The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 20, 2013, 07:28 PM   #26
oldgunsmith

There's no such thing as a "best" lubricant. Pick one of the many good ones out there, do it properly, and find something that makes more sense to worry about (like how many spirits can dance on the head of a pin?).
Old December 20, 2013, 10:37 PM   #27
oldcabin

Another vote for Amsoil full synthetic. I use the marine version ( what I had here ) which I understand has additional anti corrosion stuff. I got the idea from a forum here awhile ago. Works great.
Old December 21, 2013, 03:35 PM   #28
armsmaster270

Breakfree CLP or Froglube
Old December 22, 2013, 08:16 AM   #29
cryogenic419

I've been using using Mpro's LPX for about 8 months and I've been happy with it. If grease is needed I've been using a tub of Mobil 1 and a toothpick to apply it. Tried a lot of different oils and greases over the years and to date this combo seems to serve me well.

Rust prevention is a different story. I tried everything under the sun as far as gun oils, CLP's, and things that were supposedly for rust prevention and all of them failed me. Then I stumbled across Eezox, and have had zero issues with rust/corrosion. Its sold as a lube and rust preventer, I wasn't really inpressed with it as a lube and while its very possible I didn't really give it fair shake to impress me, as a rust preventer its hard to beat.
Old December 22, 2013, 11:22 AM   #30
natman

There are lots of good lubes. I like Triflow for general lubrication because it goes on thin and then thickens to stay where you put it. It also has an excellent thermal range and won't get too thick when it's cold.

For rust protection I like Breakfree COLLECTOR. EEZOX and LPS3 are also very good in this role.
Old December 22, 2013, 11:49 AM   #31
Theohazard

Froglube paste. Best lube I've ever used. Especially for high-heat/high-fouling applications like on a DI AR-15.
Old December 26, 2013, 08:51 PM   #32
M4Punisher

froglube
Old December 26, 2013, 10:22 PM   #33
Shadow9mm

i prefer weapon shield, break free CLP is decent stuff too. I generally shy away from rem oil, not enough rust protection for me. if you want a decent lubricant with EXCELENT rust prevention check out EEZOX.. as long as you take care of and regularly clean your guns it should be an issue with anything including regular motor oil

On a side not, i really like to put a VERY light coating of high quality grease on my 1911 rails vs oil, it seems to be a lot slicker and run smoother, but that's personal preaferance.
Old December 28, 2013, 12:38 PM   #34
WIL TERRY

I have been shooting for 62 years. In that time I have bought and used every damn gun oil to come down the pike and I am here to tell you if I stuffed their differences in your right eye you'd not even blink !!
Old December 28, 2013, 01:52 PM   #35
Ben Towe

Gunslick oil is the best thing I've ever used, but I haven't had any luck finding any in years. All I have now is the gel type that's more like a thin grease. If I could find the oil I'd buy a five gallon bucket of it. I've never seen anything that would make an action as smooth as it would.

Lately, I've been using Lucas Gun Oil on my carry pistols. It stays on pretty well and keeps everything slick. It's fairly expensive, but I use it sparingly to prevent attracting too much dust and dirt to them, so it lasts awhile. I usually use Rem Oil on the outer metal, but I'm considering trying something a bit heavier.
Old December 29, 2013, 08:32 PM   #36
Jbar4Ranch

I think WIL TERRY is probably right, but I'll still cast my vote for M-Pro 7.

SASS 47015
Old December 29, 2013, 09:02 PM   #37
Hawg

Mobil 1 and I use white lithium grease on my 1911 slide.
Old December 29, 2013, 11:46 PM   #38
Fishing_Cabin

I use machine oil here. Never had a problem. Tried the fancy stuff in little bottles for the big money, and never saw a difference to justify the cost.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:08 AM   #39
colonycloaks

My brother use Microlon Gun Juice in many of my guns, but it's quite expensive. I use petroleum jelly for lube and preservative, lithium grease for guns with polymer and silicon spray for guns without polymer.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:19 AM   #40
BuckRub

Man alot of folks here say Mobil 1. When I get through with my other lube I think I'm gonna try mobile 1. Already got some in the shed. Right now I use shooter choice, and have some Castrol gun oil from about 10 years ago. Plus I use Rigs gun grease and have lubriplate also. I would think it all would work. Especially better than nothing.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:01 AM   #41
Old Stony

Lots and lots of possibilities. I prefer plain old Break Free CLP...just because I have used it for years and it seems to do a good job. None of them are miracle products...some just cost more because they have a better line of BS.
Old December 30, 2013, 02:46 PM   #42
Buzzard Bait

oil is good

Any oil is better than no oil,other than that Wil Terry has my vote
Old December 30, 2013, 04:16 PM   #43
Tortuga12

Liking Ballistol right now, but have used CLP and Hoppes in the past, as well as Mobil1.
Old December 30, 2013, 04:53 PM   #44
thallub

Been using Militec for many years; see no reason to change.
Old December 30, 2013, 09:39 PM   #45
DMZX

I changed the oil in my rear diff a few months ago with a synthetic 75w-90. I have about a cup of the stuff left. I am thinking of giving it a try. It is pretty good stuff.
Old December 30, 2013, 09:46 PM   #46
JohnKSa
Staff

Frankly, I don't think there's much practical difference in how well the various gun oils perform in terms of lubrication.

There does appear to be a significant difference in how well they protect against corrosion, and there are other issues that may be relevant to carry guns, such as the toxicity of the product. After all, a carry gun is likely to be in contact with skin or clothing a good deal of the time.
Old January 2, 2014, 11:37 PM   #47
coldbeer

ATF
Old January 2, 2014, 11:43 PM   #48
glockcompact

+1 on the Militec.
Old January 3, 2014, 12:38 AM   #49
Jim Watson

I'm still with the guy who said "whatever free sample was in the match goodie bag."

I have a little sample tube of Froglube. It seems pretty slick and I will use it on my aluminum framed Mixmaster A IDPA ESP in spring and I am shooting frequently. I have read enough about it going rancid in storage that I am leery of leaving it lay. In the meanwhile, I am lubing that gun with Brownell's Friction Defense samples, my Nanolube sample having run out.

The last lube I bought was Militec 1, of which I still have a good deal. I lube my Kahr E9 with it. Otherwise, I have blended some of it with a pre-CLP milsurp oil (It originated as a gear lube additive.) and it does ok but nothing special. I will not buy more, but the mix is fine on my steel framed guns.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:56 AM   #50
biohazard313

i prefer the m-pro 7 oil and cleaner