The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 21, 2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Judgment

help identify single shot 12g

Looking for some info on this one. 12ga single shot 32in barrel. Has the word Geronimo engraved on the side of stock & 42 by the trigger guard.

Thanks, Jason

Old November 21, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Ruger480

My guess is its an Iver Johnson. I have one 20 that looks very similar to that. Sorry I can't help more than that.
Old November 21, 2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Judgment

I appreciate it. I can't seem to find anything about it. Thought i would with the vast amount of information out there!
Old November 22, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Guns like that were made in the tens of thousands, for sale by chain stores, hardware stores, dry goods stores, etc. Most did not have any maker's name on them. Possibly dozens of gun makers produced guns like that from the late 1800s through the start of WWII.

Most will have a "brand" name or store name, and very little else. A single barrel field gun is the bottom of the list, cost wise, and very little collector interest has not led to published volumes of information, like it has with the more expensive, popular collectable guns of the era.

I have an Iver Johnson 12ga (which has the IJ OWL logo, that's how I identified it as an Iver Johnson). It does NOT have the "key" recessed in the side of the receiver like your shotgun does.

The 32" barrel is longer than standard (30") which might have been intended as a goose gun (34" from some makers) or just might have been that maker's choice.

Sorry I can't help more than that.
Old November 23, 2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Two Old Dogs

The shotgun is made either by W.H. Davenport Firearms Company and produced between August,1900 (take down key on the right side of the frame patented August 14, 1900) and July 1, 1901 (W.H. davenport Firearms Company was purchased by Hopkins and Allen Arms Company) or by Hopkins and Allen who continued producing the Davenport line until July, 1909.