The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 7, 2013, 02:56 PM   #51
Polinese

I'm pretty sure the axis takes its own trigger. I just put the timney in mine and finally see what the hype is about on the timney's. Of course the stock axis trigger isn't great.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:12 PM   #52
steveNChunter

Quote:
Steve, I hate to rain on your parade, but I believe the barrel on the Axis is "Pinned" and is not interchangeable. You need to check on that first.
They take the same barrels as all the other Savage bolt actions. You may be thinking of the Remington 770, which has the barrel pressed into the action. I don't know of any rifle with a pinned barrel, but they may be out there.

Quote:
They do offer an upgrade in the "custom options" to a Pachmayer pad for $30, and if I were ordering it for a harder hitting caliber than .223, I would have added it.
Is this an option you are given when you go to "checkout" on their site, or is it a separate item?
Old November 7, 2013, 08:46 PM   #53
Jay24bal

Quote:
Is this an option you are given when you go to "checkout" on their site, or is it a separate item?
On the page for the model you want, there are the color options that are considered stock, then there is an extra checkbox at the bottom of the color list called "custom options." As soon as you check it, a whole list of options will load whereby you can choose any of the colors Boyds's offers along with checkering, pads, tips, engraving, etc. After making your selections, add it to your cart and the extra charges are included for you to check out.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 7, 2013, 08:54 PM   #54
skywag

It's like putting lipstick on a pig. You still have to look at it.
Old November 8, 2013, 05:22 AM   #55
steveNChunter

Jay, I just checked out all the options, thanks for helping me figure that out
Old November 8, 2013, 10:08 AM   #56
Jay24bal

No problem. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to go down the Axis road and order the stock.

I will report back after I hit the range tomorrow as to how it performs on the new stock.

Old November 8, 2013, 08:40 PM   #57
steveNChunter

Well I ordered an Axis stainless in .223 today, should be here in about a week. I will definitely be ordering a Boyd's stock as soon as I get the rifle

I was looking through all the custom options on the Boyd's site and I'm really liking the "applejack" color. It's a red and black two tone and I think it would look great with stainless. Still considering the pepper laminate too
Old November 8, 2013, 11:25 PM   #58
Mohave-Tec

I bought an Axis in 223 to help me slow down on my semi-auto 223 consumption. I found that it is the most accurate out of box rifle I've ever owned. It was to be a cheap plinking rifle but I was so impressed that I put a Timney in it about 3 weeks ago and I put a Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole on it yesterday. I had to back the trigger down some. It will adjust to a breath which means you won't have a chance to sight in before a round gets off with little permission. In the morning I have to make a tiny bit of room in the new stock for the Timney. I'll let you know how the stock performs by weekends end.
The only thing I can tell you right now with absolute certainty is that there are no photos on the internet that does this beauty any justice.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:55 PM   #59
Mohave-Tec

Jay24bal, it seems everybody is having trouble with the bolt release inletting. All of us on the planet will give you $1 each if you take the action out and point to what is hanging up. I haven't nailed it yet and it's going to be 75 degrees this weekend. I DO NOT want to send this stock back.
Did you say you had a Timney? I do and I have to alow for that. I'm an industrial mechanic and am not afraid to get in there with a drimmel.
Old November 9, 2013, 02:17 PM   #60
Mohave-Tec

3 hours later

It took considerable thought and effort to fit the Timney trigger equipped Savage Axis to the Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole rifle stock but it is now secure and fully functional. But it took 3 hours to get it right so today I'll finish chores and won't go out into the desert until tomorrow morning. I will take plenty pictures and have a report of sorts.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:18 PM   #61
taylorce1

Quote:
It's like putting lipstick on a pig. You still have to look at it.
LOL!!

I have to agree though a little bit, with the Stevens 200 and Marlin bolt guns out there I'd rather have either of those over the Edge/Axis. However, I'm right handed and there aren't a lot of options for the lefties of the world. I'm glad Boyd's has brought out a stock for these rifles, but I'd still never buy an Axis.

I sure wouldn't buy a $300 rifle and then sink $200+ in a new trigger and stock when I can buy a Savage 11/111 for $500 +/- with a Nikon Scope and Accutrigger. Plus then I'm not limited to only one brand of aftermarket gunstock ,or if that's the brand I want it isn't anymore expensive than the Axis stock. If you want a rifle with real options get the Savage 11/111 not the Axis.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:58 PM   #62
4runnerman

Taylorce1- I have the 11/111/ Trophy hunter in a 22-250. Now I have not worked it to much,but both my Axis out shoot it in a heart beat. It is the only Savage I have that I am not to crazy about. I will need to spend some time with it next summer and see what I can get. It's a Savage so it should shoot great.
I maybe have 250 rounds down it . Now the Axis is a very low end rifle for sure, But put it in a new stock and ( all I did was trim 1.5 coils off spring ) and they are hard to beat in the accuracy Dept. Everyone that buys one say's the same thing about them, ( can't believe how accurate this thing is ). I learned a long time ago-Looks if for show only, It's what it does that matters.

The one brand of stock?? Both Boyds and Stocky's make stocks for them now. With the sales of them going wild, Won't take long till everyone makes a stock for them. Supply and demand- The demand is there already
Old November 10, 2013, 04:03 PM   #63
Mohave-Tec

I put lipstick on my pig

Earlier I mentioned that I bought the Axis to slow down on the 223 I was going through. I also mentioned that it was so surprisingly accurate that I had decided it was worth better in a stock and trigger. Now I look at some of the logic I've seen here but what I've found is that the Timney trigger is better than the Accutrigger and the Boyds stocks look better than most and the ergonomics are much better. All for $479. So my ugly rifle handles better and shoots better than these other Savages. Too bad the rifle is so ugly.

Old November 10, 2013, 04:44 PM   #64
4runnerman

Wow- That is SWEETTTTTT for sure. Now you have really got me tempted.
Old November 10, 2013, 04:50 PM   #65
Mohave-Tec

This is appealing enough to shoot now to help keep my heavy trigger finger out of my AR. It was a breeze to bust clays off shoulder at 150 yards this morning.
Old November 10, 2013, 07:05 PM   #66
steveNChunter

Mohave-tec

That's a beautiful stock on that axis. I noticed you had the picatinny rail scope mount on it. From most of what I've read that's the only way to get proper eye relief on most scopes with the Axis. Did you run into that problem before getting that mount?
Old November 10, 2013, 07:07 PM   #67
Polinese

I used a DNZ mount on mine with a weaver classic K which have pretty short tubes. With the factory stock i had to stretch my neck a bit to get proper eye relief. However with the prairie hunter stock I don't have an eye relief problem.
Old November 10, 2013, 07:16 PM   #68
steveNChunter

Quote:
The one brand of stock?? Both Boyds and Stocky's make stocks for them now. With the sales of them going wild, Won't take long till everyone makes a stock for them. Supply and demand- The demand is there already
I went to stocky's site and wasn't able to find any Stocks for the Axis. Are they under a seperate heading than the rest of the Savages?
Old November 10, 2013, 08:14 PM   #69
Mohave-Tec

steveNChunter, I use full length rails on all magazine fed rifles. It gives me room to adjust and is a little more ridged platform.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:15 PM   #70
4runnerman

Steve-- My mistake. It was Boyds. Checked my computer history. This whole post has got me really going on a stock change for my Axis. Man that pic up a few posts is awesome. How am I ever going to save enough money for my New scope if you people in here don't stop this stuff

Last edited by 4runnerman; November 10, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:17 PM   #71
Mohave-Tec

Anyway, where the hell is Jay24bal? Shouldn't we have heard from him by now? LOL.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:23 PM   #72
Mohave-Tec

4runner, I am a world class gun **** photographer. Don't look at my work, it will ruin you mentally, emotionally spiritually....and financially.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:44 PM   #73
4runnerman

Mohave-tec. I do pretty well on my own. I have 2 Axis and I go look at them now and then yours, Ummmm damn you.. I got to order one now for sure

Man that is some Beautiful back ground in your pics. Peace, quiet, solitude. I could pull out a chair and spend the day just enjoying nothing.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:59 PM   #74
Jay24bal

Not much to report

I had the gun out at the range yesterday, but unfortunately all I can tell you is that it felt and handled well.

Yesterday, the conditions were the windiest I have ever shot in. We had sustained winds in the 25-30mph range, with gusts into the high 40's. Shooting a 52 grain bullet, it did not go well as my groups were all over depending on the wind. It was so bad, that after shooting my first four, five-shot groups I put the handloads away and just shot up two boxes of the factory ammo I use for brass.

After testing 6 different brands of brass in my action (Remington, Federal, Sellior & Belliot, Winchester, LaPua, and PMC), it turned out that the PMC gave me the tightest groups, so that is what I use. Since PMC does not sell their brass, I have to shoot a couple boxes of the factory stuff once in a while to keep my supply up, so that is all I really accomplished yesterday.

Sorry I do not have more to report, but all I can say is that it felt good. No flexing while supporting the fore end on a bipod.

Old November 10, 2013, 09:02 PM   #75
Jay24bal

Mohave -

Sorry I did not see your posts earlier in regards to fitting the action to allow for the bolt release to work. I would have happily taken my action out and snapped some pics of where material needed removed. Glad you got it taken care of, and that is a beautiful gun you have there.

The material needed removed from the top of the bolt release channel (as in the top edge of the stock). There was plenty of room in the recess for the release, the lever just needed more room to depress in the notch for me.