The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 29, 2013, 04:05 AM   #26
Upper5Percent

View through a 4x rifle scope.

Secret operations are essential in war; upon them the army relies to make its every move. Sun Tzu
Old November 29, 2013, 06:54 AM   #27
B.L.E.

The fact that the scope is about 1.5 inches above the bore has to be taken into account when making head shots on squirrels or other small game at close range. If you're 10 feet away and you put the crosshairs right on the squirrel's head, that bullet is going to hit about 1 inch below the crosshairs and you'll probably miss, and so will the second, and third shot while you go if you don't take this into account.
Also, people have shot their chronographs because they didn't take this into account.
Old November 29, 2013, 10:53 AM   #28
mwal

I hunt in some dense areas. Most of my deer kills are at 7 to 30 yards. I have switched from a scoped rifle to a 30/30 with XS Ghost ring with a white blade front site. I can see it in all light conditions and it is quicker than any scope I have used. Otherwise My old farvourite woods scope was a old Redfield 1 3/4 to 5 it never left 1/34 magnification. Unless 150 yard plus shot. The most important thing IMHO is to practice freehand shooting. Start with the gun down and quickly mount gun and fire as if in a situation with live moving game. Shooting from bench is better than not shooting but try to become a rifleman. Shot your weapon from the stance and positions that you use while you hunt if at all possible. If you hunt from a stool in a blind without a rest bring a stool to the range and do not use a rest. I know some very fine close range shooters with 4 to 12 scopes the thing they have in common is lots of practice quickly mounting gun acquiring target. There is no right or wrong only what works for you. Have fun practicing whatever sight or scope you choose and report back. If you have access to a gun club perhaps other member would let you look through there scopes or iron and peep sights. At my club I have great members and was able to test drive a peep sight set up before purchasing.

Mwal
Old November 29, 2013, 12:33 PM   #29
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Killkenny
The right scope is ALWAYS better than iron sights. Near/far, fast/slow, makes no difference. They are better. But you have to have the right scope.
Nonsense. A scope doesn't help you shoot, it helps you see.
Old November 29, 2013, 12:58 PM   #30
B.L.E.

Quote:
The right scope is ALWAYS better than iron sights. Near/far, fast/slow, makes no difference. They are better. But you have to have the right scope. If your question is "how close is too close for a 3-9x" then that can answered. Even today I ran into a too close situation, not the first time either. With a 3-9x a running critter at 5 yards is tough. At 20 yards it's s chip shot. Unless you are gonna be having deer run in front of you at 20 yards or under then your 3-9x is fine. Personally I'd look hard at a 2-7x. Great for close, plenty of magnification for 300 yard deer.
That's why I always shoot behind the bird on skeet station four! My shotgun doesn't have a scope!
Maybe I need a laser.
Old November 29, 2013, 02:12 PM   #31
SteelChickenShooter

I'd go with post #3 and #14.
A scoped rifle (too much power) at close range performing poorly is what I saw first hand out in the woods this season. Guys sitting in the woods looking down a 200 yard shooting lane with the scope set on 20X. And suddenly a buck pops out of the pines 20 feet away. At that distance it's just grab, point & shoot. Can't even find a deer at that short range set on a power that high. If it comes to a fast point & shoot, no point in having the scope being in the way at all. But if it's sized right, like the suggest 1 to 4, that seems to be more reasonable. One guy is really just bent on mag power. And I explain to him that's just fine for the gun club but not in the woods. As a matter of fact I've got a rifle and shotgun without scopes. I may just take some of that earlier advice myself and get something like the 1-4 power shotgun scope.

Last edited by SteelChickenShooter; November 29, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old November 29, 2013, 02:30 PM   #32
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I was really wishing I'd had irons on my 760 .358 Win. a couple of weeks ago . I had a nice buck chase a doe out of the really thick stuff right in front of me . Like 10 Ft. in front of me . Nothing in the scope but hair , no shot . That's the only buck I've seen this season , so far , still have 2 days of rifle , and 9 days of Muzzleloader left .
Old November 29, 2013, 03:03 PM   #33
B.L.E.

For those close in shots that have to be taken fast, I think I could make a good case for the shotgun style ventilated rib and front bead, and practice a lot concentrating on a good gun mount and having both eyes open.
Old November 29, 2013, 03:46 PM   #34
Boomer58cal

Quote:
both eyes open.
B.L.E. For the win!

I think any shot inside 25 yards should be taken with both eyes open. Maybe that's just the way I was taught.

Too eyes is better than one.

Boomer
Old November 29, 2013, 04:47 PM   #35
mwal

Ghost ring peep just put gun on shoulder with both eyes open put front sight on target pull trigger. Very fast and natural. That is why combat rifle use ghost ring peeps. Close range fast shooting they excel

Mwal
Old November 30, 2013, 06:46 AM   #36
dean1818

I used to be in the 3x9 camp, and still have one on my Yugo /Mauser because of the very long range the 8mm can get to

I have a Bison Armory 6.8 and it sits with a Leupold VXR 1x4

I absolutely love the set up, and it will get me to 300 at 4x
(My max range hunting anyway)

The gun stays at 1x most of the time

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old November 30, 2013, 12:50 PM   #37
Major Dave (retired)

My rifle for close cover hunting

wears a Leopold 1.75-6X 32mm Vari-X III scope.

When still hunting in the East Texas Piney Woods (thick stuff, with some openings), I keep it dialed down to 1.75X. The result is:

1. wide field of view
2. Sharp focus at close range
3. maximum light gathering, for early/late shooting

Works for me

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); November 30, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old November 30, 2013, 01:43 PM   #38
Tom Matiska

Plus on #6 and #7... most important quality in a "brush" gun is the ability to miss the brush. For low light and dense woods a good scope beats the naked eyeball.

Best scope in my inventory is a 4X Widefield with 35.9 ft FOV that works at point blank range. It is a crying shame the best fixed power still on the market is Bushnell's 4X Banner at 32 ft. I would love to spend more on a quality 4X, but darned if I'll spend hundreds to look through a 23ft peep hole. Only good way to get wide FOV in a quality scope is to crank down a low power variable.
Old November 30, 2013, 06:01 PM   #39
L_Killkenny

Re: Scopes at short range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
Nonsense. A scope doesn't help you shoot, it helps you see.
Technically you are right. The main advantage of a scope is putting everything on ONE focal plain. Opens have 3 things the eye want to focus on, peep sights 2. And it's no harder to shoot both eyes open with a scope than the other options, easier actually with the right set up. BUT you can't shoot what you can't see and optics win 100% of the time.

BTW, rarely do the top military's rely on a ghost/peep for their main sight anymore. They use optics even for across the room fighting.

Last edited by Tom Servo; December 2, 2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Removed snark
Old November 30, 2013, 06:32 PM   #40
40-82

Close is different. I can make a low power low mounted scope work. I like a wide open aperture better, but the best combination for me is a Winchester lever or single shot with that narrow pre-war forend and open sights, points like a shotgun. Once in a while I virtually step right on top of something and instinct takes over, and I make shots on moving game that I didn't believe possible. I am a dead ordinary shooter. It's the rifle that does the job.
Old November 30, 2013, 06:58 PM   #41
Chuck Dye

Do a thorough search on the scout rifle concept and the scopes that go with it.

My one experience with a low power, long or extended eye relief, scope on a rifle was on a group rabbit hunt in western Utah. In a large group of hunters with more rifles than hunters, there was a great deal of gun swapping. We saw a few (very few) cottontails, mostly jack rabbits (jacks, once flushed, are running for distance, zigzagging all the way.) The unquestionable darling of the hunt, despite the presence of the likes of Anschutz sporters and even a Winchester Model 52, was a Ruger 10/22 with a 2x pistol scope in a kludge mount forward of the action. Getting up and on target on a jack with that combo was more like shotgunning than rifle work. A low range EER variable, if you can find a satisfactory mount, should do the trick.
Old December 1, 2013, 07:22 PM   #42
SteelChickenShooter

Post #33 Response

I'd like to raise an issue related to what that post says.
I know a guy that seems to prefer high power rifles and high power scopes. However, I can say that he has been in situations where deer presented themselves at 20 feet, 30 feet and 80 feet in the woods. Clearly shotgun range and fast point shooting as well. Don't have the time it takes to focus on a reticle and find the deer in the optics. Don't have the distance or the need for the optics. Don't have the need for the rifle either. Seems to me the guy I know should carry an iron sighted 30-30 or 12ga slug gun instead.
Old December 1, 2013, 09:33 PM   #43
L_Killkenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelChickenShooter View Post
I'd like to raise an issue related to what that post says.
I know a guy that seems to prefer high power rifles and high power scopes. However, I can say that he has been in situations where deer presented themselves at 20 feet, 30 feet and 80 feet in the woods. Clearly shotgun range and fast point shooting as well. Don't have the time it takes to focus on a reticle and find the deer in the optics. Don't have the distance or the need for the optics. Don't have the need for the rifle either. Seems to me the guy I know should carry an iron sighted 30-30 or 12ga slug gun instead.
I know a guy this..... Seems to me that......

You're fairly knew and that's all right. But you know not what you speak. With the right scope set up there is no focusing, there is no finding the deer in the optics. They are just there. Go back and reread. Magnification is not the advantage to fast and accurate shooting. Too much is in fact a bad thing. But the right scope is always faster. If it wasn't you wouldn't see the unlimited race/competition shooters using them and neither would I.
Old December 1, 2013, 10:14 PM   #44
L_Killkenny

Picture is worth a thousand words.... Don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Opening day 2013. All killed with scoped 10/22's. Most at a run, ranges of 5 feet to 30 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1385953888771.jpg (170.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by L_Killkenny; December 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM.