The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 6, 2013, 09:59 AM   #26
dajowi

I purchased a Taurus Judge a number of years ago. Never had an issue with it. Sold it to a friend who likewise has had no issue. Although I had good luck with this Taurus, I wouldn't purchase another Taurus product.
Old December 6, 2013, 10:30 AM   #27
Kev

"This discussion also begs the question: I wonder what the market share of Taurus's in the US that have been sold in the last 10 years or whatever is?
I also wonder what percentage that is among newbies due to price? "

From 1986-2010
1 = Ruger (4,778,037)
2 = S&W (4,674,459)
3 = Beretta (2,455,716)
4 = Colt (1,411,776)
5 = Sig Sauer (1,299,849)
6 = Taurus (371,439)
Old December 6, 2013, 10:31 AM   #28
Chaz88

Quote:
I also wonder what percentage that is among newbies due to price?
If I was new to guns, on a budget, and had not looked into or bought into the internet reputation they would likely be some of my first purchases. I am a S&W fan and Taurus has nearly got my money a few times on some of their S&W clones. They might still get it, so that I can have shooters and give the hard to replace S&W's a break.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 6, 2013, 12:02 PM   #29
KMAX

From 1986-2010
1 = Ruger (4,778,037)
2 = S&W (4,674,459)
3 = Beretta (2,455,716)
4 = Colt (1,411,776)
5 = Sig Sauer (1,299,849)
6 = Taurus (371,439)

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 6, 2013, 12:30 PM   #30
James K
Staff

Taurus might be a smart choice for those who are expert enough to do a thorough checkout of a gun before buying. Many, maybe most, of the Taurus problems I have seen described have been ones that could have been detected prior to purchase had the buyer known what to look for.

Jim
Old December 6, 2013, 12:31 PM   #31
Kev

Kmax

That is all handguns.
The white paper I found also breaks down rifles, shotguns.
Ruger was the only company that showed data across all categories, interestingly.

Since it is on the web for public information, I guess no copyright laws are violated by sharing the link.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...57752919,d.cGU
Old December 6, 2013, 01:20 PM   #32
KMAX

Kev: Thanks for the link, even if it did raise more questions for me.

Old December 7, 2013, 09:16 AM   #33
jmr40

If 90% of any companies products work just fine and 10% give problems they would quickly get a reputation as junk. And rightly so in my opinion. Not talking about any brand in particular, but even the worst companies are probably better than 90%. If you get a good one, then you have a good one. But lots of guys, myself included, would be reluctant to buy knowing we had a 10% chance of a lemon.

Other factors to consider when choosing any budget gun. Most work just fine when new, it is long term durability that is often sacrificed. As is long term value. A budget gun that sold new for $200 twenty years ago might still bring $200 today. A S&W that sold for $400 twenty years ago will likely bring $500-$600 today used. Which one cost more in the long run.
Old December 7, 2013, 10:49 PM   #34
bushrat1

There's a reason they resemble Berettas...

aarondhgraham--quote: "Taurus has good designs,,,In some cases they appear to be S&W clones.The problem with Taurus doesn't stem from bad design,,,
It stems from dismal quality control from their manufacturing plant."

In 1971, the Bangor Punta Corporation, then the parent company of Smith & Wesson, purchased 54 percent of Forjas Taurus, allowing the two firearms manufacturers to easily share information regarding design and manufacturing.

In 1980, Taurus purchased Beretta's São Paulo, Brazil manufacturing plant, which included the tooling and technical drawings. And then the big surprise, in 1997 Taurus also purchased Rossi.

So that is why they resemble some models of Beretta and S&W.

Personally, I have owned a couple of Taurus revolvers and never had any real problems with them, other than triggers that could use a little work. But so do many other guns. Horrors, I bought a Colt Combat Commander once and had a problem with the extractor. But I don't go around hating Colts because of that. Lighten up everyone, nothings perfect.
Old December 7, 2013, 11:25 PM   #35
kilimanjaro

I have 3 Taurus revolvers, nothing wrong with any of them.

It's true the fit and finish are not up to S&W standard, but the ones I have function well and keep on functioning. Good workhorse pistols, to me.
Old December 8, 2013, 11:48 AM   #36
Jbar4Ranch

I was the Gun Room Manager for Sportsman's Warehouse for several years here and based on that, I would NEVER buy a Taurus revolver, but we had very good luck with the autos. I would return revolvers for warranty service every week, and often more than one at a time, but I think I sent back only one single auto in all that time and that was for a problem with the set screw in the front sight and had nothing to do with function.

SASS 47015
Old December 8, 2013, 11:50 AM   #37
baddarryl

Quote:
Personally, I have owned a couple of Taurus revolvers and never had any real problems with them, other than triggers that could use a little work. But so do many other guns. Horrors, I bought a Colt Combat Commander once and had a problem with the extractor. But I don't go around hating Colts because of that. Lighten up everyone, nothings perfect.
Excellent point. I had a Keltec P3at that turned me off to the brand forever, but I don't go around bagging it as it may have just been isolated and the company service was good and timely. I don't know if they ever did get the gun right as after it shipped back from them the last time I sold it immediately. Turned me off, but doesn't mean the brand sucks just because one gun did. I just grew up on Rugers and Glocks that run like Swiss watches and have come to expect that. Silly me! Oh yeah, my Taurus runs like that too!
Old December 8, 2013, 03:03 PM   #38
P5 Guy

The only thing wrong with Taurus/Rossi firearms, for me, is they are not significantly less expensive. I'd just rather buy a firearm made in the USA. Like a Ruger or Smith&Wesson.
Old December 8, 2013, 03:35 PM   #39
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I say all this because my personal experience with this gun has been fantastic. However, I have read so much Taurus bashing on this and other places that now if I see one in a shop I thumb my nose at it. Is that fair? I wonder.
If I had a Taurus that was working well and had provided good service, I wouldn't let the horror stories convince me to sell it.

But I would certainly take them into account when considering the purchase of another Taurus that I hadn't had the chance to personally test/evaluate.

The takeaway of all the horror stories is NOT that all Taurus guns are worthless--the company would have been out of business long ago if that were true. The moral of the story is that a purchaser needs to be aware that they're somewhat more likely to get a lemon when purchasing a Taurus than they would be if they purchased a more respected brand.
Quote:
It would also be interesting to see these numbers broken down into the categories of rifles, handguns, and shotguns.
That can be done by anyone who wants to spend the time on it. The BATFE publishes annual reports of imports and of domestic production broken down by manufacturer, by handgun, revolver and long gun.
Old December 8, 2013, 03:41 PM   #40
zx9rt1

I have fallen prey to Internet chatter.....Taurus

I have very good results from my PT1911. None of the junk that I've read about on the internet has happened to mine. No ambi safety falling off etc etc. this pistol shoots on par with my Colt Gold Cup Trophy and I'm very pleased with it. Would not sell or trade this one. It's a keeper!
Old December 8, 2013, 04:33 PM   #41
guncheese

the first Taurus in the family is the 65 i bought for the Fair Lady
fit,finish,action all top notch

Old December 8, 2013, 05:06 PM   #42
45long

I too have had a bad M85 ultra-lite had to ship it back. twice. it's lite because they machine too much off it. I have a 405 . 40 S&W revolver. Seems to be shout enough but accuracy is bad. I don't care for their mono grip design ,nor do I like the new grips they now put on them.

And I guess the only real thing that shys me away from them anymore is the fact that they aren't really that much cheaper (money wise) than other quality gun makers. Rugers SP101 357mag $ 489 vs Taurus Tracker 627 $468 . which one would you buy?

I agree. ALL gun makers have their good days and bad days. Just seems like Taurus has more of the bad days than others. And your wrong about resale value. The dang things go for as much used as they do new. I wouldn't recommend buying one used though because chances are high that someome is trying to unload one that was built on a bad day.

But as previously stated If you got a good gun ,of any make, keep it.
Old December 8, 2013, 06:48 PM   #43
mquail

I have 3 Taurus's. Everyone was as good as gold. If I have a new load in 38 or 357 it goes through the 66 first. Then it might go through one of the Colts or the GP100. My truck gun is an 85. My power walking/jogging gun is the PT738. Each and every one of these pistols is as good as anyone would want. Actually I've had more problems with Ruger autoloaders than anything else.
Old December 8, 2013, 08:22 PM   #44
Psychedelic Bang

I think Taurus has a huge menu of guns - definitely more models than Glock and Ruger combined. This is a lot of guns to look after, and it works for them, and against them in many different ways. On one hand, Taurus might have a model that is so popular like the 85 revolver, and they are experts at building that particular model, and those guns are coming out the door in brilliant shape. On the other hand, Taurus may come with a newer or different model like the 24/7 auto and they might have a recall, or return, or you know, "whatever the story was with that."

Keep in mind, "smith, springfield, not without their recalls."

So, just like any restaurant with a huge menu, for Taurus they may have so much cooking in the kitchen that sometimes a plate comes out a little cold.

I think this is important to note: There is no gun manufacturer right now, that I am aware of, that is making so many different style and choice and options of double action revolver.

I am genuinely interested in a lot of Taurus revolver products. You can not find those guns elsewhere.

I have another comparison, this time with cars. Remember in the 1990s, Kia's would save you a ton of money over an American or European car, but Kia's were flat out garbage. Fast forward to 2014.. Kia's may save you slightly, over an American or European car, there may be a slight quality issue with some models, then again there may not be, and the overall quality and even cost is no longer that much different.

I can accept the fact, that years back, in 1970s, or the 1980s, or even the 1990s Taurus may have had a reputation for being a cheap gun. If you really wanted a nice gun, you bought Smith or Colt. However, no way this is the case right now. Smith and Wesson quality to cost and expense ratio is easily argued; you can even say that, "folk are just paying for brand name," and Colt is not currently making DA revolvers so we can't even compare.

I'm not big on Taurus semi-automatic weapons, you know.. Its not my thing to have safety's on auto pistols (save for the 1911)... But the guns are ergonomic, well made, and nice shooters. Also.. I realize not all the pistols have safetys, some of the pockets may not have safety's I am not 100% sure.

So, the way I see Taurus? To me its kind of like Kia. You may save a few bucks, lol you may not. You definitely can't buy everything they make, some models totally rock. Modern manufacturing evens quality out a lot.

I'm way interested in Raging Revolvers and the 617? Wow!! Is that a gun! I want to check one out soon.

Edit = Maybe I should get this as my next carry gun. OMG, this thing is totally radical. http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

I was thinking about an XDS but, ya know.. I'm happy I didn't buy one yet, cause I could totally carry a Taurus Revolver confidently.

Last edited by Psychedelic Bang; December 8, 2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: I wanted to add a link from Taurus' website and make a comment about the 617
Old December 9, 2013, 07:22 AM   #45
KMAX

Quote:
The only thing wrong with Taurus/Rossi firearms, for me, is they are not significantly less expensive.
From what I am seeing Smiths are twice the price or more of a Taurus or Rossi. I would say that makes the Taurus or Rossi significantly expensive. Prices may vary in your area, but I see this price difference in my area. If I could find a S&W not more that a couple hundred bucks more than a comparable model Taurus sure I would buy it if it looked like it was in good condition and had not been run over by a tank.

Last edited by KMAX; December 9, 2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old December 9, 2013, 09:28 AM   #46
baddarryl

Quote:
If I had a Taurus that was working well and had provided good service, I wouldn't let the horror stories convince me to sell it.
I have no intention of selling mine, but do have hesitation buying others. That is purely the result of internet chatter. Weak, I know.
Old December 9, 2013, 01:21 PM   #47
KMAX

Baddarryl: You are not alone in feeling this way. I have never had problems with any of my Taurii, yet I am also hesitant to buy another.

Old December 9, 2013, 01:40 PM   #48
JERRYS.

Quote:
Taurus might be a smart choice for those who are expert enough to do a thorough checkout of a gun before buying. Many, maybe most, of the Taurus problems I have seen described have been ones that could have been detected prior to purchase had the buyer known what to look for.

this, and it can be said for charter arms guns too.
Old December 9, 2013, 03:14 PM   #49
P5 Guy

Quote:
From what I am seeing Smiths are twice the price or more of a Taurus or Rossi. I would say that makes the Taurus or Rossi significantly expensive. Prices may vary in your area, but I see this price difference in my area. If I could find a S&W not more that a couple hundred bucks more than a comparable model Taurus sure I would buy it if it looked like it was in good condition and had not been run over by a tank.
And Rugers. I have not bought a "new" S&W but I have acquired a number of lightly used S&W revolvers and pistols at around the same as Tauruses or would it be Taurii on the same tables at gunshows.
Florida seems to have some 'pricing issues' at the gunshows.
Old December 9, 2013, 03:43 PM   #50
KMAX

I can't seem to find any "lightly used" Smiths in my area. They all look like hammered schtuff. Anything that is not beat up is nearly MSRP. I do however live in a rural area and don't "know my way around" any of the bigger city gun stores so to speak. If I were more familiar with the gun market in DFW area or San Antonio area I might have better luck.