The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 12, 2013, 04:13 PM   #26
mukibetser

My Sig 1911 Tacops Traditional has been 100% through 500 rounds, came loaded with night sights, extended magwell, 5 mags and a hoslter for around $800 and other features. I couldn't be happier.
Old November 13, 2013, 12:54 PM   #27
WIN1886

Quote:
That has to tell you something right ?

I dunno....however , I'm glad I work for a company that takes pride in what they are producing ! Anyway , I have friends that have had trouble with other well known or respected makers of 1911's ! Whether it is feeding problems , quality of fit & finish , extraction , or others it happens ! The other day I picked up a new C*** that rattled so much it would signal your location and the collet bushing was not even or flush in front ! You can only go by your own true experiences or learn from others and try to sort it out !
Old November 13, 2013, 03:37 PM   #28
thedudeabides

Quote:
I dunno....however , I'm glad I work for a company that takes pride in what they are producing ! Anyway , I have friends that have had trouble with other well known or respected makers of 1911's ! Whether it is feeding problems , quality of fit & finish , extraction , or others it happens ! The other day I picked up a new C*** that rattled so much it would signal your location and the collet bushing was not even or flush in front ! You can only go by your own true experiences or learn from others and try to sort it out !
I wasn't aware that any 1911s have been made with Collet bushings since Colt discontinued them in the early 80s.
Old November 13, 2013, 04:19 PM   #29
Technosavant

I have two Sig 1911s. One is the micro-compact Ultra model and the other is the full size railed model.

Both are excellent guns. You won't find that same feature set without spending a significant amount more. While they may not feel quite as nice as my Springfield Armory Loaded, they do feel every bit as good as the S&W 1911 I had. The only hiccup I've found with them is the little Ultra can be finicky regarding magazines- something not unknown with 1911s in general and especially with the subcompact ones.

IMO, I'd spend a bit more for a Sig than I might pay for the budget level 1911s but I'd not be able to get more than Sig offers without spending probably half again as much. I'm a fan.
Old November 13, 2013, 05:14 PM   #30
WIN1886

Quote:
I wasn't aware that any 1911s have been made with Collet bushings since Colt discontinued them in the early 80s.

Nor was I until you corrected me ! Barrel bushing.....I've owned a Sig 1911 for a few months ! I do know that from general inspection it beat the other **** I looked at in spades ! 200 rounds of factory second 230 FMJ ammo fed through it without any problems ! The recoil spring seems a bit weak compared to my P220 and 4506 but it runs fine so far !
Old November 13, 2013, 08:08 PM   #31
X_shooter

I love my tacops. I would buy another if the right price comes along.
Old November 13, 2013, 10:28 PM   #32
k511

I've had great luck with my SIG 1911's...I currently have a STX, XO, and a Nightmare...all have ran flawless sense round one. I've had the STX which is very similar to the TTT for about a year now with around 1K rounds fired, its one of my favorite bands to shoot, I shoot it better than my Springfield RO...great triggers right out of the box aswell
Old November 14, 2013, 06:36 PM   #33
Nick_C_S

k511 - yes, the trigger impressed me on the one I looked at. Really crisp. Maybe too light - or at least, some "getting use to" will be in order.
Old November 16, 2013, 12:12 PM   #34
rodfac

NIck, I've only shot three Sig .45's, all were the RCS model...and all performed flawlessly. Accuracy was as good as my Colts with a lot of $ spent over the years in triggers, Wilson barrel/bushings etc. My hand loads through the three would easily do 2" at 25 yds from a sitting position, ie, not off bags.

My friend's and son #2's came with two 7 round mags furnished, and they'll take an 8 rounder if you want the add'l round for CCW purposes. That model is also furnished with Sig's version of tritium night sights...an almost essential sighting arrangement for real CCW use, IMHO.

That particular model, the RCS, has an "Officer's Model" grip length, but with a "Commander" length barrel. A set-up I was prepared to dislike...I was wrong. It works just fine and at 26 oz, with that shorter grip, it's about the perfect carry 1911 in my opinion. The longer barrel gets away from the sub-4" reliability problems so often talked about. Too, you get that slightly longer inter-sight distance that spells accuracy.

With a finely checkered front strap, and the same on the mainspring housing, it's easy to hang on to the thing even with full house +P 230 grainers. Fit and finish were superb, ... guess I'm sounding like some sort of Sig commercial here, but honest to gosh, the three I shot were great. My idea of what a carry .45 ACP should be. I've owned a bunch of 1911's over the last 50 years, but those Sig RCS's impressed me more than any I can remember. I'm tempted to sell off one of my Colts to pick up a Sig. And Padnuh, I just don't sell guns, so this is one heck of an endorsement for me.

Here's a pic of a friend's Sig RCS, an elegant pistol for sure, and it shoots as good as it looks...locally, they're going for about $900.

Best Regards, and post a range report if you buy one. Rod

Last edited by rodfac; November 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old November 18, 2013, 09:11 PM   #35
PatientWolf

Love mine. It is accurate; it feeds and ejects every type of ammo I have fed it. Works well with my Sig, Colt, Shooting Star and gov't surplus mags. The only issue I've had is a failure to lock open some cheap 10-rd mags I have with plastic followers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (184.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by PatientWolf; November 19, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old November 20, 2013, 10:37 PM   #36
SVTCobra306

I have a Nightmare, I like it. Would trade it for a Tacops though..

I had to spend a little time nailing down an OAL that it likes to feed for my handloads, but that's it. Zero issues with factory ammo, it is accurate right out of the box with no adjustments.
Old November 21, 2013, 01:58 AM   #37
Safestuffer

I bought a nitron railed tacpac last year for a great price, and was impressed with the fit and finish, but the thing won't run. It has a tight chamber and like others have experienced, has constant problems with failing to go into battery. Its going back and sig has so far been excellent about it. However, my experience is not an isolated event, as even online gun reviews with these guns have noted reliability issues. To those that have reliable sig 1911's, I'm jealous but sig has problems with these guns.
Old November 21, 2013, 05:47 PM   #38
jrkrace

I have had a Sig 226 for 20 years and the gun runs flawlessly. I bought a P220 last year and it was a ****. Back to the factory twice for a sticky slide and a slide release issue. I rolled the dice and traded it off for a Sig 1911 with a rail and the gun has been flawless and accurate for the last 300 rounds. Shoots as well as my Colt Combat Elite and gets better with each box shoved down it's throat..

Your mileage may vary.....
Old November 21, 2013, 07:35 PM   #39
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
I don't think Caspian cares. However, **I** care, because SIG pretty much tried to savage Caspian's reputation, when in fact the problems were all due to SIG. Caspian was selling the left-over slides and frames from the SIG first generation contract for some time after SIG cancelled the contract. Caspian sold the frame and slide as a set -- and I have not heard of a single person who bought one who had any problems building a fully-functional 1911 using those components.

The fact that SIG's second generation (non-Caspian) 1911s weren't much better than the first generation pretty well proves that the fault wasn't with Caspian.

SIG's problems with their early Commanders went far beyond slide mass.
I don't think I care what happened years ago. The current SIG 1911's run just fine. I have an RCS and it works as well as any of my other 1911's - that's what counts today.
Old November 22, 2013, 06:52 PM   #40
xanth

I've had quite a few 1911's, can't say I've put 1000's of rounds through my Sig C3, but i've done a bit more than 700, to include factory and reloads.

Never had an issue, it's my second favorite 1911, favorite being a Dan Wesson CCO.

In fact, the only 1911 (to include 2 Taurus models) i've had problems with was a Ed Brown Kobra Carry, didn't matter, ammo, magazines, whatever, it had problems. Sold it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sig 1911.
Old November 22, 2013, 07:02 PM   #41
Garycw

Sig 1911 Opinions Please

I recently got a Sig 1911 ultra compact. 3" barrel. I've heard that the short barrel model have had some problems in past. After a 200 rounds NO PROBLEM! Love it. Accurate and pleasantly surprised with the light recoil. I've never seen or shot a Sig I didn't like