The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 14, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Rogervzv

M1 Garand and GarandGear Gas Plug

I know that you are not supposed to shoot civilian 30.06 ammo out of an M1 Garand unless you use a modified gas plug. I am planning to shoot some 150 grain 30.06 Springfield ammo out of my M1 Garand. I have equipped the rifle with the Garand Gear Ported Gas Plug. Link: http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/d...-plug?sef=hcfp

Anyone else using this plug? All comments and experiences with it welcome.
Old December 15, 2013, 02:57 AM   #2
ozarkhillbilly

Please shoot it then report back, I am going to get one if they work well. Thanks in advance.
Old December 15, 2013, 03:29 AM   #3
tangolima

Feeding commercial ammunition to M1 has several risks. Bent op rod is one of them. Slam fire is another. Adjustable gas plug can take care of the first, but it won't help the second.

-TL
Old December 15, 2013, 05:30 AM   #4
saltydog452

Hormady

Supposedly, Hornandy offers 30.06 ammunition that has powder with a burn rate pretty much like the Mil-Spec WW2 and earlier fodder.

Since there is internal storage space in the stock of the Garand, why not place one, or the other, gas plug in the rifle and the alternative in reserve?

I'm told that those 'modern' replacements for the OEM plug/poppet valve aren't acceptable for matches where historically corect rifles are required.

salty
Old December 15, 2013, 11:18 AM   #5
kraigwy

Quote:
I'm told that those 'modern' replacements for the OEM plug/poppet valve aren't acceptable for matches where historically corect rifles are required
True, they are not allowed in CMP Matches.

With all the available resourses for Garand ammo out there I see no reason to modify the gas systems.

You can beat the price (even reloading) of the CMP's surplus ammo at $98 per 200 rounds. It was made for the Garand is fairly accurate.

Hornady and others are making match quality Garand Safe ammo.

If you reload, use medium burning power along the lines of 4895/4064.

Even at the height of the drought, I always saw 4064 powder available. It's as near to perfect as you can get for the Garand. I believe that's what Hornay loads in their match '06 ammo.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 15, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
nate_g_2003

Federal also manufactures some M1 ammo under the American Eagle brand. There is a 200fps difference in nuzzle velocity between the Garand stuff and normal American Eagle .30-06 ammo. IIRC, the bullet weights are the same. The Garand stuff is 200fps slower than the standard ammo.
Old December 15, 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Ifishsum

I bought one but haven't shot anything yet with it installed. I don't really expect to use it a lot as I plan to reload ammo that is in the correct burn range for the rifle, and most of my shooting will be CMP matches or practicing for them. I just wanted to have the option to shoot commercial without worrying about possible damage. Probably unnecessary for what little commercial ammo I will probably ever shoot, but it makes make me better having it available.

Most 150gr commercial is probably safe anyway, according to the pressure charts they publish. Its the heavier hunting ammo that is often loaded with the slower burning propellants known to be hard on the op rod.
Old December 15, 2013, 07:11 PM   #8
bbqncigars

I installed one of those plugs in my match 7.62x51 Garand. I didn't notice any difference.
Old December 15, 2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Slamfire

Federal has ammunition specially made for the Garand. http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...le.aspx?id=810 I believe this uses their mil spec primer. Only CCI and Tula offer their mil spec primer line to the reloading market and it would be a good thing if Federal, Winchester, and Remington offered theirs as a separate item. Commercial primers are more sensitive than the mil spec primers and that increases the chance of an in battery or out of battery slamfire in these rifles.

I don't fire commercial ammunition in my Garands as I reload for everything. My primary primer is CCI #34 though I bought some mil spec Tula7.62 primers and found them to be good. I don't use vented gas plugs on my 30-06 Garands as my match rifles work fine without them. My match load is a 168 Match 47.0 grains IMR 4895 LC cases CCI #34 OAL LT 3.3". However I have an excellent 308 Match Garand and that rifle is over gassed. One of the problems you get with commercial barrels is large gas ports. Commercial makers use a drill bit one size above GI port size, otherwise they would have to order custom drill bits. For my 308 that resulted in violent extraction and cases that ejected all over the place. Darn cases hurt when they came straight back and cut my forehead. I put in a Schuster vented gas plug http://www.schustermfg.com/ on the 308.

I set it up following instructions, it is my recollection you find the gas port one or two smaller than the one that causes the bolt to close on an empty chamber . It did radically change the rifle zero's. I had to re zero the rifle out to 600 yards. It works fine as long as I use one ammunition. Changing from stickpowder to ball it seemed to magnify the change in rifle zero. Hard to really know because changing powders shifts point of impact in these gas guns anyway.

I shot this at 200 yards in Nov. We had a Garand match on the 5V target. I shot my 308 Garand with the Schuster plug. I got the five sighters, patched those up, and shot 20 rounds prone at 200 yards. This was scored as a 100-15V, the V being a 4 inch circle.

I used the same rifle and ammunition in Dec at a 100 yard reduced match. It was colder and I did have the bolt close on an empty chamber in sitting rapid fire. This is a risk in cold weather. Shoot too light a load and your gas gun may not cycle. Had that happen with M1911's too.

I did try the Schuster on my 30-06 match rifle thinking I could shoot 190 grain Match and IMR 4350 in 1000 yard matches. Even though I tuned the thing so it would barely stay open, firing single shot, the whole event jarred the rifle and accuracy was poor. I thought the rifle would shake apart. It is my opinion that you are better off not attempting to fire rounds that have inappropriate powders and bullets that are too heavy in this mechanism.
Old December 16, 2013, 01:22 PM   #10
saltydog452

Garand Watering Hole

The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) Web site is a good place to visit.

If you want to speak Garand, this is the place to learn.
Old December 16, 2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Fishbed77

I've installed a GarandGear "Ported" Gas Plug on my M1 in order to use off-the-shelf 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt to hunt deer. It's worked fine in my use. The HXP M2 from the CMP works fine too.

GarandGear has done quite a bit of testing and have results posted on their website.

As mentioned, it would need to be removed for any matches.
Old December 17, 2013, 07:01 AM   #12
Mr.RevolverGuy

I do not shoot match with mine but both are important to me as they have been passed down through family members. I have installed the garland gear plugs in each of mine and have had no issues at all. I shoot factory, reload garland formulas, but I never go above 168gr.