The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2013, 01:56 PM   #1
915A

M&P40c vs SR40C vs Shield 40

I'm torn between the 3. I was close to going with a G23 but I'm back to these 3. I have an SR9c and love it, but I've seen quite a few issues lately with the SR line so I'm on the fence. The M&Ps feel great, so there is my dilema. Se friendly advice needed.

Thanks
Old December 5, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
BarryLee

A friend has the M&P40c which is very nice and has caused me to consider one down the road. Also, my brother owns a Shield in 9mm and while it’s a nice gun I’m not sure it’s the best platform for .40S&W. From my limited experience I’d go with the M&P40c.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 5, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
SIMP

I'd stay where you are for now with SR until yours actually has issues. Especially since you like the SR. But, I do have a Shield in 9mm and I like it.....never fired one in 40. Good luck.
Old December 5, 2013, 07:02 PM   #4
sigp226wgerman

G27
Old December 5, 2013, 08:41 PM   #5
ritepath

Can't go wrong with any of the three actually.

I moved from the 9c to the Shield because (like the 26/27/40c) they're just too wide for conceal carry for me.

I had to really debate 40 or 9 with the shield...in the end the 9 won out. I still buy lots of 40 but never shoot mine. Maybe I need a shield in 40 after all.
Old December 6, 2013, 12:11 AM   #6
915A

Thanks guys. I went with the SR40c. After handling all 3 for quite a bit, I remembered why I got the SR9c. It just feels right to me. And I know if I have any issues Ruger will make it right. Bring her home tomorrow.
Old December 6, 2013, 05:14 PM   #7
dean1818

I looked at all 3 and went with the Shield 40

Love the gun

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old December 6, 2013, 06:58 PM   #8
breakingcontact

Re: M&P40c vs SR40C vs Shield 40

Your SR pistols have better triggers than M&P compact. Shield trigger is good. I have owned all 3.
Old December 11, 2013, 09:47 AM   #9
garryc

I just bought a 40 shield. I've only had it out once firing WWB 165 grain and some 175 grain cast reloads. It shot 5-6" low for me and slightly left at 7 yards. Still, all combat hits.
Old December 12, 2013, 10:46 PM   #10
uradaisyifudo

Good choice and congrats on the SR 40, I like the slim grips and have had 0 issues with mine. I also find them easy to take down and clean. That said I have considered replacing the guide rod with stainless, more aggressive firing pin springs are also available to address that rumored light primer strike issue that I have yet to experience. Have fun, kill some paper.
Old January 9, 2014, 07:20 PM   #11
dos0711

Most of the light primer hits were due to too much grease in the area of the firing pin from the factory. Once cleaned, function was restored.
Old January 9, 2014, 07:32 PM   #12
tahunua001

seems like you have a horribly mismatched group of contenders here.

the trigger on the M&P is vastely different from the SR line. just because you are accurate with the SR9C does not guarantee accuracy with the M&P although the same can be said that it also does not guarantee accuracy with the SR40C either. I highly suggest shooting an M&P before buying if at all possible.

then you are comparing the shield which is a sub compact to the M&P compact and SR compact, two guns that are much larger and generally easier to shoot accurately as well as having higher ammo capacities. the two different types fill two difference niches in the concealed carry world.

I personally own an SR9C as well and until recently have carried it as my EDC but have just switched over to my XDM45C bacause I am more accurate with it, and also I prefer many of the features of the XDM over SR line. I still love the SR9 and will likely never sell it but there are guns out there that are superior. this is just my personal opinion of course and it's worth what you paid for it, but I do not for one instant believe that the M&P is among that list.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 9, 2014, 07:35 PM   #13
ritepath

My SR45 had a few light strikes early on, cleaned out the striker channel and no problems since. Works like a champ.

If the 45c ever comes out I'll be all over it.