The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Amateur13

Ruger .22 pistols

Hey guys,

Ok I need some thoughts/suggestions. I'm trying to decide between either a Ruger 22/45 stainless model #10110 or a Ruger MKIII stainless target model #10103. The MKIII has replaceable grips but is about $100 more. So I guess my question is, is it worth paying that much more for the replaceable grips? The pistol is mainly just going to be used for target shooting.
Thanks!
Old November 23, 2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Pilot

I have both. A MK II era 22/45, and three MK II's. It all depends on what grip angle you want. I like both, but prefer the grip angle of the MK II/III. It just feels right to me, but many like the grip angle of the 22/45 as it mimics the 1911. The 22/45 is also lighter as it has a polymer frame.

I bought a 4 inch bull barrel 22/45 essentially as a "kit" or field gun due to its size, and lighter weight, although I also have a MK II "Standard" model which is probably just as light due to its "pencil" barrel.

For me, the sweet spot in the Ruger .22 line up is the 5.5 inch bull barrel target model of which I have two. Both are MK II's. One I have kept stock, and one has some VQ trigger/sear parts. Is the MK II/III worth $100 more? If you prefer the grip, yes. Buy once, cry once, but get what you want.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:53 AM   #3
g.willikers

The latest version of the 22/45 has replaceable grips, too.
Problem solved?
http://ruger.com/products/2245/index.html
Old November 23, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4
weblance

I brought up the replaceable grip suggestion in your other thread. Whatever you buy, try to get a frame with replaceable panels(grips). The 22/45 has models that have replaceable panels. All Mark III models do, but not all 22/45s do. The reason the Mark III pistol is $100 more is the metal grip frame, as opposed to the 22/45s Polymer frame. I have a Mark II Stainless Target from 1990(my first real, new gun purchase) and have recently bought three different 22/45s. I like the 22/45 grip angle better, and they are all exceptional shooters. I dont feel the $100+ increase is worth it for the Mark III, so I bought 22/45s.
Old November 23, 2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Ozzieman

I second what Pilot said, I have never owned a 22/44 because I don’t like the grip angle even though I like/love the 1911. It might be more the fact that I like the MKll’s grip angle more with that gun.
You need to pick the one that you feel best with.
Personally I would look for an MKll over an MKlll, I like the simpler gun with less moving parts. Please don’t start an argument on this, it’s just me but I don’t like the load indicator.

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old November 23, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Road_Clam

I recently purchased a MKIII512TG model 10159 with the hardwood contoured grip. It feels so perfect in my hand (I have long thin fingers). So far love the pistol. The only issue with my specific model is the mag ejection button is a bit difficult to push from the large girth of the grip.
Old November 23, 2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Rogervzv

I went with the Mark III myself, and actually own several of these guns. Nothing against the 22/45 but I like the solid steel construction of the Mark III and overall I just like the gun a little better. For sure get a gun with replaceable grips.
Old November 23, 2013, 01:20 PM   #8
Amateur13

I know that some of the 22/45's have replaceable panels, but not the stainless steel, or of so I can't find one that does. The model #10110 doesn't and I think that's the only 22/45 stainless model...right?
Old November 23, 2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Pahoo

Target Model !!!

Quote:
Ruger 22/45 stainless model #10110 or a Ruger MKIII stainless target model #10103.
If you can swing it, go with the Target model. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 23, 2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Ricklin

I had a Mk.II Govt. target in stainless for years, it had to leave the fold due to no fault of it's own. Long story that I won't relate.

I purchased a Mk.III hunter model. I like it a lot, but it did not have the reliability of my Mk. II

The issue was the LCI (loaded chamber indicator) present on all the Mk.III's.

The fortunate part is it is really easy to eliminate the LCI, without permanently altering the pistol.

My Mk.III is much more reliable, and now eats pretty much anything. The mod takes all of 5-10 minutes. Basically you remove the tiny cam that operates the chamber indicator.

Big improvement and 100% reversible if you so desire.
Old November 23, 2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The 22/45's just don't feel right in my hand--my MkIII's and SR22 both are better in that regard.
-------Metallica
Old November 24, 2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Viper99

You won't be happy with one or the other. Do what I did and get a 22/45 and a stainless hunter. Now I am looking for a stainless standard.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Sevens

It is not the advice you'll want to hear. It is definitely not the advice that happy owners of the Mark III want to hear. (all good, nobody has to take my advice)

But I will say with complete honesty and full energy that I would -ALWAYS- pay MORE MONEY for a clean, well-kept and tidy Mark II, then a box-fresh, never fired, never owned, never touched Mark III of any sort.

No exceptions.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Pilot

^^^^^Totally agree with Sevens. Try to find a nice MK II if you are able. If not, the lawyer crap added to the MK III can be removed without too much fuss.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Pahoo

On point

Quote:
I would -ALWAYS- pay MORE MONEY for a clean, well-kept and tidy Mark II, then a box-fresh, never fired
Same here but it did not address the OP's question. I am a Ruger fan and the best .22 pistol that I own, is a Smith-41. However, that too would be an answer to a question that was not asked.

On point and;
Be Safe !!!
Old November 24, 2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Sevens

Technically, you may be correct. However, if someone opened a thread on which model of Hi-Point to buy, it wouldn't be all too out of the box to suggest they forward that money to a SW9VE or a Ruger P-95 or some such.

Folks who are new to shooting and/or new to rimfire pistols simply have no idea that across the board, Mark II pistols are better pistols. If buying used is distasteful to them and they have no interest, that is absolutely fine, but the advice is still SOLID, no matter what question you believe they asked.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:22 PM   #17
Viper99

My Hunter is a mkII stainless. Beutiful. My 22/45 is a MKIII and I for one, have no problem with extra layers since this is not a defense weapon for me, just something for the range. Safeties don't bother me.
Old November 25, 2013, 06:37 AM   #18
kozak6

See if you can handle them in person.

I handled the MKIII 22/45 model without the interchangeable grips. It was like aiming a deck of cards. I was crushed since they are so much cheaper than the standard MKIII.

The standard MKIII felt like it was made for me, however.

The S&W 41 is a wonderful pistol, I'm sure, and I'd love to try one someday. Unfortunately, it costs two or three times what the Ruger does. Is it two or three times the pistol?
Old November 25, 2013, 06:45 AM   #19
cecILL

Being that you asked, go for the Mark III. But the best advice comes from Sevens.
Old November 25, 2013, 09:59 AM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
Folks who are new to shooting and/or new to rimfire pistols simply have no idea that across the board, Mark II pistols are better pistols.
Or you can buy a Mark III, remove the mag disconnect (by installing a Sam Lam bushing) and replace the LCI with a filler, and have a pistol with all the benefits of a Mark II with all the improvements of a Mark III, such as the thumb mag release and the larger feed ramp that feeds HP ammo better than a Mark II.
Old November 25, 2013, 07:15 PM   #21
mxsailor803

I have to agree with Pilot and Sevens on their point of views on this subject. Sometimes its just better to spend the money.
Old November 25, 2013, 07:54 PM   #22
saleen322

The MK III is the better choice of the two you listed. FWIW, I have MK IIs and a MK III. Working on Rugers for BE shooters has shown that you can get the trigger right on a MK III but it is harder than a II. When the trigger job is completed, I can't tell by feel the difference between a II or III. The bigger issue I encountered was with the new magazine release system. The MK II system by its nature assures the magazine is seated all the way up as it applies pressure from the bottom of the mag in that direction. However, if the frame is off any on a MK III or the button is not to spec, the magazine will not be up high enough and it will fail to feed sometimes. Ruger will fix it but it is still a PITA.