The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2013, 01:17 AM   #1
JimmyR

Trade CZ-75 for compact or Rami?

OK guys and gals, I have been comtemplating something, and need some advice.

Let me start by saying that I LOVE my CZ-75BD. It is my most accurate pistol, and the one that feels like it belongs in my hand. Until a few months ago, I would have put it head and shoulders above any other pistol known to man.

Then I bought a 1911.

I still love my CZ, but have been thinking about looking to get a smaller version, either the CZ 75 compact or the 2075 Rami. I really want to stay in the 75 series, since I really don't want to give up my CZ-75, I just think I want it smaller. (Further, since I am trading for the same caliber/style, it doesn't really violate Cheapshooter's rule, does it?)

Before I persue this any further, I was hoping some of you might be able to answer some questions:

1) For people who have shot the full size and one of the smaller, do they feel fairly similar, or do they feel like totally different guns?

2) Are mags for the compact and the Rami interchangeable with the full size? What about grips?

Any suggestions/personal experiences are welcome.
Old November 23, 2013, 01:49 AM   #2
Valornor

I have the 2075 Rami (p) in 9mm and I love it. A great carry piece. The down side to mine is that it is a polymer frame. So I can't speak on the grip. I do believe the mags are interchangeable.

With a 15 round mag the gun is great to shoot. I haven't shot it with a 10rnd yet. My only complaint is that the sights are adjustable. For a carry piece I would rather have fixed. However it's a small complaint.

The pistol with a 15 mag handles very similarly to a full size CZ. They make a spacer for the mag so there isn't a gap between the base of the mag and the grip. The pistol I bought came with two fifteen round mags.

Stay armed my friends
Old November 23, 2013, 02:30 AM   #3
JimmyR

Thanks Valornor,

If I get one, I want it to be as much like the one I have now as possible: metal gun with decocker only.
Old November 23, 2013, 05:30 AM   #4
wpsdlrg

I understand that CZ has discontinued the plastic frame on the Rami. There was always a metal framed version, anyway - so they are all alloy framed, now. As for the decocker - no problem. Just get the 2075 D Rami. "D" means decocker, in CZ nomenclature.
Old November 23, 2013, 06:08 AM   #5
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpsdlrg
I understand that CZ has discontinued the plastic frame on the Rami. There was always a metal framed version, anyway - so they are all alloy framed, now.
I knew they discontinued one, and I was blanking on which. They made the right choice. I'm not looking for a collection piece, I want a shooter. That means a metal gun in my book.
Old November 23, 2013, 01:10 PM   #6
wpsdlrg

Yes, the 2075 D Rami interests me, too. I have no need for another pistol, though, so I may never pursue this.

Who knows ? Never say never.....
Old November 23, 2013, 03:44 PM   #7
tekarra

I have some cZ75Bs and cZ75 Compacts and to me the feel is very similar. The shorter grip of the compact squeezes my hand just a bit and gives a better hold. In fact I shoot the Compact better than the full size. Tried a Rami some time back but it did not feel right.

Don't know if 75 mags fit the Rami, but the full size mags fit the 75 Compact however they do protrude out of the mag well.
Old November 23, 2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Dave1911

I do not have comparison between the full size CZ 75 and the smaller ones. But I am at place where two of my favorite semi autos are a full size 1911 and a compact CZ P01.

I find the compact P01 to feel as comfortable and accurate as my other non CZ full size semi autos. It has the decocker option. I know a lot of people talk about wanting the same platform across their their semi autos. For me at this point in my exploration, I like having different options. As you know the triggers are different between the CZ75 and 1911. And cocked and locked is different than decocker. To me the trigger differences are bigger than the cocked and locked vs. decocker. But I am not carrying on a regular basis. When getting the P01, I would have gone cocked and locked if I had a choice. But actually I think the decocker is a better carry option for me.

I also like having a lower cost 9mm P01 platform and having the low speed, big mass 45 / 1911 option for inside defense. And i like to practice shooting the two back to back. To me, the differences are not that big of a deal if you practice that way.

But to your original statement. If you love the full size CZ you already have, I would not get rid of it. Just add a compact or sub compact later when you have the coin.
Old November 23, 2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca

I have sho9t both the full-size CZ-75B and the CZ-75 Compact -- the version with the thumb safety. The Compact is, as the name conveys, smaller. Grips will not interchange, and full-size magazines will function but will not seat flush.

I like the CZ-75B. I LOVE the CZ-75 Compact. Like a Colt Combat Commander vs a Government model, for me the Compact balances better in my hand, and that means I shoot it better than the full-size version.
Old November 23, 2013, 04:00 PM   #10

I agree with Dave1911. About the only real thing you'll notice between a P-01 and your 75 BD is the lighter weight and slightly shorter grip. Since you have familiarity with the controls of the 75 BD, the P-01 would be a natural to transition to. I've had excellent service with mine and you're far less likely to have any functioning issues with the P-01 where the RAMI has been known to hiccup occasionally. Plus, if you didn't know this, the Rami is a chopped version of the CZ 40B where the P-01 is pure CZ 75 where manufacturing improvements were made that have been incorporated into all CZ designs post the P-01. My shooting partner and I once did a head-to-head comparison with the P-01 and his SIG/Sauer P-228. 2 very comparable pistols except the P-01 was slightly more accurate. Both were fed my best handloads easily more accurate than factory "Match" ammo. Both great pistols for sure, but I actually prefer the decocking system used by CZ.
Old November 23, 2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Pilot

Why would buying a 1911 make you want to sell your full size CZ-75, and get a compact one? Is this because you want to make the CZ more carry friendly? I don't understand the logic here.

I have a full size 75B, and a compact 75D PCR which similar to a P-01 except without the accessory rails, and a few other minor characteristics. I carry the PCR because it is lighter, and smaller yet still able to carry 15 rounds, and is a very accurate pistol.

If you are using the 75 as a range, and/or HD pistol, keep it. If you want to use the CZ for carry, a lightweight, compact like the PCR, or P-01 would be a but easier for concealed carry than the full size 75.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Viper99

JimmyR,
You and I are going in opposite directions. I recently purchased a CZ75 P-01 and fell in love with it the first time I shot it. Very accurate and it feels great in your hand. The CZ now alternates with my Glock G27 for CCW.

But, I am now looking to buy a full size CZ75B for range and home defense. Lusting for that CZ75B stainless with the cocobolo grips.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:22 PM   #13
Valornor

They discontinued the polymer frame a little while ago. I believe it's because they were having issues with the frame cracking in the .40sw. However it was fine for the 9mm. I think I remember paying 400 brand new and it's been a wonderful shooter.

Stay armed my friends
Old November 24, 2013, 01:23 PM   #14
armoredman

Something that needs to be said - the RAMI is NOT a version of the CZ-75. The RAMI is a severely downsized version of the 40B, AKA the Colt Z-40, but a design based solely on the CZ-75. My wife loves hers, but I can tell a difference in the feel.

If you want a compact carry pistol that feels just like your full size, can use the full size mags, and has the same handling, get thee a PCR.

Alloy frame for carry, decocker you're already familiar with, loaded chamber indicator, Novak style low rise sights, and CZ reliability/accuracy. If you don't need the M-3 rail, this is the way to go, pure classic AND a fantastic carry pistol.
If you want the M-3 rail, then get the P-01, which is also a great sidearm.

Either one will work fine for you, and I wish you the best in your hunt.
Old November 27, 2013, 01:09 AM   #15
JimmyR

Sorry for not responding to this sooner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot
Why would buying a 1911 make you want to sell your full size CZ-75, and get a compact one? Is this because you want to make the CZ more carry friendly? I don't understand the logic here.
My CZ 75 has been one of my best firearms, and I have carried it both openly and concealed. Lately, however, the 1911 has worked it's way in to where it is almost ready to be a carry gun. I had been thinking about downsizing my CZ75 to make it easier to carry. I CC it in my Old Faithful hybrid holster, and it does very well, so I'm not hurting for a CC pistol. It was just an idea, and I wanted to flesh it out some more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
Grips will not interchange, and full-size magazines will function but will not seat flush.
I was afraid of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper99
But, I am now looking to buy a full size CZ75B for range and home defense. Lusting for that CZ75B stainless with the cocobolo grips.
Stainless is nice, but for a CZ-75, nothing goes better than a set of VZ grips, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I like wood, but the VZ is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman
If you want a compact carry pistol that feels just like your full size, can use the full size mags, and has the same handling, get thee a PCR.
That may have made it onto my Christmas list...

Final decision, however, is to keep the one I got. I can't see myself getting rid of it, even for it's little brother. I can deal with a little length on the barrel...
Old November 27, 2013, 04:07 AM   #16
chris in va

I had a 75bd for years. It was really nice and all but quite heavy for carry. I sat down and mulled over my needs and got a P01. It does everything the 75 did and is considerably lighter.

Honestly though I wish it was a SA with safety. That way every shot can be the same trigger pull, like my 97b. The Compact would work but its all-steel.

One word of caution. A PCR or P01 with the flush metal mag plate will dig into your pinky. Get the mags with the thicker rubber baseplate.

Last edited by chris in va; November 27, 2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old November 27, 2013, 04:34 AM   #17
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
I had a 75bd for years. It was really nice and all but quite heavy for carry. I sat down and mulled over my needs and got a P01. It does everything the 75 did and is considerably lighter.
See, I don't find it too heavy for me. I use a good, heavy belt and a letaher/kydex hybrid holster, so the weight is pretty evenly distributed.
Old November 27, 2013, 10:09 PM   #18
larryh1108

Quote:
One word of caution. A PCR or P01 with the flush metal mag plate will dig into your pinky. Get the mags with the thicker rubber baseplate.

Get the base pads that replace the OEM mag bases.

Makes a big difference.
Old November 28, 2013, 10:54 AM   #19
Pilot

Keep the 75B, and get the PCR. Yes, they are rare as hen's teeth, but worth the wait. By the time you find one, you'll have saved up enough money, and then some.
Old December 11, 2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Trooper Joe

Jimmy R- Thanks for starting this thread.

Some of my info has been posted before, so forgive me my old memory.

2 months ago, I picked up a CZ clone, a Canik Stingray-C, and was really impressed. Started reading the various forums etc., and now have:

1) A RAMI, safety model
2) An all steel, original Compact
3) A PCR which is really a Compact, alloy frame, with a de-cocker, extended mag release, a loaded chamber indicator, and slightly better sights than the standard, steel Compact ["PCR" aka "Police Czech Republic"]
4 A CZ75 BD, "Police" model with a loaded chamber indicator and extended mag release.
5) And just two days ago, a Compact L from the CZ Custom Shop.

I feel that I should sell at least two to help offset the price of the Compact L (almost $1,000) and it is a very hard decision to make. I have sort of settled on the idea of keeping all my compact models and selling the RAMI and the CZ75BD.

To get back on track, for me, I like my PCR better than the RAMI. The only thing that would keep me from selling the RAMI is that they are so rare, and so very neat.

Again, excellent thread and thanks for letting me ramble on about my new love affairs with these CZ's.

PS: As a retired LEO, I used my newly acquired PCR for my annual LEOSA, nation wide carry permit, qualification and aced the course. (My department still uses Sigs and I will never sell my 1989 era 228, but I like the PCR better)

Trooper Joe
Old December 11, 2013, 11:34 PM   #21
JimmyR

Thanks for the input Joe. I think I am gonna hold on to my CZ75BD for now. It's just such a sweet shooter, and I have invested so much into it (grips, mags, holsters) that switching to a slightly smaller gun doesn't really make sense. I may pick up a PCR down the road, but for now, I'm keeping th ebog boy.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:54 PM   #22
BarkSlayer

I have a 75BD, a 75D PCR and a RAMI, and the best of the lot is the PCR. The full sized 75 frame is near perfect (for me) but the compact frame is absolutely the best shooting, most comfortable semi I've ever experienced. OTOH, the RAMI is a chubby thing that lacks the ergonomics of its big brothers. It's very accurate, but for a carry weapon, there was no need for a double stack, high capacity design. What I'd like to see is an alloy framed subcompact 9mm CZ in a single stack, 7+1 format. Essentially, a slightly smaller replacement for the recently discontinued excellent model 83 (.380 ACP).
Old December 31, 2013, 11:05 PM   #23
Aguila Blanca

Awhile back M1911.ORG broke out of the 1911 universe for a brief change of pace and reviewed the CZ-75 Compact.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=179