The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 12, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Koda94

Dented Primer

I finally got around to buying new SD rounds so I rounded up all the old misc rounds to take to the next range session. Among those I had 8 rds of Speer 45acp, one has a dent on the primer.

I don't know how it got there, its off to one side and is about .100" long indented more on one end. Kinda like the round was dropped on a metal edge.

My questions are:
>can rounds go off by being dropped on the primer? (I would think so in just the right scenario...)
>does the dent compromise the integrity of the round? ie: could it misfire, or be more sensitive or prone to slamfire...?
Old November 12, 2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

It'll be fine. I wouldn't use it for SD but it's fine for range fodder.

Yes they can go off from being dropped. Theoretically dangerous but generally means you need new undies.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
>can rounds go off by being dropped on the primer? (I would think so in just the right scenario...)
I doubt it.

Drop a pencil down the barrel of an (triple check) unloaded gun. Point it up, pull the trigger. See how far it goes? The firing pin gives the primer a good solid whack. I doubt dropping it would do anything.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 12, 2013, 12:49 PM   #4
MarkCO

Yes, they can go off from being dropped! There is a fairly low risk of injury form such, but it can happen. A few LE have had the round break flesh as a result. One of my friends had a "detonated" round in a bag full of loose .40 ammo in his car when he arrived at a match. He never heard anything. I did only personally see one myself, a .40 landed on a rock and popped off.

As for a "dented" primer going bang...very likely that it will.
Old November 12, 2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Koda94

thanks for the replies, I didn't think it would be an issue I was mostly uncertain of the integrity of the round if it could make the primer more sensitive I wanted to handle it properly rather than toss it in the misc bag. Its high time I rotated these to range fodder anyways.