange.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old December 22, 2013, 12:52 PM   #33
SansSouci

AK103K,

Now that would give appropriate meaning to driving range.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:13 PM   #34
AK103K

Hey, its a lot of fun and quite the challenge, especially with a 642.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old December 22, 2013, 01:13 PM   #35
Nanuk

Quote:
I've had a 586 lock up. Good thing it was during training because it was out of commission for a long time. I had to return it to S&W to repair a factory defect.
Broken part, or factory defect? I have tens of thousands of rounds through 2 686's an NO problems whatsoever. Machines do break.

Quote:
BTW, I have never, ever had a Sig malfunction nor have I ever heard of a Sig malfunctioning.
Shoot enough and you will.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:15 PM   #36
Nanuk

Quote:
Combine them. Those .38 wadcutters seat nicely in a squarely hit golf ball, and act like a tail as they go downrange.
My dad and I did that when I was growing up, shoot till ya miss, taking turns with 22's.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:19 PM   #37
David spargenator

Thanks for all the responses guys. Just looking around for a gun that's fun to shoot and has a defense capability. I just like the style of single action revolvers.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:22 PM   #38
AK103K

I like SA's too, and have a couple, but they would be my last choice for something for protection.

A good DA revolver would be a better choice, and one you learned to shoot DAO.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old December 22, 2013, 01:24 PM   #39
David spargenator

Ya a revolver would be easy to shoot under stress. Plus my mom could use it if she ever was home by herself and had to. It's easy to figure out
Old December 22, 2013, 01:39 PM   #40
jmr40

Quote:
but from what I've read revolvers are more reliable due to fewer moving parts and less dependence on tight tolerances.
This is backwards. Semi's generally have fewer parts. Revolvers have many more small parts with tighter tolerences. Kept clean and well maintained Revolvers are dead nuts reliable for the 6 in the cylinder. After that a semi is far more reliable. Revolvers are far more fragile and susceptible to dirt and abuse compared to semi's which have most of the moving parts enclosed away from dirt and abuse. The looser tolerences and the ability to fieldstrip and clean in the field without tools help too. Once a revolver goes down, it cannot be used again until a gunsmith gets it. Even if Semi's malfunction they can usually be back in action within seconds This is a big reason why semi's have ruled in the military for over 100 years.

Quote:
I've had a 586 lock up. Good thing it was during training because it was out of commission for a long time. I had to return it to S&W to repair a factory defect.

Broken part, or factory defect? I have tens of thousands of rounds through 2 686's an NO problems whatsoever. Machines do break.
Revolvers have many moving parts outside the gun which are more easily broken or gummed up with dirt etc. Having the cylinder back out on the ejector rod is a VERY common problem on S&W revolvers. When this happens the cylinder will not open or move without some help and the gun is useless until fixed. It is not a hard problem to fix, and preventative measures can stop it from happening.

Both have their strong points. Both are generally equally reliable, but have very different problems when they do malfunction.

Revolvers biggest asset is the ability to shoot more powerful rounds suited for hunting or long range target shooting. Long barreled revolvers are not technically more accurate, but sure are easier to shoot more accurately. The added length helps with magnum rounds getting more speed. Most 4" or shorter magnum revolvers struggle to shoot any faster than comparable sized semi's in 9mm, 40, or 10mm however.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:55 PM   #41
buckhorn_cortez

"You see the same thing at pistol matches. People forgetting to release the safety..."

Can you explain that problem with semi-autos like a Glock or an HK P30 with a LEM trigger...?

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; December 22, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:03 PM   #42
lee n. field

Quote:
Just looking around for a gun that's fun to shoot and has a defense capability. I just like the style of single action revolvers.
Use the search and find past threads started by Jim March. He carries a single action Ruger, a Vaquero, I think. A unique and highly modified Vaquero.

(You can also search on "frankenruger".)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 22, 2013, 02:07 PM   #43
kraigwy

Quote:
"You see the same thing at pistol matches. People forgetting to release the safety..."

Can you explain that problem with a Glock...?
A major problem with Glock's and inexperience shooters is "limp wristing"

Yeah you can learn to beat that, but locking the wrist goes out the window during stress.

Again I'm talking about the majority of people who carry (or stash) for self-defense. They don't practice enough to really be comfortable with the gun, to do anything that needs to be done without think, or scared poop-less.

For them the revolver is a better choice.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 22, 2013, 02:22 PM   #44
buck460XVR

The advantage is we have a myriad of options for both and are able to obtain whichever we desire the most, if we can afford it, regardless of how others feel.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:22 PM   #45
SansSouci

Merry Christmas, Nanuk,

It was a factory defect. I believe it was a recalled gun. S&W did repair it.

Many decades ago I knew a cop whose Model 15 would not fire. It's alignment was off. She was carrying it on duty when the defect was discovered.

In the early 80's, S&W had a severe problem with quality control.

I have put many thousands of rounds through a P-229 w/o a single problem.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:24 PM   #46
SansSouci

Handgun golf would be a lot more exciting. Tee up a ball and players would have a magazine or 2 cylinders to sink a ball. I might watch handgun golf on TV.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:28 PM   #47
SansSouci

I had a bullet dislodge from its case preventing my Model 60's cylinder from rotating.

Revolvers, like all mechanical devices, can fail.

Double action revolvers are fairly complex. A lot of moving parts have to function flawlessly in order for one to work as intended.

I do like revolvers. In fact, I just bought a GP 100. I might even carry in while fishing in the Eastern Sierra.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:36 PM   #48
peacefulgary

Quote:
You see the same thing at pistol matches. People forgetting to release the safety, having to pause and look for the mag release, all sorts of problems.

Then there is the revolver. Nothing to do but pull the trigger. Nothing to thing about (I don't let students use the hammer on a DA/SA revolver). Just pull the trigger, no thinking, no fumbling. Sure the is the cylinder catch, but they're suppose to be behind cover for reloading.

I know there are those who will pick up their gun, without thinking get it in action, reaching the safety, mag release, slide release without ever changing their grips. That is the exception.
I have to disagree a bit about the fumbling issue...

Take an unloaded revolver with a loaded speedloader, and an unloaded autoloader with a loaded magazine:

Revolver: (1)release the cylinder, (2) insert the bullets in the cylinder using the speedloader, (3) close the cylinder, and you're ready to go.

Autoloader: (1)insert loaded magazine, (2) chamber a round by racking the slide, and you're good to go.

A there are plenty of Glock style pistols that don't have a manual safety, so there's no fumbling there.

Seems to me that both are very simple and easy to use.
Which is why pistols and revolvers are used effectively by teenage and children warriors around the world.

The differences in my opinion:

Most folks will be able to reload much more quickly with an autoloader (if they have another loaded magazine).

Autoloaders can take more physical abuse than the revolver.
You can drop a Glock off a 30' cliff and it will probably still fire with the first trigger pull.

Revolvers can take more neglect of maintenance than the autoloader.
You can put a revolver in a cabinet and leave it there for 200 years and it will probably still fire with the first trigger pull.

You can customize the grip of a revolver much more so than with an autoloader.

It takes me longer to clean a revolver than an autoloader.

I can completely detail strip my autoloaders much quicker than I can detail strip my revolvers.
Old December 22, 2013, 03:23 PM   #49
David spargenator

Ya I might get a ruger blackhawk. Those are pretty cool.
Old December 22, 2013, 03:56 PM   #50
2damnold4this

Quote:
I have put many thousands of rounds through a P-229 w/o a single problem.

Anything can break.