The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 17, 2013, 09:36 PM   #26
orionengnr

For me--
1. Concealability. I don't care how reliable it is--if I cannot effectively conceal it, I won't carry it. This has excluded pretty much any double-stack from my inventory.
2. Reliability. It has to work, every time; otherwise, what's the point?
3. Ability to shoot reasonably well. This is where the rubber meets the road. My Kahr PM9 and my S&W 642 are similar in weight and size, and both are dead-nuts reliable. But I shoot the Kahr better. A bunch better. I can pick it up after six months' absence and shoot it better than I do the j-frame, after shooting the j-frame twice a month for six months. Five years ago, I thought that was a fluke, and sold all my j-frames. Eighteen months ago, I bought another j-frame. Guess what? It's still true. Which one will go out the door with me tomorrow? Take a guess.
4. Confidence in pistol/round. I have more confidence in a .45acp than I do in a 9mm/etc. I shoot a 1911 (even a 3" alloy framed 1911) better than anything else. So I carry a 1911 whenever I can do so. In practice, this turns out to be about 50% of the time. As much as I liked (note the use of the past tense) my two LCPs (and they were exceedingly easy to carry and perfectly reliable) I no longer own one. Right or wrong, I just don't trust the cartridge. The PM9 is only a bit larger, but I shoot it better and I trust the 9mm +p+ more than I will ever thrust the .380.

YMMV.

Whatever your decision is, make sure you base it upon objective criteria.
Best regards, Rich

Edited to add: You will note that capacity did not enter into the conversation (for me). While I understand that the day may come when I will face multiple determined attackers, I have done that calculation to my satisfaction. I hope I have done it correctly.
Old December 18, 2013, 11:05 AM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

1) Reliability.
2) Everything else.

That's the easy answer. To break it down a little further, though, it goes something like this:
1) Reliability. It must go bang when it need it to, no ifs, ands, or buts.
2) Caliber.
3) Capacity.
4) Accurate.
5) Concealable.
6) Comfortable.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old December 18, 2013, 07:11 PM   #28
skoro

What CC handgun/pistol qualities are most important to you?

I have two:

1. Reliability

2. Ease of handling/manual of arms
Old December 19, 2013, 12:51 PM   #29
peacefulgary

It must be comfortable and easy to carry, and easy to conceal.
If it's too big, too bulky, or too heavy, it's going to stay at home.
This is a lesson that I have learned, denied, and had to re-learn time and time again.

Reliability is a must for obvious reasons.

I have to be able to shoot the handgun well and with reasonable accuracy.

Caliber and capacity are really not too big of a concern for me these days.
Old December 19, 2013, 06:40 PM   #30
Nail Shooter

Reliability. Everything else is secondary. If I had to rate number two it would be capacity.
Old December 19, 2013, 07:44 PM   #31
MR.G

1. Reliability
2. Concealability
Old December 19, 2013, 09:10 PM   #32
SocialAnarchist

1) Comfortable to carry
2) Concealability
3) Caliber, at least 9mm but I prefer .45acp
4) Capacity of at least 6 rounds

I guess I am at a loss of why so many people mentioned reliability as a needed attritbute for a carry pistol. Why you ask? Because for me if a firearm I own isn't reliable it doesn't stay mine for very long. Well, let me qualify that. If it is a collectable firearm and not something for self protection or hunting then reliability has little to do with my desire to own it.
Old December 20, 2013, 05:00 PM   #33
DannyB1954

Reliability. I bought a Beretta Nano that had eject and feed problems. I would not carry it. I bought something else.

Comfort while carrying in concealment. I have a number of IWB holsters. I don't like any of them. Just uncomfortable. I carry OWB, so I like guns that are thin to help conceal. Small is good as well. SR9C with a pull over shirt is about right for me. When I can not dress like this, I often pocket carry a Diamondback DB9.

Capacity is not at all important to me. Most gun fights are over in less than 5 rounds. The more bullets you shoot, the more likely you will hit something / someone, that you really didn't intend to. Each bullet has an Attorney attached. Not one in your behalf, but one that wants to sue you or put you in jail if possible.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:50 AM   #34
5thShock

Can fit in pockets. I won't be embarking on the Tao of holsters and acquiring the mandatory, so I've read, drawer full of failed candidates.
Reliable.
Reliable.
Old December 28, 2013, 09:06 PM   #35
Pezo

1) reliability. 2) safe to carry. Like not prone to go bang if dropped. Won't fire unless trigger is pulled. Da or dao trigger. Kinda an extension of reliability. 3) accurate enough for combat shooting. 4) caliber. Must be an effective caliber with good defensive ammo selection. 5) concealiabilty. 6) capacity. Must be at least 5 shots for reload. 7) simplicity and familiarity.
Old December 29, 2013, 07:30 PM   #36
Yankee Doodle

r e l i a b i l i t y
Old December 29, 2013, 08:22 PM   #37
SHE3PDOG

Size: If it isn't with me because I hate having it on me or it isn't easily concealable, it is useless. A gun with me is better than no gun at all.

Reliability: This isn't a big issue with most modern guns, but if I pull the trigger, it better shoot!

Enjoyable: if I don't like shooting it, I won't practice with it. What good is a gun if I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it?

All other things are just icing on the cake. I'm a firm believer that accuracy and speed come with practice.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old December 31, 2013, 01:22 PM   #38
Willie Lowman

She3pdog. Exactly. My Colt 1911, my Sig P226 and S&W 627 are awesome handguns. While they are all super accurate and ultra reliable, they are too bulky for me to conceal effectively or carry comfortably.

The Glock 26 on the other hand...