20ga
300 whisper
45-70
50cal ML
17hmr

Doug
Old November 7, 2013, 07:51 PM   #27
jmr40

I'm moving in that direction. I could do everything I need to do with one of my bolt rifles. My pick if just one would be my 308's, but most anything from 243 up to any of the 300 mags would do depending on the game likely to be encountered along with personal preference.

The problem with actually getting down to 1 rifle is that I own 4-5 with too much sentimental value to part with. Even though they haven't been out of the safe in years.
Old November 7, 2013, 08:23 PM   #28
jmstr

I would HATE to have to.

that said, if the decision were today and I could sell the others, it would have to be a .308.

And, THAT said, I think I'd be deliberating for years between my Garand M1 in .308 and my Savage 99F in .308.

However, I use handguns for more shooting than rifles, so it wouldn't be AS sad as " which ONE centerfire handgun would you stick with if you had to?"
Old November 7, 2013, 09:20 PM   #29
dgludwig

Quote:
I like accurate rifles. Not accurate, not in my safe for long.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting": Colonel Townsend Whelen.
Old November 7, 2013, 09:40 PM   #30
Tejicano

In the US I have a safe jammed full of rifles. My intention is to have every model of every rifle I think I have an interest in so that when I retire I can weed my way through them without having to spend my retirement funds to find what I really want.

Living here in Japan I am slowly making my way through the process to getting a hunting license which means I will be restricted to shotgun only for the first ten years. Once I have passed the ten year mark I can start the process for a rifle - and will be a "one rifle" hunter at that point.

Having thought long (I mean really long) and hard about it I have decided what I want will be a Mauser action in 7mm '08 Rem. 22" medium weight barrel. Fancy walnut stock. I will be building it in the US and exporting it to a dealer here.

Lots of down-sides to hunting in Japan. The up-side? : No limits on deer. Hunt any day of the year and take as many as you want. Bucks, does, whatever. The country-side is infested with them since few people have any interest in either hunting or jumping through the hoops to be able to hunt.
Old November 7, 2013, 10:24 PM   #31
wpsdlrg

I've been a "one rifle" guy for many years. Certainly nothing wrong with having a whole arsenal (I used to have at least six, most of the time), but I have learned that ONE will do. Simpler to maintain, reload for, much easier to get good with, etc. Just simpler all 'round.

As for reliability, as mentioned by other(s).....no problem there. My one rifle is a Mauser....and you CAN'T get more reliable than that.
Old November 8, 2013, 01:12 PM   #32
Dirty_Harry

I like rifles, I have more than I need but less than I want.

I have a Gunsite Scout, and its sweet. But if I could only have one? My M1A hands down.

To me though, .308 is the perfect caliber.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 8, 2013, 05:57 PM   #33
hodaka

It would not be fun to have only one but if I had to do that it would be my AR in 6.8 SPC.
Old November 9, 2013, 03:10 AM   #34
Pond, James Pond

If we take a .22LR as a given then I am sticking to one CF rifle: my .308 CZ550.

Partly by choice and partly by decree.

I could buy another, but my gun cabinet's specs mean that, by law, I would need to buy a new, beefier cabinet were I to want a new gun. I am at my cabinet's capacity limit under current regulations.
That is the decree part.

I would therefore need to sell something else to make space and I am not prepared to do that.
That is the choice part.

Otherwise a semi auto rifle would be my choice: a CZ 858, or an AR platform of some kind.
Old November 9, 2013, 04:07 AM   #35
Geezerbiker

Up until about 26 years old I only had one .22 and it was a junker and a 7.7mm Arisaka rifle... Ammo for the Arisaka was expensive but I had 2 boxes of brass and a Lee loader. Then I got a good paying job and within 2 years, I had 5 more rifles. Now I'm up to around 30 and I'm not going back to one rifle until I'm too old to shoot them and then they will be passed out to my grandkids...

Tony
Old November 9, 2013, 11:52 AM   #36
dgludwig

Quote:
I could buy another, but my gun cabinet's specs mean that, by law, I would need to buy a new, beefier cabinet were I to want a new gun. I am at my cabinet's capacity limit under current regulations.
It seems obvious, then, that a new and bigger gun cabinet (safe?) should be on your near future shopping list.
Old November 9, 2013, 03:12 PM   #37
hbhobby

One rifle

I have one for deer way out there. One for deer up close. One for elk. One for behind the seat of the truck. one for the closet. one for the bedroom. one for the wife's car. one for the safe. one for fun. one for coyotes. I lots of one guns
Old November 9, 2013, 11:14 PM   #38
8MM Mauser

I currently only own one rifle: a sporterized Mauser built by my grandfather.
It has a lightweight laminate thumbhole stock so it's handy and easy to carry, it shoots a 1" rested group at 100 yards despite the bolt and receiver being about 110 years old, and is chamber in 8MM Mauser, which is enough gun to take anything in NA (it's similar in power to a 30-06.)

However, I have no doubt there will be more in my future. Gotta have an AR someday...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (245.3 KB, 31 views)

http://benjaminraber.hubpages.com/
Old November 9, 2013, 11:35 PM   #39
Cheapshooter

Bolts, and levers. Sdmi-autos and break opens. Milsurps and comercial sporters. Custom mauser target/varmenter, and a few evil black rifles.
Like I tell my wife, ever see a golfer with one club in his bag?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 9, 2013, 11:38 PM   #40
James K
Staff

I have known a number of people who had only one gun, a rifle; they hunted deer and that was it. No plinking, no target shooting, no self defense, no nothing. They might fire a couple of shots before deer season to "sight in" the rifle, and if they hit a pumpkin at 50 feet they told everyone how good a shot they were. A box of ammo might last five or six years, maybe more if they didn't spot a deer that year.

Jim
Old November 10, 2013, 03:16 AM   #41
NWPilgrim

Who subscribes to the 'one rifle' lifestyle?

I respect the concept of a one-gun man. My Dad was sort if like that although he was very good with anything he picked up.

However, I just enjoy guns too much to limit myself to one. AR15, Garand, Sako A7, Marlin1894, M1 Carbine, and after shooting a Mosin Nagant I now gave a hankering for one if those too.

If God meant for us to shoot just one gun he wouldn't have made so many fine firearms designers!
Old November 10, 2013, 07:28 AM   #42
8MM Mauser

If I was to have only one of any type of gun it would probably be a shotgun. I literally can't imagine buying more than a second shotgun. I have one 12GA and I can't fathom what I couldn't do with it. It shoots skeet and trap ok, I could hunt small game and birds with it, and anything on up to deer. It would be useful as a SD gun for home and I don't need to but I could use it for bears too.

I can see myself with 2 shotguns, 4-5 rifles, and 8-10 handguns. But I admit I could probably do everything I needed with 2 of each, not counting .22s.

What can I say: I'm a hobbyist.

http://benjaminraber.hubpages.com/
Old November 10, 2013, 08:14 AM   #43
Picher

In the beginning, there was a .30-06 and all was good. We practiced on targets, then woodchucks and crows and got pretty darned good with it, but there weren't many deer around, so we sold it and bought a .22-250 and life was good, and shot some deer with it.

Then, after missing a few good-sized bucks due to brush deflection, got another .30-06, but kept the .22-250 for targets, turkey shoots, and varmints, but it was hard to see misses on woodchucks in the grass like we could with the '06 and wind deflection over 200 yards was terrible.

I got a 6mm Remington Varmint and life was good, until I had to carry it several miles when hunting. It was deadly to varmints and was a killer to carry.

Moral of the story: Buy a .243 Win and use it for everything, until you get sick of having only one rifle/caliber and can afford another rifle.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:24 AM   #44
Tom Matiska

There was a long period when Uncle Sugar cramped my style with small dorms on base and temporary apartments off base. A Rem 788 in 308 with a budget 4X scope was it. I picked it because it was the the single cheapest gun in the store that was suitable for Mulies, and I thought the relationship would be short.

The outfit turned out to be a tack driver that embarrassed others with expensive outfits at the range. Two simple screws and the stock and 18" barreled action fit side by side in small places ... no need to check a rifle Uncle Sugar didn't know about into the armory. It was my one and only for 9 years.
Old November 10, 2013, 09:21 PM   #45
WWWJD

I don't know if I necessarily subscribe, but money and time being what it is, that's pretty much how it is. I bought my .308 over two years ago now, and when I did, I did it knowing that I wanted to at least try to go all the way with it; hunt, target, reload. It has served its purpose with 4 whitetail and about a dozen coyotes under it's belt, while shooting golf balls at 300 yards during the summer.

I bought a .223 AR15 'varmint rig', but honestly, I think it's been out of the safe twice in the last 6 months. I enjoy shooting the .308 so much I could probably let the AR go. The only reason it was purchased in the first place was the thought that I could buy a carbine upper and have a kit of sorts; flat top heavy barrel scoped and some kind of piston or DI 16". Haven't gotten around to the second half of that equation yet.

NRA fo Life Member
Old November 11, 2013, 08:59 PM   #46
44 AMP
Staff

I subscribe firmly to the one rifle concept. I never carry more than one rifle at a time!
Old November 12, 2013, 10:35 AM   #47
dgludwig

What? You never heard of slings?
Old November 12, 2013, 04:17 PM   #48
Jay24bal

I believe in having one rifle for EACH purpose:

Short range target shooting (under 300 yards)
Long range target shooting (over 300 yards)
Small game/varmint hunting rifle
Large game hunting rifle
Carbine for defense
Rifle for sunny days
Rifle for days when I eat eggs for breakfast...you get the picture

While some rifles may be able to handle all these things relatively well, I prefer to have a rifle (or any tool for any application in life for that matter) that is best suited for the task at hand. I am not there yet as I am relatively young and money is not unlimited, but I do not ever see me having one non-22 rifle.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 12, 2013, 04:57 PM   #49
NWPilgrim

I was just thinking about this and my Grandpa.He was as much of a "one rifle" man as anyone I've known. His father-in-law gave him a Win 94 .30WCF for a wedding present (1916) as that is what he used for hunting for the next 40 years. In fact, he was a one cartridge per hunt guy, too. However, even he had an old 7mm Spanish Mauser stashed in the closet, and bought my dad a used Savage .30-06 for his 16th birthday ($35!). That was all during the Depression.

Rifles are like magnets, once you have one rifle it seems to attract others to your safe/closet/cabinet sooner or later. My dad hunted mostly with his .308 Rem 760. Somewhere along the line my brain diverted and I ended up with a bunch of rifles.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 15, 2013, 09:30 PM   #50
Axelwik

I only have two rifles... And four carbines.