The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2013, 12:38 AM   #1
reddnek

Hard cast and a glock?

So ive been perusing the internet reading about hardcast boolits and the oem glock barrels most guys say that they dont see much if any fouling in the barrels so i got a wild hair up my ass and i decided i think i wanna go do a small batch of hardcast for my 21. but im left with questions

what would be acceptable sizes for the glock barrels outside of .451? would .452 work ?

and am i right to assume that i need to dial back powder drops for hard cast or can i run it similar to copper?

if anybody does load hardcast can you give some tips?
Old November 5, 2013, 01:52 AM   #2
BigTex308

Re: Hard cast and a glock?

I would stick to FMJ or plated in factory Glock barrels.

IF you do decide to, then load them very light. But I'd strongly recomend not using lead.

That's just me tho

Ike
Old November 5, 2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Salmoneye

Back mid 90's, I fired a commercial 'remanufactured' ammo that went by the name 'Bullseye'...125gr LRN...Mixed headstamp...

Accurate and did not lead in a bone stock (black internals) Gen-2 G19...
Old November 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
totaldla

Shoot .452" hard cast and never give it another thought. The G21 digests cast bullets just fine. There are millions of Glock owners launching bazzillions of lead bullets every year. Usually the naysayers are forum experts who have no experience with the subject but feel obligated to regurgitate some old wives tale they read.
Old November 5, 2013, 10:21 AM   #5
myfriendis410

I understand that Glock had a disclaimer that if you shoot reloads you will void the warranty it got translated into cast bullets. I don't see any reason a cast lead bullet would not do just fine. Read the manual and if it gives you concern, don't do it.

As to load data; the .45 doesn't need hard cast, just moderate hardness. You can drive them at higher velocities and lower pressures than similar jacketed stuff.
Old November 5, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6
David Bachelder

All manufacturers of firearms void all warranties if reloaded ammo is used.

I have glock, smith and Wesson, ruger and browning. they all state that reloaded ammo will void warranty.
Old November 5, 2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Ruger45LC

I've shot some hardcast Missouri bullets through the stock 21 and 30 barrels with practically zero leading, so there will be no problems. You'll want .452".

Repent America!
Old November 5, 2013, 10:28 AM   #8
BigTex308

Re: Hard cast and a glock?

There are also hundreds of AR owners firing thousands of rounds of 5.56 down thier .223 barrels. But that doesn't mean it's right to. The whole "everybody else is doing it" mentality is kind of childish don't ya think?

Just saying.

Ike
Old November 5, 2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Valornor

Polygonal bores don't like lead....it's something I've heard over and over again. I have personally never tried it because the only pistol I own that has one is a $2100 pistol and I prefer not to have to replace a barrel $200+ if it leads up and creates a pressure spike during a practice session.

Though it is chrome lined, which I would imagine makes cleaning lead out a dream...

If someone can prove this wrong I would seriously appreciate it. I just don't want to be the guy who tries to prove it wrong and ends up proving it right.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 5, 2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Nick_C_S

Warranty

Quote:
David Bachelder: "All manufacturers of firearms void all warranties if reloaded ammo is used."
^^ This is true with every gun warranty I've ever read. ^^

I'm pretty sure I voided the warranty with all but a couple of my guns, on the first shot lol.
Old November 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

See this post from JohnKSa
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:51 PM   #12
Salmoneye

Quote:
I have glock, smith and Wesson, ruger and browning. they all state that reloaded ammo will void warranty.
Ruger has no 'warranty' whatsoever...

From their Service Department FAQ:

Why No Warranty Card Has Been Packed With Your New Ruger Firearm?
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q121

Here's what Ruger does say in it's manuals:

AMMUNITION (CARTRIDGES) NOTICE
E SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE
R INJURY WHATSOEVER OCCURRING IN CONNECTION WITH,
OR AS THE RESULT OF, THE USE IN RUGER REVOLVERS OF
FAULTY, OR NONSTANDARD, OR “REMANUFACTURED” OR
HANDLOADED (RELOADED) AMMUNITION, OR OF
CARTRIDGES OTHER THAN THOSE FOR WHICH THE FIREARM
WAS ORIGINALLY CHAMBERED.

So don't blow up your gun and expect them to fix it...But the use of reloads will not in and of itself stop Ruger from fixing or replacing your gun if it is an issue that they deem is their responsibility...
Old November 5, 2013, 05:41 PM   #13
MarkCO

A couple of points to consider...

The actual geometry of the Glock polygonal rifling is different than other manufacturer's polygonal rifling. In fact some people have even said that the Glock rifling is not polygonal rifling.

A copy of what I wrote somewhere else recently on the topic:

Quote:
There are a lot of people who reload without a chronograph, calipers, scale, etc. There are also a lot of people who abuse their firearms, don't clean them, check them, replace springs and other wear parts. The Glock platform, in my experience tends to attract a larger percentage of these types of people than other platforms. This is probably due to the reputation of reliability, but you can certainly appreciate how this results in a lower common denominator.

If using a slower, cool powder with very mild loads, it is very difficult to blow a Glock chamber due to leading. I plugged a bore then tested such a load and got case ruptures, but not enough pressure to cause chamber deformation. But I still don't recommend doing that.
I still get hate mail (usually electronic) from folks who don't believe there is any risk in using lead in Glocks, but I also get inquiry's by people asking "why" exactly their Glock "Kaboomed". In most cases, it is a bad reload, but once in a while it is some pressure issues from lead.

I get to do some cool things (for instance: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater), and sometimes those have ramifications related to general safety. When that happens, I try to get the info out as best I can. Take it or leave it, that (thankfully) is still your choice. For the vast majority of people, the most dangerous thing they will ever do in their life is make a left hand turn in city trafffic. However, they will still do that while avoiding other "less risky" behavior. It is some perception, some ignorance and some desensitization due to familiarity, but the actual risk remains unchanged.

Last edited by MarkCO; November 5, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old November 5, 2013, 11:14 PM   #14
reddnek

So from what it sounds like most of you are saying you mileage may vary, but be very observant of fouling.

now the one thing im trying to focus on here is HARDCAST (15-18 brinnell hardness) not soft lead, alot of yall are saying lead and i dont know if were using that interchangeably or mean lead and hardcast as one on the same.

so this begs the question what company makes the most consistent sized hardcast? i was looking at falcon bullets because they have sample packs.
Old November 6, 2013, 02:41 AM   #15
ljnowell

I have been shooting Missouri bullets 18bhn Softballs(230gr LRN) and 200gr RNFP(IDP-XD) for many years without any issues in my G21 with stock barrel. I dont see any reason to do any different.
Old November 6, 2013, 08:14 PM   #16
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO
but once in a while it is some pressure issues from lead
I have never seen a documented case of a Glock damaged because of barrel leading. Ever. Actually I've never seen a documented case of barrel leading destroying any firearm, regardless of rifling type.

I have seen Glocks kaboomed from firing slightly out of battery due to lead shavings buildup in the chamber. And I've seen numerous Glocks damaged from a case head letting go. And a couple of glocks that split the barrel and damaged the slide from gross overloads.