The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2013, 04:26 PM   #1
smee78

S&W 39-2 nickel?

Hi everyone,

So....... when I went to pick up my 3913NL from the store the other day they had a good looking 39-2 in nickel with the pachmayr wrap around grips, while I hate the grips the gun looked good, It is only the gun with one of the orginal mags. It was priced $455 and I'm thinking I need to pick this up? I am such a sucker for a good looking single stack 9mm. What does the brain trust think about the price? I already love my S&W 639 so this will keep it company.
Old October 30, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2
carguychris

IMHO $455 with nickel, one mag, no box, and Pachmayr grips is a decent price, albeit not a "Run Back There And Buy It NOW" price.

OTOH if you can talk them down...

There's one caveat: fairly common S&W's like the M39-2 seem to take a proportionally bigger value hit for blemished nickel than for slightly worn bluing. At this price, a handful of pock marks or scratches are OK, but any flaking, peeling, or deep pitting should knock the value down substantially.
Old October 31, 2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Skans

^^^^ What carguychris said. Condition on these guns is a bigger consideration. I will say, I don't see many nickel 39's anymore. They are pretty guns when the nickel is in excellent condition. Classic nickel bling brings good curb appeal.
Old October 31, 2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Sharpsdressed Man

If buying, look under the rubber grips first to see if the nickel finish is still in good shape. It can get blotched/etched/worn beyond a "flitzing" revival.
Old October 31, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
smee78

Well I did go back and and check it out, I pulled the grips and it looked ok, nothing major, just one little spot but I could live with it, I was surprised how good it looked. I was able to get it for $435, so I went ahead and put it on lay a way. It has the aluminium frame, I was able to check it out with a magnet, now to find a good set of grips. Thanks yall for the help on this one.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:11 PM   #6
hAkron

you can get M39 grips from Thailand on eBay. They are pretty nice too, but be ready to fit the screw holes a bit.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:11 PM   #7
varoadking

Nice they are...congrat's...

Here's mine...

...sporting custom Keith Brown Exhibition Grade French Walnut grips...

http://www.kbgrips.com/custom/

Last edited by varoadking; October 31, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:21 PM   #8
hAkron

S&W 39-2 nickel?

I do love the 39 series.
Here is my 39-2 nickel

My beater blued 39-2

439 (has nicer grips now)

39-2 frame with original 39 everything else
Old November 1, 2013, 05:09 PM   #9
smee78

Thanks for the pictures yall, thoes are some great looking guns, I dont know what type of grips I will go with yet but I may go for the "pimp" look and get a set of stag grips....I just dont know yet.

Last edited by smee78; November 2, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old November 1, 2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Wreck-n-Crew

Dang hAkron I thought I had a fever!

Great guns...Smee78 Where are those Pics already?
Old November 2, 2013, 06:36 AM   #11
smee78

This gun is on law-a-way, I hope to pick it up some time in the next few weeks. I still havent had time to post pics of my 3913NL due to work, there are just not enough hrs in the day it seems....
Old November 8, 2013, 09:02 AM   #12
smee78

Anyone with a few more pic's? I am still waiting to get my gun so anyone with a few more pics would be great.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:58 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
IMHO $455 with nickel, one mag, no box, and Pachmayr grips is a decent price, albeit not a "Run Back There And Buy It NOW" price.
Well, I might not run back but I'd be returning at a brisk walking gait-and at the price you finally paid ($435.00), I might even break into a trot...
Old November 10, 2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Brit

Re Post #7

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/m39-2006.jpg

This pistol looks like it has been nicely melted, rounded off?

Does any one remember the ASP conversions, all melted, cut through grips/frame, slot in magazine (you could see how many rounds) were left.

Special sights. Lou Allesi had one, he demoed it for me, shot it into a lead blanket, used hard ball.

When the Sun came out, 5 holes shined through the back door. Also the rounds went through the construction trailer (it was empty thank goodness)
lead blanket doesn't stop hard ball.
Old November 10, 2013, 03:46 PM   #15
bgdv1

I had a nickel 39, was my very first pistol. traded it away when I was young and dumb and broke. wished I still had that gun. it had the wood grips on it and was super clean.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:09 PM   #16
smee78

I hate when I have sellers remorse, I have a few I did that on......
Old November 12, 2013, 08:55 PM   #17
orsogato

This is one nice pistol. My dad bought one back in the late 80s for about $250 that we have had in the family all this time and shoot often. $455 seems a bit - not so great but hey the times are a changing as far as prices go!
Old November 13, 2013, 09:24 PM   #18
smee78

Thats why I'm glad I got it for $435, I really like the melted looks and feel of the 9mm single stack guns. They just work for me.