The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 31, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
whitebox

one-piece barrel can't take it apart! how to cut the barrel then?

what kind of problems will i run into cutting this rifle barrel?
i'm going to get my hunting license in a few days. and then buy a turkish made rifle. this rifle will cost about 100 dollars, so value is not a problem. now this gun is a one shot load and fire. so like no more than one shot at a time. i guess it's called not an automatic. there was another model with a 5 shot storage. but not this one that i will buy.

one thing about this rifle is it can't be taken apart. at all. it's a one-piece gun the whole thing. that's what they told me at the gun shop. tell me if you've never heard of a rifle that can't be taken apart.

so if i want to cut the rifle barrel i would have to put the whole gun under the band saw. my question is what do you think of that? does that sound like a bad idea to you or is it okay? i'm just afraid the power of the band saw will break other parts of the gun. i don't know.

the brand name is setsan, it's turkish. i tried to find something on the internet with that name and i couldn't. setsan might be related to the Kral Arms company.

one other question, b/c i don't want to make a separate post. i'm in iraq. it's legal to cut rifle barrels, here. what is the minimum i can/ should cut it down to without any problems for myself? again, it's legal.

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; November 2, 2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: clarification (ESL)
Old October 31, 2013, 10:32 AM   #2
overthere

Is this a center fire rifle or a shotgun? What is the caliber of the action/barrel?
Old October 31, 2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Cy4ka

Pics?
Old October 31, 2013, 05:12 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

You don't give much real info to answer your questions.

Never heard of a "one-piece" rifle that can't be taken apart.
It's apparently a single-shot of some sort, you're saying?
What caliber?

Why do you want to cut the barrel?
Generally, unless you have the gun clamped tightly & perfectly square to whatever cutting blade you're using, there's a risk of cutting it off leaving an angle to the muzzle & that can affect accuracy.

Unless you really need it shorter, you might reconsider that, or get it to a professional, if there's one where you are.
How do you plan to re-attach the front sight?

Not knowing the caliber or what you want to hunt, impossible to tell you how far you "should" cut it down.
Denis
Old October 31, 2013, 05:17 PM   #5
tahunua001

I would recommend against both purchasing the gun and also cutting the barrel.

1. there is no way to build a gun that can not be taken apart. there has to be moving parts and if there are then there has to be a way to install and by extension remove them.

2. I agree with not using a band saw. they tend to cut at an angle and would make the gun highly inaccurate.

I believe you are talking about hatsan firearms of turkey. mostly they build air rifles and shotguns. since the only shotguns that they manufacture are semi automatic, pump action and over and under I am willing to wager a guess that it's an air rifle. if it's an air rifle you are getting then there are a lot of people here that will not be able to help you. we deal mostly with firearms on this forum.
Old November 1, 2013, 06:09 AM   #6
whitebox

i'll find the answers to peoples questions and let you know. it'll take me some time. but, one thing for sure, it's not an air gun, the barrel is a thin steel barrel not thick steel barrel, and i looked up http://www.hatsan.com.tr and I know it says, "setsan" on the rifle.

Last edited by whitebox; November 1, 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old November 1, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Axelwik

It looks like a shotgun to me, not a rifle. I'm surprised you can get anything for $100. I bought a shotgun while in Turkey back in the '90s and it cost about $400 (it was very nice; hand-engraved). The cheap ones were $200.
Old November 1, 2013, 09:24 PM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

I'm agreeing with Tahunua, I'd pass if I were you.

You know absolutely nothing about the gun, including what caliber it is, and you're unable to explain why you want to cut the barrel & how you'd re-attach the front sight?

What do you plan to hunt with it, and how do you plan to hunt with it?
Denis
Old November 2, 2013, 12:55 PM   #9
Hawg

deleted

Last edited by Hawg; November 4, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Paul B.

Didn't Remington or someone come out with a low budget rifle a while back where the receiver and barrel was a one piece unit? Might hve been the M710? I wonder if that's what the OP meant by a one peice rifle?
Paul B.
Old November 2, 2013, 05:51 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

First, I don't think english is his first language. Second, I think he's talking about shotguns, not rifles.
Old November 2, 2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Pahoo

Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Quote:
tell me if you've never heard of a rifle that can't be taken apart.
I can honestly say that I have never heard of a long-gun that "can't" be taken apart. Not sure what those guys told you but you may have misunderstood them. I sure know that I am ......

I recently sold a single-shot Turkish shotgun and like most, it had a lock, stock and barrel. .....

Really ??
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old November 2, 2013, 06:35 PM   #13
semi_problomatic

Could be a musket....
Old November 2, 2013, 11:02 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

There have been a few rifles made that had the receiver and barrel in one piece, but they are long obsolete and out of production.

I think the OP needs to clarify whether the gun he has in mind is a rifle or a shotgun and perhaps what he plans to hunt and where. (Game laws often restrict what kind of gun can be used for what type of hunting and some states and countries restrict what kind of guns can be legally owned.)

Jim
Old November 3, 2013, 02:19 AM   #15
Orphanedcowboy

Re: one-piece barrel can't take it apart! how to cut the barrel then?

Does your gun look similar to this:

I think he is talking about a single shot Hatsan. He may also be converting the cost into dollars vs his actual currency.

He posted a link above and I agree English is not his language and possibly not even a second or third language.

He also probably doesn't have the luxury of multiple manufacturers or platforms that we enjoy.

White box, we'll be glad to help if you can get us a few more details.

Last edited by Orphanedcowboy; November 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old November 4, 2013, 03:46 AM   #16
Dreaming100Straight

The manufacturer is Set San (not Setsan) Gun Industry in Turkey.
Old November 9, 2013, 05:38 AM   #17
HiBC

Just a trivia point,the Savage 340 bolt rifle ,I believe,the barrel and receiver were integral.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Chad.C

Yeah to answer this question can you give any more info such as what caliber it is
Old November 9, 2013, 09:58 AM   #19
semi_problomatic

What would someone hunt in Iraq with a short barreled rifle?
Old November 9, 2013, 04:42 PM   #20
Orphanedcowboy

Quote:
What would someone hunt in Iraq with a short barreled rifle?
Probably not pigs?
Old November 10, 2013, 03:33 PM   #21
Bill Akins

Quote:
Whitebox wrote:
"one-piece barrel can't take it apart! how to cut the barrel then?"
It occurred to me that people have told you what NOT to do, but no one has yet told you what you need to do and how to do it. Hopefully I can help you with that.

Whitebox, whether you are describing a rifle or a shotgun, if you want to cut the barrel down shorter, the best way is to cut it in a lathe. I suspect the people at the gun shop did not give you correct information when they told you the barrel cannot be removed from the receiver. But whether it can or cannot be removed from the receiver, either way, the best way to cut it is on a lathe.

Here is the best way to cut the barrel.
If the barrel is removable from the receiver, just center it and clamp it down in a lathe and cut it. If for any reason it is impossible or too hard to remove the barrel from the receiver, you can still clamp the barrel in a lathe, and then just adjust the lathe to turn VERY VERY SLOWLY, because with the receiver on the barrel, if you don't run the lathe VERY VERY slowly, it will be out of balance, mess up your cut, and no doubt damage the barrel by possibly making it so unbalanced in the lathe that it comes loose from the lathe chuck and rattles all over the place and bends the barrel.

It takes a little more time doing it manually by hand, but if your receiver is still attached to the barrel, you can clamp the barrel into the lathe, and then turn the lathe manually by hand so that your cutting bit scores a ring onto and around the barrel, then you just keep turning it by hand and increasing the pressure against the barrel with the cutting bit until it finally cuts through the barrel. Similar to a copper tubing cutter (only better and more accurate).

It shouldn't take too very long to do that even by hand if its a thin shotgun barrel. Basically your lathe is acting like a common copper tubing cutter you would find at the hardware store, only more secure and accurate in cutting a perfect circle and not giving you a bad angle cut like some copper tubing cutters can easily mess up and do. By using the lathe but turning it manually by hand, you avoid the problem of the receiver and barrel being unbalanced (if the receiver is still attached to the barrel). If you don't have a lathe, any machine shop will have one.

Once your barrel is cut, you may have a little bit of metal around the edge of the cut that goes inward from the pressure of your cutting bit cutting the barrel. This can easily be filed smooth by keeping the barrel in the lathe, and turning the barrel as you have a file set securely into your cutting bit's base, so that the file smooths out the internal edge of the cut, then a little fine grit sandpaper will further smooth the edge of the cut barrel. Then if it's a carbon steel barrel, reblue the end edge of the barrel,....and you are done.

Hope this helped you.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; November 10, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old November 10, 2013, 06:05 PM   #22
drcook

the OP has not been back to the site since the 2nd post from what I can tell from the profile.

I would not waste my time posting until if and when he comes back. You can click on his ID and see when the last activity was.
Old November 11, 2013, 04:57 AM   #23
Bill Akins

Thanks Drcook, I checked his I.D. like you said, and he has only made a total of two posts and hasn't been back since Nov 1st, (10 days ago). You're right. Looks like I wasted my time trying to help him with info. Ah well, such is life.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old November 12, 2013, 07:04 AM   #24
whitebox

i'm back.

caliber of rifle is 12 guage. that's what they told me.

no pics, not allowed. i know it's set san brand.

we only have turkish brands here in iraq.

yeah, there are screws by the trigger and butt stock, so the guy told me it can be taken apart into barrel and butt stock, two parts.

here we can hunt water fowl, rabbits, and even pigs on farms that cause damage to the crops and are considered a nuisance to help out the farmers.

the gun looks like the picture above, but with no rib, and an engraving on it which says "setsan" and has an eagle on it.

i found another brand that was El-Kin, also turkish. and also Kral sil- san caliber 12. http://www.kralav.com/ both are 12 caliber.

now another question. has anyone ever taken apart a gun with a screw near the trigger that looks like this picture on one side of the gun,

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/wp-co...et-trigger.jpg

and on the other side of the gun the screw head looks smooth? with no place for the screwdriver? i'm sure lots of guns are like that.

i know lots of single barrels looks like it has a small hook on it, but this kind has got two holes and two holes on the receiver and the screw i mentioned goes thru all four? does anyone have anything to say about how easy/ hard it is to take that apart?

Last edited by whitebox; November 13, 2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old November 15, 2013, 02:55 AM   #25
whitebox

i'd appreciate it if someone can still provide me with an answer.

Tags
band saw , cut , hacksaw , rifle barrel