The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 6, 2013, 07:08 PM   #51
Malamute

Wow.

So, if we go from "I'm reasonable and only carry a handgun" to "I choose to carry something more than a handgun", then those that choose more than a handgun now are carrying their rifles slung over their shoulder, making a spectacle of themselves somehow, and all the way to this one
Quote:
Twin ammo bandoliers and an M240B would deter crime, but at that point you're not living your life anymore.
Good grief.

A Winchester model 12 breaks down into a compact package for travel. If the barrel is cut to 18"- 20", the entire thing broken down is no more than 20" (length of the butt stock and receiver). They put together in a few seconds, hold 6 rds, and don't arouse much attention for the most part if seen assembled. I'm not a big shotgun fan, but find them handy for travel. The case I had made for it is pretty ordinary looking. It pretty well disappears when laid on top of my black overnight duffel.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old December 6, 2013, 08:23 PM   #52
MTT TL

Quote:
then those that choose more than a handgun now are carrying their rifles slung over their shoulder, making a spectacle of themselves somehow,
How would I be making a spectacle of myself checking into a hotel with a rifle on my shoulder? You really should talk to some hotel clerks for some good stories. They can tell you some stories I am sure. Something tells me you don't travel much.
Old December 6, 2013, 08:51 PM   #53
Malamute

I think you missed my point. From some of the comments, it appears that some that don't believe in taking anything more than a pistol are exaggerating the other viewpoint and attempting to portray anyone with a different perspective as extreme.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; December 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old December 7, 2013, 09:36 AM   #54
MTT TL

I did not understand. Shift comments as applicable.
Old December 7, 2013, 10:33 AM   #55
Dwight55

Sometimes you gotta think outside the box, . . .

Or look at history, . . .

Remember the Chicago Tommy guns in the violin cases?

Consider this the 2013 version,..........

May God bless,
Dwight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new gun case.jpg (110.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg new gun case 2.jpg (110.7 KB, 43 views)
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 7, 2013, 10:48 AM   #56
seeker_two

Your usual CCW will suffice for a hotel stay. Bring a few extra mags/speedloaders in your luggage and call it good.

If you think you need something with longer range & more power, I'd recommend a long-barreled magnum revolver: .357, .44, or .454. It gives you the range you'll need without being too large and conspicuous. Feel free to scope it. Use a good, lockable pistol safe secured to your vehicle.

Sometimes, when I feel like I need a second gun, I'll pack my .357 Blackhawk 6.5" in the truck. I can hit a goblin-sized target at 100yds. if I need to.
Old December 7, 2013, 11:29 PM   #57
Colorado Redneck

Since we travle some I googled Motel Room Forced Entry

http://www.crimedoctor.com/hotelinvasion.htm

Didn't find any stat's but this is an interesting read. My other half and I have both read it and agree with most of what the author says. We do carry a revolver in the car, and take it with us into the motel rooms. A bit of preparation and keeping your head if something does start to go wrong is paramount to your personal safety. We would only use the gun in our room in the event that our door was breached. At that point it will be a free for all.

We also read reviews of the facilities before we book rooms. And we write reviews of our stay too. Staying in a flea bag place isn't my idea of a good deal. The few bucks extra to feel secure is well worth it.

This has been an interesting thread. Thanks to the OP.
Old December 8, 2013, 01:52 AM   #58
peacefulgary

Quote:
My CCW, of course, but I’d also like to take along a more substantial defense weapon for the car and the hotel room. Obviously, ease of deployment/use are more important than long-range accuracy, but not sure what else would be important.

Among the contestants (I will be running a paired-comparison decision process):

Rossi SxS 20 ga. coach gun

Mossberg 510 mini-20

Winchester 94 in .44magnum

Marlin 94 in .357 magnum

Ruger Mini-14

SKS
You're on an excursion...

Where are your long guns when you stop to refuel?

Where are your long guns when you stop to eat and use the facilities?

Where are your long guns when you attend an event where you cannot bring them?

Where are your long guns when you are "seeing the sites"?

The fact is this:
If your weapon is not on your side, and is in your vehicle or your hotel room or the hotel safe, then it is not secured.
And it is doing you no good whatsoever.

Don't waste your time bringing a long gun with you on a trip unless it is a hunting trip.
Old December 8, 2013, 09:50 AM   #59
MTT TL

That is not really a good argument peacefulguy. A lot of people keep long guns in the trunk of their car every day JIC.
Old December 8, 2013, 11:14 AM   #60
Malamute

I don't agree with peacefulgary's opinion either.

True, at those moments he mentions it isn't useful, but that hardly means it isn't useful to have along. The time besides those mentioned, it's available, which is far preferable to it being hundreds of miles away (or even across town). Same reasoning as to why I always have a rifle in the truck, not just when travelling. Bad things don't always happen when you're at home, so whatever whiz bang hardware you may own, is profoundly useless if it isn't available when needed.

Arms can be secured to varying degrees in a vehicle. Use your imagination and google skills. A bike cable and lock run around a seat frame and locked to the gun is one simple way. Gun lockers or safes designed for vehicles also are available. A large dog in the vehicle also seems to discourage people hanging around and getting too curious.
Old December 8, 2013, 12:42 PM   #61
saltydog452

Plastic keys for the room...

have made in room safety a safer bet. Biggest threat would seem to be getting from the parking lot to the registration desk and then to your room. I don't see how,with luggage, kids, and such from the car into the room, a cut down shoulder arm could be anything but a nusiance.

Used to be it wasn't uncommon to nap while laying on the floor with your feet against the door. That was another life.

sd.
Old December 8, 2013, 11:42 PM   #62
TenRing

Interesting thread. When I travel, I always take two Master Lock security bars to the hotel. These are a great investment in security. Just block the door and rest a little easier. Any invader will make a lot of noise and commotion before getting in, giving me plenty of time to grab my gun. I like to ask for a room on at least the third floor to minimize the threat of entry through a window. Of course, choosing a well reviewed hotel can minimize problems.

As far as weapons, my CC pistol stays with me whenever legal and at least two mags are nearby. I also tend to carry two boxes of ammo locked in a car safe. I only carry a long gun when going hunting or camping. Then, it's usually a 12 gauge shotgun or a pistol caliber rifle. If I'm going away for a week or more, I will break down my Mossberg 500, wrap it in towels and store it in a small case similarly to Malamute.

I don't trust hotel staff and I would rather conceal and lock the shotgun in my truck rather than trust hotel staff to leave it alone. When I leave the hotel for the day, all of my valuables leave with me. Car theft can be a problem, but I have ways of making my vehicle unattractive to thieves.

If I had to pick from the OP's list, it would be the coach gun or Mossberg 510. I have learned that it is best to travel light whenever possible.
Old December 9, 2013, 01:19 AM   #63
James K
Staff

Motel/hotel + gun = very dangerous ground. Be careful; you can't trust anyone.

Jim
Old December 9, 2013, 02:41 AM   #64
Tejicano

I wish somebody here could lend me their crystal ball so I could read the future to know just how well armed whoever it will be breaking down my hotel door. Oh, the date and time would also be good to know.

The places I usually stay charge $150 to $200 a night and I research to know the neighborhood as well as possible - and I still see questionable things happening in the parking lot.

So until I know in advance just what I will be up against (never going to happen) I will arm as well as possible for the worst I can reasonably expect. If I outgun them where's the harm in that? Quite possibly it would mean that there is no longer a profit in it for them and they will retreat without an issue.
Old December 9, 2013, 03:00 AM   #65
LockedBreech

On the Road: Best car/hotel SD weapon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejicano View Post
I wish somebody here could lend me their crystal ball so I could read the future to know just how well armed whoever it will be breaking down my hotel door. Oh, the date and time would also be good to know.

The places I usually stay charge $150 to $200 a night and I research to know the neighborhood as well as possible - and I still see questionable things happening in the parking lot.

So until I know in advance just what I will be up against (never going to happen) I will arm as well as possible for the worst I can reasonably expect. If I outgun them where's the harm in that? Quite possibly it would mean that there is no longer a profit in it for them and they will retreat without an issue.

Who says if you bring an AR-15 the people breaking in don't have 3 AK-47s, Level IIIA body armor, and a grenade? You'll never, ever be 100% protected. Not ever. It's best to strike a balance between total helpless obliviousness and living life overthinking very unlikely threats. A service-caliber pistol strikes that balance nicely. It is likely to stop almost any threat but is also very easy to transport and conceal.

Put another way, I wonder how many folks packing long guns into Holiday Inn get their recommend daily allowances of vegetables and whole grains, because a bad diet is way, way more statistically likely to kill a man than hotel marauders.
Old December 9, 2013, 08:24 AM   #66
MTT TL

Quote:
Who says if you bring an AR-15 the people breaking in don't have 3 AK-47s, Level IIIA body armor, and a grenade? You'll never, ever be 100% protected. Not ever. It's best to strike a balance between total helpless obliviousness and living life overthinking very unlikely threats. A service-caliber pistol strikes that balance nicely. It is likely to stop almost any threat but is also very easy to transport and conceal.
That is fine if it works for you. I note that IIIa armor won't stop most AR-15 rounds anyway but; it will stop nearly all service pistol rounds.

You may be under thinking it though. There could be other reasons for taking a long gun on an overnight trip. Leaving it in your car in the hotel parking lot would be a very bad idea. Having it sitting in a box on the floor unready when you suddenly, really, really want it seems foolish.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:12 AM   #67
peacefulgary

Quote:
That is not really a good argument peacefulguy. A lot of people keep long guns in the trunk of their car every day JIC.
Yes, they do. And lots of trunks get broken in to every day, and lots of guns get stolen every day.

Quote:
Arms can be secured to varying degrees in a vehicle. Use your imagination and google skills. A bike cable and lock run around a seat frame and locked to the gun is one simple way. Gun lockers or safes designed for vehicles also are available.
These securing methods are extremely easily defeated. They really only offer a false sense of security.
Believe me, I learned this first hand when my truck was broken in to and my stuff was stolen.

Quote:
A large dog in the vehicle also seems to discourage people hanging around and getting too curious.
Yeah, I love dogs, but traveling with pets can be a real PITA. It limits where you can stay, you can't leave them in the vehicle if it's too hot or too cold, you have to walk them so they can relieve themselves, you can't leave them unattended for long periods of time, someone might kill or steal your dog....

Keeping long guns in the vehicle while your traveling is just not a wise thing to do.

I've learned that it's best to not leave anything of value in your vehicle.
I don't even lock my truck because (1) there's nothing to steal, and (2) a broken window cost about $300.00 bucks to fix.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:16 AM   #68
MTT TL

Quote:
Yes, they do. And lots of trunks get broken in to every day, and lots of guns get stolen every day.
They get stolen at home and in gun shops too. Are you saying we should not have those either? There is no such evidence that says a long gun in your trunk is more at risk than one in your home.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:21 AM   #69
peacefulgary

Quote:
They get stolen at home and in gun shops too. Are you saying we should not have those either? There is no such evidence that says a long gun in your trunk is more at risk than one in your home.
Yeah, your home is not immune from thieves either.
But gun safes are much harder to defeat than a car's trunk.
And they are heavy and harder to transport than a car safe.
And if you don't use a gun safe in your home then you are really making it too easy for thieves to steal firearms.
Old December 9, 2013, 12:34 PM   #70
Malamute

Quote:
I've learned that it's best to not leave anything of value in your vehicle.I don't even lock my truck because (1) there's nothing to steal, and (2) a broken window cost about $300.00 bucks to fix.

I think its safe to say that you've learned that its best for you not to leave anything of value in your vehicle. I'm sorry you've had things stolen, and sorry you're defeated by it (your entire post two back speaks of your being defeated in a number of aspects, not a attack, but an observation of your perspective of the situation). I've had things stolen also, but am not defeated by it. I'll continue to carry long guns and other valuables when I travel, and continue to do things I believe will reduce the odds that I'll have a problem when doing so. Having my guns (plural) is part of the solution, not part of the problem. My dogs go where I go, and my guns go where I go. There's no question on either of those points for me, so I just deal with it and go on with life.

Best of luck.
Old December 9, 2013, 02:39 PM   #71
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
I think its safe to say that you've learned that its best for you not to leave anything of value in your vehicle. I'm sorry you've had things stolen, and sorry you're defeated by it (your entire post two back speaks of your being defeated in a number of aspects, not a attack, but an observation of your perspective of the situation). I've had things stolen also, but am not defeated by it. I'll continue to carry long guns and other valuables when I travel, and continue to do things I believe will reduce the odds that I'll have a problem when doing so. Having my guns (plural) is part of the solution, not part of the problem. My dogs go where I go, and my guns go where I go. There's no question on either of those points for me, so I just deal with it and go on with life.

Best of luck.

How is learning a lesson from a life experience being defeated? If he leaves a car unlocked and it gets stolen, and he locks it from there on, he wasn't defeated by a robber, he learned from an experience.

You don't necessarily need to live your life the same way he does, but altering behavior patterns based on experience is a main hallmark of an intelligent species.

Last edited by LockedBreech; December 9, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old December 9, 2013, 06:55 PM   #72
Tejicano

Quote:
Who says if you bring an AR-15 the people breaking in don't have 3 AK-47s, Level IIIA body armor, and a grenade?
Well, I have read about home invasions and a few similar crimes but in none of those was a grenade used so I won't worry about that.

However, I don't imagine any home invasion type crime has been committed with anything less than a handgun or two. If I am planning to be armed for 90% of what I have read about why would I choose to arm myself to just the same minimum level to be expected? THAT doesn't make sense. A proper defense has to be more powerful than the anticipated attack - this is a fundamental concept.

If I was starting from zero; owned no guns, had no training, had no experience facing armed opponents nor any idea how criminals operate that would be a different discussion. I am already well past all that and have numerous compact rifles and shotguns to choose from.

I am not arguing that my choice is the best for everybody or even for any person in particular. I am just stating what my choice is and why.
Old December 9, 2013, 07:06 PM   #73
Malamute

Quote:
Originally posted by LockedBreech How is learning a lesson from a life experience being defeated? If he leaves a car unlocked and it gets stolen, and he locks it from there on, he wasn't defeated by a robber, he learned from an experience.

You don't necessarily need to live your life the same way he does, but altering behavior patterns based on experience is a main hallmark of an intelligent species.

I agree with your second paragraph.

Regarding the first paragraph, I believe he said the opposite of what you said, that he stopped locking his vehicle, since the window will only get broken out, and not to ever have anything of value in a vehicle, since it will only get stolen. It sounded like he gave up on keeping anything safe in his vehicle, and felt that was the lesson others should take from it, as it was offered as advice in this thread on the question of having another gun along when travelling.

Same basic ideas on securing anything in a vehicle from the earlier posts, the feeling I got from his posts was it was basically hopeless to keep anything in a vehicle, even cable locked, or secured, even with a dog in the vehicle. OK, that was his lesson from his experiences, I get that, it just isn't mine, I've had things stolen from a vehicle also. I wont give up on having my personal effects with me when I travel, and do the best I can to keep them safe.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:53 PM   #74
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Best of luck.

Given the number of people who have bad things stolen from vehicles, and given your own experience, I can't help but feel that your post is loaded with failure. When your irresponsibility results in criminals obtaining weapons, your communities lose. If you have guns in your vehicle, I hope they are secured by more than locked doors and closed windows.
Old December 10, 2013, 12:21 PM   #75
peacefulgary

Quote:
It sounded like he gave up on keeping anything safe in his vehicle, and felt that was the lesson others should take from it, as it was offered as advice in this thread on the question of having another gun along when travelling.

Same basic ideas on securing anything in a vehicle from the earlier posts, the feeling I got from his posts was it was basically hopeless to keep anything in a vehicle, even cable locked, or secured, even with a dog in the vehicle. OK, that was his lesson from his experiences, I get that, it just isn't mine, I've had things stolen from a vehicle also. I wont give up on having my personal effects with me when I travel, and do the best I can to keep them safe.
Yes, it is basically hopeless to keep things secure in your vehicle.

Glass windows do not stop thieves.

A thin metal cable is a joke that is defeated with just a snip of a bolt cutter.

Your dog will only deter kids, not determined thieves who will spray your dog with pepper-spray or oven cleaner, or feed them poisoned food.

What you have is a false sense of security.

Nothing you leave in your vehicle is safe or secure.

You admit that you have had things stolen from your vehicle in the past, yet you still leave firearms in your unattended vehicle.
This is very irresponsible in my opinion.
Why make it easier for thieves to get firearms?