The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 28, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1
beaver

1911 two piece guide rod

Question what's the purpose of a two piece guide rod for a 1911
Old October 28, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
g.willikers

As in full length guide rods?
It gives 1911 owners another accessory to buy for their guns.
It can be used as added support for compensators.
And it adds a little weight forward.

Last edited by g.willikers; October 28, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

To make break down of your 1911 more difficult.....

In all seriousness, the merits of full length guide rods are widely debated but I believe that most of us are of the opinion that a full length guide rod does very little, if any thing to improve the function of a 1911.

Personally, I don't believe they do any thing other than add another step in break down. My Springfield TRP had a full length two piece that I replaced with a standard GI plug and I noticed zero difference in function.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4
oldgunsmith

We've messed with several different 2 pc. 1911 guides over the years. Never found one that I felt like was worth the trouble.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:39 PM   #5
High Desert

As originally designed by John Browning is all one needs although the new Flat Wire recoil Springs originated by Wilson Combat also use a shorter guide rod as well as the ones from EGW.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert
As originally designed by John Browning is all one needs although the new Flat Wire recoil Springs originated by Wilson Combat also use a shorter guide rod as well as the ones from EGW.
Wilson Combat didn't originate flat recoil springs for the 1911, ISMI did ... several years before Wilson Combat started selling them.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:42 PM   #7
beaver

Thank you I did not know what they did but knew most people don't recommend them
Old October 28, 2013, 09:04 PM   #8
KyJim

Quote:
To give you an adrenalin rush when it comes unscrewed during firing and flies off downrange. It has reportedly happened and some folks use a dab of blue loctite on the threads. I've never had it happen to me (got one pistol with a two piece guide rod).
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old October 28, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
rodfac

To make $ money $ for its manufacturer...there is no other reason in a properly built 1911. Rod
Old October 29, 2013, 05:47 AM   #10
jmr40

I have 1911's that came with 1 piece FLGR's. As long as the gun can be field stripped without tools I could care less. I doubt if the FLGR is any better, but it certainly isn't worse than the short GI system. I'm not gonna spend money to replace something that ain't broke.

I did buy a used 1911 years ago with the a 2 piece guide rod that required tools to get it out. I did replace that with a short rod only because I wanted to keep things simple. The gun shot no better or worse afterward.
Old October 29, 2013, 06:09 AM   #11
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
To make $ money $ for its manufacturer...there is no other reason in a properly built 1911. Rod
So, there's like what - maybe a $20 retail difference in parts costs? So the manufacturer is getting another $5-$8 in profit? I can see how the builder is really racking up the excess profit on that one. BTW - Bob Marvel likes and uses one-piece, full length guide rods in his guns - call it "builder's choice."
Old October 29, 2013, 06:21 AM   #12
1911Tuner

Profit

Quote:
So, there's like what - maybe a $20 retail difference in parts costs? So the manufacturer is getting another $5-$8 in profit? I can see how the builder is really racking up the excess profit on that one. BTW -
On one gun, it doesn't amount to much. Sell 25,000 guns with FLGRs a year and it gets into real money.

But they do aid in extraction and feeding.

The extract money from your pocket and mfeed it into somebody else's.
Old October 29, 2013, 06:45 AM   #13
polyphemus

Quote:
Answer:
To provide the reason not to buy that pistol.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:19 AM   #14
thedudeabides

Full length guide rods (outside the bull barrel 1911 applications) are designed to drastically increase takedown time and slice your thumb open.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:29 AM   #15
jmr40

If manufacturers were interested in hosing customers they would but in the cheaper guide rod and still charge the same price. Selling FLGR's as aftermarket parts is where money is made.

There is a perception that FLGR's improve performance, so they sell many new guns with them to incease sales. Personally I think this might be the biggest non-issue discussed on the net. There are no advantages that I can see, and if the FLGR is a 1 piece unit that comes out with no tools there are no downsides either.
Old October 29, 2013, 12:38 PM   #16
SauerGrapes

I would never buy a 1911 without one. What else would I use that hex wrench for.
Actually, all mine have a FLGR. What can I say, they came with it.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old October 29, 2013, 01:55 PM   #17
g.willikers

The two piece full length guide is actually preferable.
If the front half goes flying, what's left is a nice shiny version of the original.
Old October 29, 2013, 01:57 PM   #18
James K
Staff

Full length guide rods also make sure the gun will fire if dropped on the muzzle and lead to more laws and those abominable firing pin blocks.

Jim
Old October 29, 2013, 01:59 PM   #19
1911Tuner

re:

Quote:
If manufacturers were interested in hosing customers they would but in the cheaper guide rod and still charge the same price. Selling FLGR's as aftermarket parts is where money is made.
They're all aftermarket or outsourced.

They come as part of the package because it lends the look of a custom pistol, and there are a lotta people who like that...even demand it. If the pistol that they settle on doesn't have one in it, they'll order one and install it themselves.

As with anything else...if the demand is there, somebody will step up to the plate and fill it.

The same old question begs to be asked:

"What is it for?"

Too often, the answer is:

"To sell."
Old October 29, 2013, 08:03 PM   #20
WVsig

Solution looking for a problem.