The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 29, 2013, 08:18 PM   #1
mattL46

nikon buckmaster issues

Hello all. I purchased this scope approx 4 years ago at a bass pro shop. It was to go atop a custom Mauser in 257 rbts. I had very little ammunition for this rifle and have only ever bought a box or two when I could find it and didn't want to burn through the stash I have to sight in. So procrastination and time got the best of me. ( I did mount the scope about the time I bought it) a few years later I gear up to reload and funds got better also so I pull the thing out and try to sight in. About 30+ rounds later I'm getting nowhere with windage. ( won't go left) I'm only shooting at about 65-70 yards. May be an issue. I know it takes a little more that close. But I would try 3 clicks.....5 clicks....10 clicks....15 clicks...nothing. Ragged hole about 5-6 inches right of bullseye. Came up approx 18" just fine and stayed there. Is there anything you think I can try before calling Nikon. Of course I can't find the receipt 4 years later so I don't know how much the lifetime warranty is going to help. Ya I know I'm a huge procrastinator ha! Help! Thanks folks!
Old October 31, 2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Hawg Haggen

I've had to go several full turns before to get one zero'd at short range.
Old November 4, 2013, 12:29 AM   #3
mattL46

Thanks hawg. I've got the components to reload so I'll mess with it some more. I'll try the classic pull the bolt and look through the bore method. Only learned of that recently. Might do the trick and save on munitions as well.
Old November 4, 2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Saltydog235

I sent a Nikon Buckmaster back to Nikon after a detached reticle (that's what they told me). Got a Brand new one, zero'd it and the next hunt the erector broke. Sent it back to Nikon, they sent me a new one. I sold that one without opening the box for 1/2 of retail.

Never will I buy another Nikon hunting optic.
Old November 4, 2013, 08:37 AM   #5
wogpotter

You can check the scope is adjusting without wasting a single shot. You can even do it indoors as the gun can be unloaded. Try this.

Securely sandbag the rifle, some kind of padded clamp is even better. Turn the turrets all the way in. turn them all the way out, counting clicks as you go.

Now turn both turrets in exactly 1/2 the number of clicks.

Stick a sheet of typing paper/computer paper in middle of the FOV of the scope & have someone make an 1" "X" with a felt marker wherever the cross hairs are pointing. This is your optical center.

Turn the elevation 20 clicks UP tap the scope tube a couple of times to settle the reticule. Look through the scope. The cross hairs should have moved in relation to the "X". Now turn it DOWN 40 clicks & tap it. The cross hair should be the same distance below the "X" that they were above it before.

Reset the elevation back to center. now do the same test, but with the LEFT/RIGHT.

If the cross hairs don't move as described your scope has a problem & should go back for repair.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 6, 2013, 11:39 PM   #6
mattL46

Thank you very much gentleman. I will check reticle operation b4 I do anything else.