The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Duzell

RIA 1911 tactical, anything i need to know before shooting?

well im picking up a 1911 Rock island armory , tactical.
just asking if there is anything i should know thats different from a normal 1911, like say my kimber one.

~thanks
DUZ

Rock Island Armory M1911-A1 FS Tactical

current guns projects : Howa GK 1500, TM15 custom
Old November 23, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2
leadcounsel

Yes.

You should know that once you shoot it, you'll be mad that you spent twice as much on the Kimber.
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.
Old November 23, 2013, 09:50 PM   #3
cosh

+1 for the RIA. I have a Citadel which is from the same factory as the RIA. Shot at the range last summer and a gentleman who owns a Kimber shot the Citadel commenting it very similar feel to the trigger and accuracy about the same as the Kimber. Shook his head and said, "Why did I get the Kimber? Nice piece."
Old November 24, 2013, 09:53 AM   #4
10mm4ever

The FS tactical is still the best budget priced 'enhanced' 1911 out there IMO. Liked my first enough to get a second. They're solid and backed by some of the best CS in the industry.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:04 AM   #5
qwiksdraw

Your RIA has a lifetime warranty. When did you Kimber warranty expire?
Old November 24, 2013, 11:12 AM   #6
pat701

My son in-law wants one, what did you pay for it?
Old November 24, 2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Duzell

@pat701, its 525$ at my local gunshop, but in CA you have to be a dealer for RIA to sell it , because its restricted here. this is the tac series, look into the tac II as thats the new version they are selling (i just cant get one in CA), but for a few more dollars it comes with a lot more.

the kimber is very picky about being clean. its the match kimber that was bought to do competition shooting. i was actually getting the RIA as my home defense 1911.

current guns projects : Howa GK 1500, TM15 custom
Old January 9, 2014, 06:33 AM   #8
rglassma

I just picked up my FS Tac II with the VZ grip.. Haven't shot it yet.. But, I am amazed at what you get for the money. I paid about 50 more for it:

Includes:

Ambi Safety
Extended Beavertail
Fiber Optics Front Sight/Adjustable Rear Site
8 round mag (also bought a WC mag as number 2)
VZ G10 heavily textured grip (great purchase)

I'll let you know how it shoots....
Old January 10, 2014, 01:52 AM   #9
jmstr

I bought one in 2010. Love it, the warranty and the great CS from Arnel and the bunch at Armscorp.

I bought a second one early this summer, I like their products so much.

I also picked up a RIA officers [compact is their term] frame to use for a dedicated .22lr conversion 1911.

I also have a Kimber [purchased used], a Sistema from 1960, and a Caspian.

I sold my Springfield Loaded blackened Stainless target model and I could pay for 2 RIA tacticals for the same money as the SA cost.

Yes, Forged v Cast frames. MIM parts, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah.

I was at the range a year ago and two guys next to me said I should be in a commercial for RIA, due to the accuracy I was getting from it compared to their Colt and Kimber full-sized 1911s.

My groups were about 1/3 the size of theirs at the same distance, consistently.

I let them think it was the gun, because I KNOW I am not that good of a shooter!

If you are a functionalist, who is concerned with the ability to have fun and save your life, the RIA Tactical is a GREAT gun!

If you are someone who wants it for the art of a gun, for the bragging rights, for the all-forged character of the gun, or other more esoteric reasons: RIA may not be the right fit for you.

I want my 1911 to be reliable, be more accurate than I am, and be fun to shoot. The RIA has proven itself to me in all three categories.

So much so that I now own 2 1911 tacticals [one with the rail].

Great product for the user. May not be much good for the 'collector', who is concerned with the resale value of his/her purchase. But, if you want a 1911 to SHOOT, and not worry if it gets knocked around a bit, the RIA Tactical is a great option!
Old January 10, 2014, 04:07 AM   #10
rglassma

Went to the range yesterday and put 100+ rounds through my Rock Island Tactical II FS with the VZ grip... Very nice shooter. But, made the following observations and had minor issue:

1) Had to raise the rear sight (adjustable) since it was shooting a little low. But of course my vision isn't great and it shoots better then I can. Problem solved

2) The armscor mag that accompanied the gun is not the best. Doesn't retract the slide after 8 shots all the time... I also had a WC 8 round clip and it functions well without that issue so I don't believe it is the gun. Read of this issue before.

3) The trigger is just right for me and has a very nice SA feel

4) Store bought rounds had no failures.. Had a couple on my reloads. But I guess that is to be expected since I haven't fine tuned the cartridge for the gun.

5) Spoke with Armscor and they said send the clip back and they will replace it no questions asked. I purchased a second WC 8 round mag at the range..

6) The VZ grip is fantastic.. After 100 rounds, very comfortable with no negative issues.

7) Overall, I am very pleased with the gun. It looks great, shoots great, has good recoil management, and the price was right...
Old January 10, 2014, 07:43 AM   #11
K31Scout

Mine needs the safety levers de-horned a bit but otherwise I'm all smiles.
Old January 10, 2014, 08:02 AM   #12
qwiksdraw

Quote:
rglassma.... Went to the range yesterday and put 100+ rounds through my Rock Island Tactical II FS....

I also had a WC 8 round clip......

5) Spoke with Armscor and they said send the clip back...
I'm beginning to see the problem..............

Very interesting range report, too.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:52 PM   #13
thedudeabides

Sloppy fit, sharp corners inside and out that may not have been deburred, cheap sights, cheap grips (unless you get the VZ grips model), cheap trigger with gritty feel and crunchy break, cheap throwaway magazines, loose fit of grip safety, thumb safety, cheap finish, ugly lettering... You have to be blind to think that this gun is anything but a 600 dollar 1911 and the comparisons to American guns that have actually had some fitting makes me scratch my head.

RIAs either work out of the box or they don't. They're a great value if you're experienced with working on 1911s and don't mind taking one apart and polishing all the rough surfaces and replacing some of the junk parts--but that costs time and money.

I bought one of the monolith knockoff 10mm guns. It took me about two weeks and 150 bucks of parts to actually get it to work and look right.

If you are considering a RIA, consider spending a few bucks more and get a Springer.
Old January 10, 2014, 07:52 PM   #14
Hawg Haggen

Quote:
Sloppy fit, sharp corners inside and out that may not have been deburred, cheap sights, cheap grips (unless you get the VZ grips model), cheap trigger with gritty feel and crunchy break, cheap throwaway magazines, loose fit of grip safety, thumb safety, cheap finish, ugly lettering... You have to be blind to think that this gun is anything but a 600 dollar 1911 and the comparisons to American guns that have actually had some fitting makes me scratch my head.
What you described is the exact opposite from mine except for the mag and grips. The smooth wood grips are pretty crappy but is an easy fix and you need new mags anyway. Mine likes Chip McCormick Shooting Stars. The finish looks chalky out of the box but looks pretty decent once its oiled up. The newest ones have a small logo on the rear of the slide. The older ones aren't highlighted and the ones that are can be cold blued. They may not be American made but they shoot just as good and feed anything and they have a lifetime warranty with the best CS in the business.
Old January 11, 2014, 11:18 PM   #15
std7mag

Wow, the latest Cheaperthandirt catalog, along with their website, lists it for $429 and free shipping to the FFL of your choice.

Not saying, just saying...

And yes, I'm saving my pennies for one of these..