The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 21, 2013, 08:16 AM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
One man bought his three rationed boxes,,,
Then got rather irate when the manager wouldn't let his wife buy three more.
...and binging behavior like that is why we still have a shortage.
Old December 21, 2013, 08:53 AM   #27
MikeNice81

Quote:
have a friend with three boys and very little ammunition,,,
These 3 boxes will make me a hero in their eyes.
You want to be a real hero? Give the ammo to your friend to give his kids. Make him a hero in their eyes and he may be the most apreciative friend you ever make.

I'm glad you found some .22lr. I haven't been able to find much around here. My local Wal~Mart looks like it hasn't been restocked in months. The LGS has been having issues getting a consistent supply. Don't get me started on finding .22mag that doesn't cost more than my 9mm practice ammo.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:27 AM   #28
rebs

In my area the walmart and local gun shops are getting plenty of all ammo except 22's. You can walk in and buy 223 and most all hand gun calibers. I think the idea in NY is buy all the ammo you can now before the back ground checks on ammo purchases starts. If it starts because the state has no funding for it, the state police say they have no funding for it anf the feds say they will not do it for the state. But it seems people are still stocking up and want all they can get.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:54 AM   #29
veamon

Is $50 for a brick too much? I went to a gunshow last week and a guy didn't get a booth in time, so he was selling ammo in the parking lot across the street and I picked up 500 rounds for $50.
Old December 21, 2013, 10:15 AM   #30
jimbob86

Quote:
500 rounds for $50.
10 cents/ round of .22lr .....whodathunkit?

That is half of what a LGS was charging at the height of the panic ......

Stop panicking.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old December 21, 2013, 10:28 AM   #31
veamon

I'm not panicking per se, life has just gotten in the way of my shooting and haven't bought ammo or guns in years.
Old December 21, 2013, 10:45 AM   #32
Brotherbadger

Quote:
In my area the walmart and local gun shops are getting plenty of all ammo except 22's. You can walk in and buy 223 and most all hand gun calibers.
Same around here. I've been eyeing a CMMG conversion kit for my AR, but what's the point if I can't find the ammo? I'm sure it will come back too, but until it does I can spend that $200 on something that won't be used for the foreseeable future.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old December 21, 2013, 10:47 AM   #33
Tom Servo
Staff

The reason folks are getting $50 a brick is that people are paying $50 a brick.

Folks, the market is driven by buyer behavior. When people stop paying inflated prices and exhibiting panicked hoarding behavior, things will level out. Until then, expect shortages and price hikes.
Old December 21, 2013, 07:33 PM   #34
berettaprofessor

Quote:
The regionality of the current shortage is perplexing to me. Our local stores, Wal*Mart and Dick's in particular, have been getting CCI 22LR regularly for a few weeks now and the WalMart cashier told me it doesn't even sell out immediately anymore
I'm with you. I read all these stories about 22LR being available regularly in places and I think it's all Communist propaganda meant to destroy my moral. Here, in Kansas, my local Walmart still has people camped out 3 hours before delivery for the slightest chance at 22LR. Most other calibers are occasionally available.

Luckily, I haven't needed any for the past year...and don't need to buy any for a long time, so I can smile and wave as I walk by.
Old December 21, 2013, 08:41 PM   #35
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I should have taken a picture of the ammo shelf at WalMart tonight. It's completely full, I mean front to back, top to bottom, left to right of every caliber they sell except 22LR. They're still keeping that behind the counter so I don't know if they had that or not.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:20 PM   #36
shortwave

Quote:
Is $50 for a brick too much ?
Before the 'shortage' a 500 rd brick was around $19-$20. IIRC.

I bought 5250 rds. of CCI Blazer for $199.00 OR 3.8 cents a rd.

Doing simple math, if I bought the same 5250 at your price of 10 cents a rd. it would cost me $525.00

Bottom line is, if people continue to pay these sick prices instead of letting the ammo gather dust on the shelf, we will never see the end of the shortage. Nor will we ever see sane prices again.

Last edited by shortwave; December 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:28 PM   #37
spacecoast

Quote:
Bottom line is, if people continue to pay these sick prices instead of letting the ammo gather dust on the shelf, we will never see the end of the shortage. Nor will we ever see sane prices again.
True, but if there are enough people who thing it's worth 10 cents a shot, it will be nearly impossible in the short run to bring the price down. What needs to happen is that another manufacturer realizes that they can still make a nice profit at 9 cents a round, and steals all the market. Then another does the same at 8 cents, etc. until prices return to "normal" with "normal" levels of profit.

Does anyone know what it really costs to manufacture a .22LR plinking round in a large scale operation?
Old December 21, 2013, 11:52 PM   #38
SVO

There are some gun owners who were prepared and had a fair stock of .22LR on hand. Sooner or later, those will have used up their stock and will start replenishing, which will probably drag the shortage out futher.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:28 AM   #39
North East Redneck

It appears that centerfire rifle ammo is widely available again around here. Centerfire pistol ammo can be had at somewhat inflated prices in most small retailers. Local wallmart is getting a limited amount of .22. Mostly CCI from what I've seen. Dicks had bricks of golden bullets for $25 a couple weeks ago. There is one LGS that has had almost every caliber of ammo available since the summer. Prices are too high for me. Their stock doesn't seem to move quickly. At places that have more reasonable prices, .38 special and 9mm seem to the ones that go quickly.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:53 AM   #40
SocialAnarchist

I bought a box of 525 rounds of .22lr at Gander Mountain last Friday for $24.99. There was roughly a dozen boxes on the shelf. 2 box limit.

Frankly, that is the highest I have ever paid for .22lr. The only reason I bought it was for my grand daughter who is very interested in shooting and finding .22lr was making shooting tough for her.
Old December 22, 2013, 08:44 AM   #41
shortwave

Quote:
There are some gun owners who were prepared and had a fair stock of .22LR on hand. Sooner or later, those will have used up their stock and will start replenishing, which will probably drag the shortage out futher
Not as long as there are black powder and airsoft guns or bows here at the house.

The day I pay $50 or even $40 for a 500rd brick of .22's...look out your window cause there will be pigs roosting in your trees.

I can shoot bp, airsoft and bows a long time for that kind of money. Not to mention reloading ammo I'd rather shoot anyways for less than 10 cents a rd.

Last edited by shortwave; December 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old December 22, 2013, 04:50 PM   #42
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I bought 5250 rds. of CCI Blazer for $199.00 OR .038 cents a rd.

Doing simple math,
Look more like Verizon Math to me

I am amazed at the inability of manufacturers to increase output of 22LR. I know the rimfires are manufactured on separate lines from the centerfires, but the contrasting availability of the two is perplexing. Not only are there domestic 22LR manufacturers but I am quite certain it is also a very widely produced round internationally. I guess the start-up costs for a small line is prohibitive to entry ad the expansion of a large line is very risky.
Still, I am amazed.

I am in the situation described above with a stockpile running low. I had enough to last a year with ease and now that year is over. I think I will just not shoot until spring. If I see a box at $22 or less locally I will almost certainly be picking it up.
Old December 22, 2013, 07:16 PM   #43
spacecoast

Quote:
...and binging behavior like that is why we still have a shortage.
300 rounds isn't exactly "binging".
Old December 22, 2013, 09:27 PM   #44
Dc777

If you want to bring up people selling ammo for a profit and being a snitch and telling the law then how about reporting gas station owners for price gouging. You used to make 5 cents a gallon profit on gas and now they are making up to .60 cents a gallon. While your at it throw in a charge for selling a 20 ounce coke for .10 cents less than a 2 liter coke sells for. It's supply in demand and America is greedy. If you buy a pack of baseball cards for $2 and pull out an autographed card and sell it on ebay for $25 I guess you would be breaking the law too since that's turning a profit aka business transaction. I could come up with scenarios all night.....

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 22, 2013, 11:08 PM   #45
shortwave

Quote:
Look more like Verizon Math to me
Thanks johnwilliamson062.

Post changed.

Decimal points have always been a problem for me...at least that's what I told the IRS.
Old December 24, 2013, 12:47 PM   #46
bamaranger

scalping

Around here, every unemployed, retired or non working slacker who has the time or has a relative at Wal Mart gets a call or text and they line up for the truck. They buy all they can and turn around and double there money at flea markets and yard sales. Gander Mountain is not much better. Its a racket.

I'll have none of it. The last time we went through this I bought ahead, just a brick when I was in town for something else. Got enough without being a jerk to get me through this I reckon.
Old December 24, 2013, 02:45 PM   #47
Bigfatts

I'm glad I'm not hurting for ammo. But then again I don't shoot near as much as some. Most ammo has been making its way back to local shelves but still not much .22. The last I bought was at a gun show. I got 3 boxes of Wolf MT and a box of Velocitors, all $8 each from the same guy. Oddly enough that was at the height of the shortage.
Old December 24, 2013, 03:04 PM   #48
Archer1440

If the behavior mentioned by the OP isn't sobering, imagine when it's rice or corn being handed out to a starving population.

Shudder.

I have my fair share of ballistic wampum, built up over the past 20 years, simply by having a discipline of promptly buying 1.5 or 2 rounds for every 1 I shoot.

Haven't bought .22lr in well over a year, but I have enough should I start shooting it again, because of two decades of that applied principle.

Jeff Cooper's long-ago predictions about 22 lr being the hard currency of the future is looking a bit more realistic every day, though.
Old December 26, 2013, 09:32 PM   #49
WWWJD

Something else about this I don't get: Unless you're shooting 1000 rounds a month, or storing your gold..er.. .22LR in hermetically sealed vapor proof bags, the stuff's got a shelf life. A rather short one from my experience. I've had a couple 500 round boxes of WWB that wasn't more than three years old go bad, just sitting in my closet. Every other shot was either a weak charge or FTF.

Maybe just my experience here... but sitting on 10k rounds of .22 sounds pretty stupid and wasteful. I just wanna buy a 500 round box without going through the hoarding motions, thus looking acting like all the other hoarders/scalpers. I probably only shoot 1000 rounds a year.

NRA fo Life Member
Old December 26, 2013, 09:49 PM   #50
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
When people stop paying inflated prices
That is not inflated pricing - it is market price - just like your restaurant has on the fresh lobster; it merely reflects what folks are willing to pay. If no on is willing to pay his ASKING price, then he will drop it until someone does; this is the same when you see a sale, then they add another discount, and then a clearance - they are trying to find the price level where folks consider it to be worth the exchange of their cash for the goods proferred for sale. As long as SOMEONE is WILLING to pay his asking price, then he has his goods priced correctly for the demand.