The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 7, 2013, 10:33 PM   #1
pjp74

S&W M&P 15-22

Ok guys I bought my daughter a 15-22 for Christmas, she's 11 by the way and it will be kept in my gun safe. She loves my 10/22 and she also loves my AR, so I figured this would be the best of both worlds. Anyways I was wondering has anyone had any problems with these rifles or is there anything I need to be looking for. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Old December 7, 2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Ibmikey

The 15-22 is more fun than peeing off a bridge! The neat thing is now you can buy parts, optics, accessories etc for your AR and your daughter can swipe them for HER 15-22. Seriously, your purchase will introduce your daughter to the AR platform and she will have loads of fun shooting it alas, soon you will find a need to buy your own to join in on the fun.
Old December 8, 2013, 01:00 AM   #3
dakota.potts

Good gun. Our 10/22 jams but our 15-22 flings everything 15 feet clear of the ejection port. Not a problem nor a hiccup with it so far. Accurate too!

The Shooter's Report is also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theshootersreport
Old December 8, 2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Brotherbadger

Getting your daughter a 15-22 is going to be a very costly decision. She is going to love it SO MUCH, you will eventually need to buy her a real ar-15. Also, i think you will find you will like it too.

Seriously though, 15-22 is a wonderful gun. I've shot probably 2,000 rounds through one, and never had a problem. Granted, 2,000 isn't that big of a sample size, but we used the cheapest 22 ammo we could find. I figure if it would have jammed, it would have happened already using the old Bucket O bullets crap.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old December 8, 2013, 08:44 AM   #5
TMD

Have over 10,000 rounds through mine, all cheap bulk pack ammo. Only issue you will have is not being able to reload it fast enough. Spare mags are only about $20 so grab a handful for stocking stuffers.
Old December 8, 2013, 11:04 AM   #6
9x19

I have two 15-22s and no complaints. The earliest models had some teething issues, but S&W took care of them pretty fast and they have been much better guns since the first year.

When your daughter is ready for the center-fire, the S&W M&P 15 Sport is a good value.
Old December 8, 2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Ibmikey

PJP.....sign into the S&W forum, they have a 15-22 section and a lot of neat folks....language suitable for 11 year olds.
Old December 9, 2013, 04:26 PM   #8
dutchgunsmoke

I use it as a competition gun.

Yep, that's right... competition. a.i dynamic shooting.

Reasons;
1 accuracy.
2 as to be expected of a true ar-platform easy to tinker with - ranging from your choice of stock, grips etc right up to your own preferred triggergroup.
3 reliability
4 reliability
5 reliability

and so on and so on...

AKA gunsmoke on the coltforum and Diamondback on vuwa.net
Old December 9, 2013, 11:46 PM   #9
dakota.potts

What kind of competitions do you use it in?

The Shooter's Report is also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theshootersreport
Old December 10, 2013, 07:22 AM   #10
dutchgunsmoke

Dynamic shooting. A kind of ipsc but transitions from one stage to the other are done with unloaded and cleared weapons. At least 4 stages. Score is a combination of hits or points scored and time.

Distances vary from 5 to 100 meters. Various targets including static clay pigeons, steelplates and paper. Number of targets vary from a minimum of 50 and up.

AKA gunsmoke on the coltforum and Diamondback on vuwa.net
Old December 10, 2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Constantine

If you ever want to remove the muzzle break for a suppressor, be really careful. They tighten it up real nice and since it's all plastic you can snap the barrel from the receiver and ruin the gun.

Other wise, my buddy who is also LE has 3.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old December 10, 2013, 09:19 AM   #12
JWT

My grandson has been shooting my M&P 15-22 since he was 10. He loves the little gun and handles it with ease. The collapsable stock makes it easy to adjust for him as he's grown.

I have thousands of rounds through mine - almost all Federal bulk pack - with never a malfunction. Great little gun that is lots of fun to shoot. Accurate too.
Old December 10, 2013, 09:29 AM   #13
9x19

Quote:
If you ever want to remove the muzzle break for a suppressor, be really careful. They tighten it up real nice and since it's all plastic you can snap the barrel from the receiver and ruin the gun.
Good advice.

Mine wasn't that tight, but I always clamp the barrel in a padded vise anyway.

Old December 10, 2013, 09:44 AM   #14
MTT TL

I think S&W will eventually crush the 10/22 with this rifle. With 10/22s having gone up in price the difference between them for the extra value is not that significant.
Old December 10, 2013, 04:47 PM   #15
9x19

Quote:
I think S&W will eventually crush the 10/22 with this rifle. With 10/22s having gone up in price the difference between them for the extra value is not that significant.
I think there's too much versatility built into the 10/22 to die at the hands of a dedicated AR15 clone.

Remember there are lots of folks who don't own, don't want and won't buy an AR... rimfire or centerfire.

The S&W is an excellent AR clone and I like mine alot, but the 10/22 can be setup in so many different ways (even in an AR look-alike) that I expect it will be around for a long time.
Old December 10, 2013, 08:53 PM   #16
Justice06RR

The 15-22 is a great 22lr rifle. You guys will have lots of fun with it.

Buy lots of ammo and mags!
Old January 7, 2014, 04:13 PM   #17
bitttorrrent

I have one also and is great fun. I grew up with Riger 10/22 and still have it and like to shoot as much as others.

Although I have a single shot for my 11 year old girl that's food idea and I will see if she likes the 15-22.
Old January 9, 2014, 10:24 PM   #18
Marquezj16

Quote:
is there anything I need to be looking for.
Yes, there is. Look for lots of ammo!
Old January 11, 2014, 09:37 AM   #19
Ibmikey

Get her a $40 Aimpoint T-1 clone off E bay (ugh) it is super small and works well on a 15-22. Just emphasize the need to turn it off when done shooting. Also if using a bore snake place a straw over the ejector so the snake does not catch and bend it.
Old January 11, 2014, 12:07 PM   #20
ParabellumJ

I just picked up a 15-22 myself. Only problem you will have is finding enough ammo. It's a fantastic gun. I own a custom built 10/22 and honestly, the M&P was less than half the amount it cost me to build my 10/22 and is just as much fun to shoot, if not more.
Old January 12, 2014, 02:16 AM   #21
hemiram

I had a 15-22 pistol. I needed cash, so I sold it for a nice profit, but I sure wish I could have held onto it. I was planning on buying a 15-22 rifle to go with it, but it looks like I will get a "real" AR before that. A friend has 2 15-22 rifles, and a pistol, and they all work great, even shooting ammo S&W tells you to avoid.