The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Pahoo

Watch those "Horns"

I teach and promote "all" muzzleloaders but personally the SideLocks and vintage stuff really touch my heart. I have a room dedicated to this "Vintage" stuff. Three years ago, I bought out a very nice collection of Powder-Horns and during negotiations, I shook them and sure enough, they were full of BP. I commented to the seller, how dangerous this could be and she was glad to sell them as well as give me a 15LB. keg full of BP, out in her garage. I don't shoot BP but found a willing home for it. ....

Yesterday, I bought a collection of horns and flasks from a fella whose father use to shoot. He had them in a box and I noticed some black granules. You guessed it, "some" of the horns and flasks, were loaded with BP. All together, I salvaged just short of a can of what I would say, was FFG. It's easy to tell the smell of burned BP as well as new stuff. I had almost forgotten what fresh BP, smelled like. .....

New BP Safety rule;
All horns and flasks, are loaded.

Watchem and ;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 14, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old November 14, 2013, 09:38 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Not too long ago, I purchased an small antique pistol horn with a flask top on it from an individual on-line. It's a neat horn flask . . . but . . . imagine my surprise when I picked up the package at the post office, got it home and then discovered it was full of old 3F. I contacted the seller right away, let them know that it arrived OK and then gently reminded them that there are some rules about shipping hazardous materials . . . . .

And then I well remember many years ago visiting a friend that I hadn't seen for years at his home that he had built the year before. He had a nice fire going in the fireplace . . it was cold out and he had it all nice and warm on the inside. He showed me their new home and then when we sat back down in the living room . . I asked him about the Ohio syle rifle hanging over the fireplace and the powder horn with it. Both had been passed down in his family. He took the rifle down so I could look it over and when I passed it back to him . . . he handed me the horn to look at. As soon as I had it in my hand, I knew it was about half full. I suggested that he may want to empty it out and get rid of the powder before he hung it over his fireplace . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 15, 2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Hung over a fireplace of all things. WOW!! You sure did him a favor. No doubt about that.
Old November 16, 2013, 08:23 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

From the concept of Horn of Plenty to horns of plenty o' blackpowder. Well done.