The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 3, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Wild-Bill

New Ruger SR9c

Fired my SR9c 9mm for the first time yesterday. Definitely not a .22 plinker. First couple rounds I said, "woh, now this is a gun" ! The first 10 shots were in a two inch group about two inches from target center. The CCW instructor said I should not have any problem qualifying. I take the class with him as instructor next Sunday. I have adjusted the rear sight since.
I did enjoy the more powerful handgun. I have been just doing .22 lr up to now. Did the M45 in the service, (1965, 66) Long time ago.
I am very happy with my choice of 9mm. The SR9c has a nice trigger, came with two mags, a 10 and 17. and is a nice looking gun, if that counts.
At the his range you fire from inside toward the outside after a garage door is opened. Looking, aiming into the light like that prevents picking up the rear sight dots. Fiber sight would be nice for the rear. I have found that when I get the gun in the same light conditions and shine a small LED flashlight at the rear of the gun those little white dots light right up. So now I'm thinking a hat bill light that is cheaper than $55 fibers. Depends whether I want to shoot with a hat on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oct 30, 2013 017.jpg (249.5 KB, 92 views)
Old November 3, 2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Wild-Bill

Moderator,
Can you move this to the semi auto forum.
Sorry for the flub...
Bill
Old November 3, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

There you go.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old November 3, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Pico

SR-9C

The SR series is now getting a fair amount of bashage in this form so it is good to see a positive post for a change.

Seeing yours makes me wish I hadn't sold mine. I think the SR-9C has one of the best triggers I ever pulled. Plus the thing is built like a tank. The only problem I ever had with my SR was an initial load of garbage in the striker channel which when removed fixed my occasional light strike issues 100%.

I sold mine because I needed a small CCW gun (LC-9) which does a better job as a pocket gun but is nowhere as nice a shooter. For fun, put on the 17 rd mag, and see how fast you can unload that thing. The trigger, both travel and reset, is perfect for rapid fire.

Pico
Old November 3, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5
cetanner

I have had an SR9C for well over a year now and use it as my CC weapon. I have never had a jam or FTF with the gun on over 2000 rounds. Fits my hand well, and has a great trigger. Good luck.
Old November 3, 2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Forrest68

9000 rounds and counting threw mine, love it. Easy to carry and conceal, I opted for fiber optic sights and my groups are getting tighter and tighter the more I shoot it. Enjoy
Old November 4, 2013, 03:54 AM   #7
IdahoG36

My brother has the SR9c, and I got to shoot a couple of mags through it the last time we went to the range.

I was impressed. It was very accurate for a SC pistol, and the trigger was pretty decent. He has put about 1,000 rounds through it so far without issue.

Shortly after that, I purchased a NIB SR45, and had nothing but problems with it. Go figure.

The SR9c is a great gun IMO. It is accurate, reliable, and easily concealable.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:19 AM   #8
g.willikers

It's not the first time that a successful design for one caliber turns out less than successful when adapted to another caliber.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:39 AM   #9
presspics

The SR9c and SR40c are fine weapons. Well designed, nicely built and sexy as hell (kinda like A.J. Cook)
Old November 5, 2013, 04:14 PM   #10
cobra81

Just got an SR9c 2 weeks ago, and love it. First hundred rounds through it have been flawless.
Old November 5, 2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Hitthespot

I've had mine for almost two years. Well over 1000 rounds maybe 2000. I've never had a problem or one failure. A friend has bugged me for two months off and on asking if I was interested in selling it. I told him no each time. This is one of the finest weapons I've owned. I carried it for over a year, and while it doesn't see as much hip time anymore, I still love everything about the SR9c.

my 2cents.
Old November 6, 2013, 02:11 AM   #12
shuler13

New Ruger SR9c

+1 on nothing but good things to say about my SR9c
Old November 6, 2013, 01:04 PM   #13
BigJimP

Glad to hear you like your new SR-9 .../ one of the young guys in my family is considering one as well.../ they're certainly priced right !!

Light on the hat bill ??? ....don't do that .../ hats move around, batteries, etc...

I suggest you focus on your fundamentals...we're about the same age probably - work on your trigger break and reset fundamentals, reloads, drawing from a concealed holster, etc.../ those are all good skills to think thru.../ but shoot the gun as is for now - with the stocks sights that are on it ...after you have a few thousand rounds thru it / discuss with a local shop what sight options they might have for it...( none of us over 60 yrs old ...see as well as we used to ...so you need a sight system you can acquire the target with quickly )....but don't be in a rush to make a change.
Old November 6, 2013, 04:24 PM   #14

Congrats, Wild-Bill! I have the SR9 and my shooting partner bought an SR9c because of it. He believes it's the best carry weapon he's ever had and the list of his former pistols carried is fairly impressive. Regarding the trigger, they only get better the more rounds you fire.
Old November 7, 2013, 04:11 AM   #15
Rogervzv

The first time I shot my SR40c I hit a bull's-eye at 10 yards. Right away I knew that I liked this pistol! The 40S&W recoil is quite benign with the SR40c, and the trigger is great: crisp with excellent control. I have put over 1,000 rounds through the gun and it functions perfectly every time.

The mechanism on the SR40c (same gun as the OP's SR9c excepting it is chambered for 40S&W) is extremely easy to break down and clean. I can get the gun "gunstore clean" after a range trip in maybe 15 minutes.