The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 31, 2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Coach Z

Peening on firing pin safety of Gen 4 G19/

So I've purchased several new gen 4 blocks lately to standardize my carry and HD weapons. I was test firing one of the New 19's this past weekend and after I tore it down to clean it noticed some odd peening on the firing pin safety. Anyone know what might cause this? I lubed the gun with a little milcim grease on the rails and contact points before firing and rand about 600 rounds through it in one day. Had a single fail to fire with a blazer aluminum case 115gr round which did go off after reloading and giving it another go.

Old November 1, 2013, 08:34 AM   #2
pilpens

It looks like scratches to me. Probably rough edged on the trigger bar.
maybe polish the trigger bar/safety contact points?
maybe polish the safety?
Old November 1, 2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Uncle Malice

No biggie. I agree that it's just light scratching. That nub on the trigger bar hits that. It's nothing to worry about, but I also recommend the Lightning Strike rounded titanium block. Really smooths out the staging of the trigger.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:21 PM   #4
dyl

surface treatment

Coach Z.

I recently got a block or 2 to see what all the hubbub was about.
In my search about 25 cent trigger jobs and all that, I've found that the majority of the internal parts of Glocks (all Glocks, all generations) come with a nickel coating. In the Gen 4 I believe the steel part is coated with copper so that the nickel-teflon coating adheres to the copper, much like nickel plated revolvers have a layer of copper plating over the steel to act as glue. (so don't use solvents that dissolve copper on nickel plated things)

The nickel coating can start to bubble or shed off at any point. I've got a Gen 4 G35 that I've barely used and already it's peeling up at the locking block. I've also got a 10+ year old Gen 3 G22 where the nickel has peeled mostly off of the springs, firing pin block, and is coming off the cruciform section of the trigger bar.

It's really no biggie, but if you do a 25 cent trigger job too aggressively there's a chance the coating could start peeling at metal-on-metal contact points and actually feel a littler rougher. But then again you could always just polish the steel underneath it. I think most folks do the 25 cent trigger job without knowledge that they are polishing a nickel plating.

In summary, it could be the nickel plating giving way which is no one's fault.

Good Jorb.
Old November 4, 2013, 12:59 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Generally peening in the context of the Glock firing pin safety is internal wear not visible without detail stripping the slide. The wear in the picture is scratching or abrasive wear, possibly plating wear or flaking. There's really nothing that could peen the firing pin safety at the visible wear points in the picture without being severely damaged in the process.

With the slide removed, depress the firing pin safety and verify that the firing pin will easily move fully forward until the firing pin nose protrudes from the breechface. Release the firing pin safety and slowly draw the striker to the rear. The firing pin should move smoothly without catches or hitches.

When the firing pin clears the firing pin safety, the firing pin safety should snap downwards abruptly. Pushing the firing pin forward at this point should be ineffective--the firing pin safety should prevent it from going fully forward.

If it passes all those tests, the firing pin safety is operating properly.