The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 19, 2013, 08:49 AM   #26
Jeff22

10mm

One option would be to buy a Glock 20 in 10mm and then possibly get conversion barrels in .40 S&W and .357 Sig. You could do your routine practice with the .40. The .357 Sig round has interesting ballistics too.

In any case, change your recoil spring about every 3000 rounds. That will reduce the damage from shooting hot rounds. It's a simple user- replaceable part that can greatly reduce the wear on the frame from frequent shooting, and most of us (myself included) don't change recoil springs as often as we should.
Old December 19, 2013, 09:52 AM   #27
Dave P

"Just get a S&W 1006 and be done with it."

This. Built like a tank.
Old December 19, 2013, 10:51 AM   #28
Mystro

Yup, and totally not nessisary to run full power loads to humanity kill any size whitetail deer in a 40 caliber. Black bears are not any harder to kill than a whitetail.
With solids, you will get the same penetration results on a bear with a 40 as a 10.

Quote:
Quote:
Full-power 10mm is 700-800ft/lbs.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 20, 2013, 08:53 PM   #29
DannyB1954

You should get what you shoot best, or enjoy the most. If you get a gun that you hate to shoot for fun, you will not get much practice. Shot placement trumps caliber. If you can put one .22lr between the eyes, they will go down. So how much is enough? For me 9mm is a good compromise. I can put it where I want, like to shoot it. The practice rounds cost less than others.

Most of the over the counter 10mm rounds have the same ballistic power as a 40S&W at a much higher cost.