The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 20, 2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Ignition Override

Did a specific purchase give Cosmo a nice aroma?

Not kidding. While recently starting to leave a gun show after finding none of the unique handgun types being sought, I spotted a Yugo M59 SKS
(no gr. launcher) in excellent condition. These types are fairly rare.

The cosmo was mostly in the gas tube, and in the corners of the action etc. Knocked out the firing pin retaining bolt to clean the pin's channel.
Every time I'm near that rifle, the aroma is very appealing. Is it usually something which people equate to a gun's nice condition/preservation or good fortune in spotting it?

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 20, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:36 PM   #2
tahunua001

I personally have bought a number of cosmo'd guns that were beat and worn to hell and back. I never equate cosmo smell with well preserved history. heck, of the 4 guns I've bought still packed in cosmoline only one of them has been well preserved.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old December 20, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Don't know what It is, but because It is a used commercial pistol I'm sure it's not cosmo. But a Colt 1991a1 compact I have has a very distinctive, and I mght add apealing aroma. It has stayed even though the Colt has been well cleaned with Hoppe's No. 9 numerious times. No, the aroma isn't Hoppe's, or any othet cleaner I have used for that matter. Just a pleasant, metl, machine kind of smell.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!