The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 18, 2013, 11:22 PM   #1
MoGas1341

Vintage M1a Questions

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have been reading a lot of good info here, and finally decided to join. I am currently preparing to get out of the Marine Corps on a Medical Discharge in February, but am planning on being a gunsmith afterwards... (my goal anyways)
I do have two questions for my 'breaking the seal' post on this forum...
1) I recently acquired an M14 (M1a) that has a TRW barrel, bolt, and action rod w/ a US Armory (I can see the stamp and cut out for full auto stock, and Match grade peep sight [rear]) It has an early Springfield Armory inc reciever in the 10xxx range.
How much could this be valued?
2) Upon shooting it, I was able to get a 5 round group at 100 yds in the size of a standard playing card, however, it was 8" low... I tried to adjust the rear sight but it failed to adjust any further to bring the strike of the round up 8" for my zero...
Thanks for any info or references that I may use to find a solution.
Old December 19, 2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Slamfire

Thank you for your service to our country.

I can't give you a value for an early M1a that is made from all GI parts. I built one up much later for the fun of it, but all my M1a's are all worth more than what it cost to build them. Military service rifle prices shot up faster than the stockmarket and I am huddled in the dark waiting for this crazy time to go away and not take me with it. I suggest go to Gunbroker and examine what rifles sell for. Ignore the crazy high asking prices, anyone can ask for $1,000,000,000, but it ain't worth it unless it sold for that.

As for your elevation issues. It may be due to a loose a loose tensioning screw. The slide aperature has a tensioning screw, and it is the slotted screw on the windage knob. If this is loose the slide won't move up.

See this discussion:

http://m14forum.com/steel-wood/75582...ny-advice.html

Don't overtighten the screw on the elevation knob. This one adjusts click tension and over tightening will wear out the serrations on the receiver. Just be careful with the screwdriver.

/

Last edited by Slamfire; December 20, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old December 20, 2013, 12:48 AM   #3
MoGas1341

Awesome, that was extremely helpful! It actually worked, and I feel a bit ignorant for having overlooked that My curiosity on the price was because I picked it up for $800, and I know what a new M1a costs. I did however try the Gunbroker route, and various other sights, yet was unable to find the exact (or very close configuration) to what I have. I appreciate the pics and the help Sir.
Old December 20, 2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Slamfire

Quote:
My curiosity on the price was because I picked it up for $800, and I know what a new M1a costs
Eight hundred?!, you got a great deal.
Old December 20, 2013, 09:45 AM   #5
SmokyBaer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamfire
Eight hundred?!, you got a great deal.
+1... An absolute Smoking steal of a deal!!

You done good and that one is a keeper for a hand me down to the grandkids once you get there. Do not make the mistake I made years ago by swapping off the cool ones and not knowing what I had. Keep that rifle in the family and ENJOY learning about it. There's also a huge amount of info on these two sites...

http://m14forum.com/forums.php

http://www.teamm14.com/forumdisplay....al-amp-Modern)
Old December 20, 2013, 07:58 PM   #6
MoGas1341

Thanks Gents, and yes, the plan is to definitely keep it for the rest of the time I have on this earth, because I forsee this type of deal never coming around again. Truth be told, it was the man I bought it from's, father's rifle. He had two of them and was on the Navy shooting team. Poor fella needed money and kept his dad's nicer Match rifle, and sold the other to me (was the story I was given) I felt guilty when I handed him the money, but just as you all stated "Keep it" and I shall. Thanks again for your help.
Old December 24, 2013, 12:17 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

$800 in today's money is a smoking hot deal. I paid $500 for a rack grade, all GI parts gun (except the receiver) back in the mid 80s. It was a fair price then, not a great deal, but it did come with 6 mags, scope mount, scope, and two stocks (one black synthetic, the other wood GI, with the cutout for the full auto parts). In fact, some of it is so GI that it has the M1 Garand locking bar rear sight!

I've been very happy with it ever since, and have no plans for it to ever go anywhere, until the time comes for it to go to my son, daughter, or grandchildren, and that won't be for at least a little while, yet.
Old December 29, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Mannlicher

if you like early production M1A rifles, you would love mine. It was built by Elmer Balance in Texas, and has serial number 2XX.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 29, 2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Billy Shears

$800 seems like a great price for a great rifle.

I paid about that same price for mine 20 years ago.

Was shooting it just yesterday thinking it was money well spent. Still shoots as straight and consistent as it did the day I took it out of the box.

Enjoy.
Old December 29, 2013, 06:56 PM   #10
MoGas1341

Mannlicher, that's a nice setup there. You don't come across the pistol gripped wood stock that often.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:19 AM   #11
Mannlicher

That E2 stock and the M2 bipod were gifts from my brother in law. He snagged them when he was in the Army, on a tour in Korea. That stuff, along with a lot of other things sat in a wood locker for 30 years.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan