The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 17, 2013, 09:07 AM   #26
Backwoodsboy

I am with those that don't have any "queens". But through the years I have come to possess a cpl I thought were too pretty to shoot and as such sold them Promptly and bought something I could use. My firearms all get used and I wouldn't have it any other way....
Old December 17, 2013, 02:13 PM   #27
Herluf

I've got a few guns that rarely get out of the safe. They'll get a field strip and a bit of lube every couple of years (maybe not even that often), but I'm not too worried about them. Between my AC and dry winters it's pretty bone-dry in here and they're old guns that did just fine for a few decades in grandpa's closet with less attention than what I'm giving them.
Old December 17, 2013, 02:37 PM   #28
BOI

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2 " 44 mag that I dont realy shoot. It is a 3 screw that has never been converted. I loked up the serial number once and I think it was made in 71. The gun is in very good shape all the blueing looks good with just a very faint line on the cylinder. Dont shoot it because I am not sure if there is a strong colectors value on it in the shape it is in. But it suee has a nice trigger.
Old December 17, 2013, 05:03 PM   #29
Shadi Khalil

I hardly own a dozen guns total and none are safe queens. Some day I may have one but for now, if my money goes towards one its getting shot. If I did have a safe queen or two, I would have to fondle, wipe down/oil at least every couple months.
Old December 19, 2013, 10:44 AM   #30
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I've about a dozen mil-sups that don't get out as often as I'd like. Hell, some haven't been fired in 5-6 years. I generally pull them out of the safe every six months or so and run a patch through the bore.
Old January 1, 2014, 01:20 AM   #31
Venom1956

Strip and a bore snake a few times coat in eezox put away. The urgency of this depends on the weather during shooting. I dont scrub my bores clean because its a waste of time it'll just get dirty again.

Last range trip few of my guns got some corrosive salts on them with out my knowledge. I didn't get to cleaning them til a month had gone by. The Eezox still on the gun kept them pretty damn safe mostly the areas that I touched and rubbed it off were affected or areas like screws and the like. I was very thankful others there had guns that suffered a much worse fate. I still dont trust the soft cases. Paranoid about the salts being on them.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old January 1, 2014, 04:31 AM   #32
JERRYS.

I don't have the fortune to have safe queens as most would think, however I do have guns I use to shoot and carry that haven't seen action in a while since others took their place because they were more efficient.
Old January 2, 2014, 02:57 PM   #33
PT-92

Colt Walker 1847

Heck, I shoot black powder only 1-2 times a year anymore so she's the "Safe-Queen" so to speak. However, that's about to change as I am buying a Kirst Konverter Cylinder which translate for me into much more use of the old "Hog Leg."
Old January 2, 2014, 08:40 PM   #34
kutz

I got one that's never been and never will----probably
Old January 5, 2014, 08:21 AM   #35
prm

Only have one that would be called a safe queen. I bought it from the factory several years ago when Colt Black Powder Arms was liquidating existing inventory. It is a miss-stamped, one of a kind gun, with a factory letter stating such. I check it several times a year to make sure its storing well - but have no intention of ever firing it.

It's a Paterson Model with totally different stamping than the small lot (less than 250 guns) the company put out. At the time I bought it, I was told there were no records as to why it had a different stamping and that is reflected in the factory letter.
Old January 6, 2014, 10:19 AM   #36
Mike38

Deleted, forgot I'm in a handgun section.....
Old January 6, 2014, 04:57 PM   #37
bedbugbilly

My safe queen (a Python) and those that don't get shot on a regular basis get cleaned and oiled about every 3 - 4 months. Those that I shoot regularly, get cleaned after every shooting session. The only real "queen" that I have is the Python . . . and despite what others think of them, I really don' tike it a whole lot - I'd rather shoot my old Colt Army Special or my Smiths. The only real reason I have the Python is as an investment - I bought it cheap and some day, after I'm gone, I hope my wife sells it for a not so cheap price.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 6, 2014, 05:10 PM   #38
old bear

Biff, as much as I hate to admit it, it's been at least a year since I've had my 6" M 27 at the range. I did though give it a good cleaning, lube, and wax treatment three or so months ago. I do store it in a Bore-Store silicon bag.
Old January 6, 2014, 06:43 PM   #39
PT-92

Quote:
bedbugbilly
The only real "queen" that I have is the Python . . . and despite what others think of them, I really don' tike it a whole lot -...
That there is nothing short of blasphemous (LOL). That said, you are correct indeed in terms of "investment" as they seem to be consistently gaining value (almost like Google's Stock).

If I may be so bold, what is it about the gun that you don't like so much?

--Happy New Year
Old January 14, 2014, 02:00 PM   #40
dmanisgnarly

I take mine out about every 6 months just to admire it The dehumidifier in my safe keeps my guns in pretty good shape(even when untouched for a year at a time for deployments)
Old January 14, 2014, 03:17 PM   #41
chris in va

No such thing as a 'safe queen' in my meager collection. If it doesn't get used a few times a year, it gets sold for something that does. I can't afford to keep a paperweight in my safe.
Old January 14, 2014, 04:06 PM   #42
JWT

Since humidity and rust are not really a problem in Arizona I check the few safe queens I have about once a year and relube if necessary.
Old January 16, 2014, 02:22 PM   #43
745SW

I virtually never re-lube the handguns that are kept in the Doskocil/Gun Guard plastic w/metal rod hinge, foam lined cases that are 12”x8.5”x2.5”. The foam hasn’t degraded noticeably in well over two or perhaps three decades. I hear of similar experiences of others at the various shows. While the cases consume a good deal of space they offer excellent long-term protection during transit and in the safe. Most likely one of my best accessory purchases I’ve ever made. Not a single handgun Doskocil/Gun Guard case has failed on me in any manner. Only mod I’ve made was to bevel the slide closure area a bit with a file to facilitate easier closing of the case. The slide closure(s) will accept a small lock, a feature that was long available before any requirement.

Handguns kept by other means such as the OEM plastic/cardboard boxes or gun socks do not fair as well. Periodic re-lubing is needed, perhaps once a year.

Last edited by 745SW; January 16, 2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old January 17, 2014, 09:07 AM   #44
highpower3006

Off the top of my head I have only about a half dozen that are truly safe queens. Before I put them away, I gave them a coat of Renaissance Wax. I take them out from time to time to admire them wipe 'em down and put them back. Once a year or so I may lube them but only if the action feels dry.
Old January 17, 2014, 06:49 PM   #45
Brian48

I have one gun (Colt Gold Cup) that's become a queen since I haven't shot it for years. I take it out and thoroughly clean it every 4-5 months, and re-apply a fresh coat of CLP.
Old January 17, 2014, 06:57 PM   #46
pathdoc

Your Queen: HOW OFTEN?

As someone who was born in a nation with a female monarch and lives in another nation with the same female monarch (British Commonwealth - we share these things around), your question surprised the hell out of me! The answer: THE PRINCE CONSORT, FOUR TIMES THAT WE ARE SURE OF SINCE 1953.

In answer to your actual question, once I recovered from my surprise, I've found opportunities to use all my guns about equally. However, the .22 barrel on my Savage Model 42 is the one with the lowest overall round-count and number of sessions at which fired. 55 rounds and twice in 12 months.
Old January 19, 2014, 03:08 AM   #47
Hook686

I do not have a 'Safe Queen'. I strive to shoot each gun I own at least once a year. I do not always succeed in that. Some get shot a couple of times a month (S&W 340, S&W 627, DE XIX), some are lucky to get taken to the range once in two years (Ruger M77, Winchester M70, Remington 1100). Since I live in the California Central Valley there is really not fear of rust and since I clean my firearms after each use I think they are kept pretty clean and well lubricated. If I had a 'Safe Queen', I'd probably sell it. I see no reason to take up space for something I could occupy with that actually was used.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 31, 2014, 06:31 AM   #48
HK_Dave

1853 Snider-Enfield and a 1863 Springfield, both not in firing condition. basically wall-hangers that stay in the safe.

1883 vintage '73 Winchester .44-40 that's been in the family since around 1920. my dad used to take it out once in a while, but i'm a little leery.

they all stay well oiled though. more preservative than lube.
Old January 31, 2014, 08:30 AM   #49
rodfac

Once a year, I go through the entire safe, clean 'em all and rack 'em back up. I'd do it more often but our basement is especially dry, and I run a dehumidifier down there in the warmer months. I've never found a trace of rust on any of my guns or tools. Rod