The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Mercenary

M&P Revisited

My first handgun was an M&P 9 FS plagued with the accuracy issues. I switched to Glocks and didn't look back....until I shot a friends M&P 40 FS with an APEX DCAEK installed.

What a difference!

I shot it not only better than with my G17 and G19 (both of which reminded me of th BTF issues) but quicker as well. The percieved recoil was less with the M&P 40 than a Gen 3 G17 and a Gen 4 G19 not only to myself but my friend as well. And we were shooting 115 gr WWB!

This has left me scratching my head wondering if I should go back to the other dark meat, M&P.

I had more hits on target with quicker follow up shots all in a larger caliber. If the 40 was so mild, the 9 would be a walk in the park.

Please advise if making a switch would make sense.

Also, how do the compacts mitigate recoil compared to the compact and subcompact Glocks?
Old November 21, 2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

Why switch? Just add an M&P to your stable. I am a huge fan of both Glocks and M&P's.

The M&P in 40 is a sweet shooter. If I were going to add another 40 it would probably be that, but the only 40 I shoot is the conversion for my Glock 20... now THAT is a soft shooting 40.

Do it!
Old November 22, 2013, 06:10 AM   #3
dean1818

Love my M&Ps

Got rid of all my other pistols to have one type of trigger

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old November 23, 2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I have a M&P .357 and bought a factory .40 barrel to take advantage of available ammo---its obvious that its a quality gun and I would dare say higher quality than Glock but it still leaves me with that "meh" feeling and will/would have no problem trading it off when something comes along that catches my interest.

I run the large grip insert because the med and small inserts leave the nose pointing up when I grip the pistol. The large feels the most natural even if is a little well, large in the hand.

I much prefer my P95's---I know crazy isn't it. I can close my eyes and the P95 points clean on to the target----it feels that natural to me.
-------Metallica

Last edited by Omaha-BeenGlockin; November 23, 2013 at 05:41 PM.