The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 27, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1
WildBill45

New Ruger SR45 failure

I have given up on Autos lately, and decided to try the new and highly touted SR45. Just bought it, took it to the range, six rounds later the gun failed and there is nothing I can do to fix it. This may be my last plastic gun...

I was shooting a video to show proudly how well it shoots, but it didn't work out that way as seen in this very short video before having to go home with a non-working gun... What a bummer, it is such a nice feeling gun with the best trigger on any striker gun I have ever shot!

With the magazine still in the gun the ejector, which must be pushed DOWN into the gun to disassemble, is blocked by the magazine, so I cannot even take the slide off to look at the magazine latch, which is operated by the mag release button! I can't take the mag out to do so because the release button is broke or the latch is, one or the other I would guess... Wish these parts were metal... Plastic makes good picnic silverware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8SCbtxiIts

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; October 27, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old October 27, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
amd6547

Sorry to hear that...but mildly amused as well.
Amused, because there was a recent thread (either here of at TFL) where a poster was raving at length about how much better the Ruger SR was than any Glock, how Ruger had bested Glock in every way...
I'll stick to my Glock, thanks.
Over at the Ruger forum, there are several threads about mag release issues with the SR's. Mainly, issues with magazines falling out while firing.
Old October 27, 2013, 03:32 PM   #3
WildBill45

Quote:
Over at the Ruger forum, there are several threads about mag release issues with the SR's. Mainly, issues with magazines falling out while firing
I will skip the Glock vs. Ruger debate, but am concerned with the mag issue(s) for sure...

Old October 27, 2013, 05:09 PM   #4

WildBill45, don't panic. I know this isn't the best news you could get but there are few gunmakers that have better customer service than Ruger. Call them and explain what occurred and it wouldn't surprise me if they paid shipping both ways in taking care of your problem.

I'm probably the Ruger advocate the other poster mentioned, but my SR45 is yet to have it's first hiccup. I've only fired a very few factory loads where mine mainly gets handloads including a number of 185 and 230 gr. Golden Sabers loaded to +P velocity as well as a number of cast lead bullet handloads. About the last ammo I'd use to break in a new pistol would be Tulammo. I'm not bashing you for using it because it may be all that was available to you. I can't tell a lot from your vid so it's hard to rule out possible causes for why this occurred, likewise I don't believe an ammo issue can be totally ruled out either.

As far as the Glock vs. Ruger thing, I can't say that if someone offered to give me a Glock I wouldn't take it, because I would. Then I'd sell it and buy another Ruger. This is also the first I'm hearing of any mag release issues. I will check Ruger Forum for this as well.

It's always a drag to have any issue with a new pistol and NO pistol maker is 100% bullet-proof; especially not Glock. What you do know from the limited number of rounds fired is that these pistols have excellent triggers and are very accurate. If I had to have any gun problem, I'd be more optimistic about getting it resoved by Ruger.
Old October 27, 2013, 06:34 PM   #5
amd6547

Here's one thread:
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/...r-regrets.html
Old October 27, 2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Rob228

I was more than a little impressed with your support hand shooting.
Old October 27, 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
MJFlores

You're using the worst ammo you could possibly buy, and you're complaining that it's not working?
Old October 27, 2013, 06:52 PM   #8
WildBill45

The Russian stuff was the only box on the shelf. I doubt that ammo would have any influence on a mag release, but I am NOT a gunsmith by any means...

I will call tomorrow and see what they will do. I am not worried about them fixing it, but more concerned if it will do it again ... next time may be in a gunfight ... and if I have reload and it breaks again, that could be an issue. Remember Cops worry about little details such as that The SR feels good in the hand, the trigger feels quick and breaks clean like a moderate 1911, so I am looking forward to being able to sort out the good and the bad when it works a little longer...

Old October 27, 2013, 07:04 PM   #9
amd6547

Regarding the Tula 45acp ammo...I used to own a Glock 30. One time, I stopped at Walmart on the way to the range. The only 45 ammo they had was Tula, so I bought two boxes. The only time I've bought Tula in any caliber.
It shot great in my pistol...accurate and reliable.
I really don't see how the Tula use would break the mag release.
Old October 27, 2013, 07:16 PM   #10
passtime

I know the feeling the same thing happened to me in the first 80 rounds I fired through my SR45. That was the first one. After a few trips back to Ruger they replaced that one. The replacement is at Ruger right now for repair. Rugers customer service is A number one but I cannot say the same for QA. And then again it may not be QA's fault. Who knows? All I know is something in their system is broke and needs repair. Way to many problem firearms are getting out the door. Two in a row for me. Good luck!

Last edited by passtime; October 27, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old October 27, 2013, 08:40 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Tula is fine. My HKs eat it like candy, and most other firearms I've owned have as well.

I had my own issues with my SR9c. But Ruger has great cs. Call them. I understand the concerns, but until you get it fixed you won't know anything.
Old October 27, 2013, 08:51 PM   #12

WildBill45, just came from Ruger Forum.com. I searched back 5 pages to threads going back to early June.

Quote:
Over at the Ruger forum, there are several threads about mag release issues with the SR's. Mainly, issues with magazines falling out while firing.
This just isn't the case and Ruger Forum.com is the largest Ruger Forum.

Call Ruger tomorrow and they will get this resolved for you. Hopefully, shipping will be at their expense both ways. I bought my SR45 in April after getting an SR9 in March. Mine is essentially a Beta-tester and I haven't had one single problem. And because the trigger is so good and the accuracy excellent, I have no problem recommending them over competing poly framed pistols where my previous poly .45 was an XDm. Excellent, but the Ruger is better, IMO. I had a Ghost "Ultimate" trigger bar reset in mine for a while and removed it this past week because it just doesn't do anything the factory part doesn't. And you guys that like the triggers on new SR45's, wait until you get around 400 rounds fired. If you like it new, you'll simply love it after it's broken in. The only mods I've made other than the temporary use of the Ghost "Ultimate" trigger bar reset was to polish the contact points on the trigger bar and remove the mag disconnect from the slide. I've been shooting handguns for at least 35 years and have never been more pleased with a factory trigger and the excellent adjustable sights are helping me get greater accuracy from any pistol I've had in many years. I know my SR45 will shoot with anything up to twice its price and accuracy is the general consensus among members at www.rugerforum.com.
Old October 27, 2013, 08:59 PM   #13
amd6547

"...WildBill45, just came from Ruger Forum.com. I searched back 5 pages to threads going back to early June.

Quote:
This just isn't the case and Ruger Forum.com is the largest Ruger Forum....."

Huh...
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/...op-issues.html

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/...ill-broke.html

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/...r45-broke.html

There's three threads found with a short search. I didn't bother posting the more minor complaints...however, there also seems to be a light strike/FTF issue with some of these guns.

Last edited by amd6547; October 27, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old October 27, 2013, 09:07 PM   #14
James K
Staff

"I will never ever own another (fill in brand) ever ever..."

Since I have seen this about every make of gun on the market, I guess some folks just don't own guns any more.

Jim
Old October 27, 2013, 09:48 PM   #15
Hitthespot

I was just thinking the same thing. If I didn't buy every gun I read someone complaining about I wouldn't own any guns.

I have had three SR's Rugers in the last two years. I still own my SR9c. It has at least 2000 rounds through it and has never done anything but perform flawlessly, along with the other two SR's, I might add.

Ruger bashing is just plain silly. Ruger will find the problem and fix it.
Old October 27, 2013, 10:05 PM   #16
passtime

Just for the record my previous post was not aimed at bashing Ruger. I have owned and own several Ruger firearms that I have experienced zero problems with. They back up what they produce and have exceptional customer service. My point is it is way out of the norm for Ruger to have replaced one malfunctioning firearm with another that is malfunctioning. Something is not right with this picture.
Old October 27, 2013, 11:15 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Noting that you've had some problems with a brand in the past is not "bashing".
Old October 27, 2013, 11:41 PM   #18
passtime

I agree. I will say though, I am a little disappointed in Ruger at the moment.
Old October 28, 2013, 03:16 AM   #19
amd6547

Likewise, myself. I own several Ruger products, each of which I consider some of my very best firearms.
Their customer service is amongst the best.
However, I own an SR22P 22 pistol. While I love shooting it, the potential for the plastic takedown lever to break, allowing the slide to launch, is something I have to watch for. I shouldn't have to.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:18 AM   #20
ritepath

There's a reason they're down to 369 bucks NIB. I paid 399 for mine 3 months ago, the two issues I've had so far I managed to fix myself. These birds need a little better engineering to get close to Glock/M&P/XD quality.....of course that would drive up the price also.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:08 AM   #21
thedudeabides

I've had many handguns. I've had QC issues with just about every brand.

About Rugers, I'll only say this:

There's a reason they're so inexpensive, there's a reason they "update" their guns so often (like the LC9, LCP), and there's a reason their CS is so "awesome." I've long ago decided that their customer base is their beta testers. The only mass manufacturer that has lousier guns out of the box is Taurus.

I've had several Rugers. On the surface they're an inexpensive product that seems to offer a lot for the money, but they're really just cheap.

I've handled my share of poorly fitted SR1911s (the one gun that HAS to be well-fitted to work), had an LCP that was pure garbage, and a Vaquero that had to have its cylinders reamed so that it would properly chamber ammo. I've seen sights fall off of LC9s at the range and the front sights crumbling on the 1911s (there's one at the pro shop getting Trijicon sights fitted to replace the OEM issue).

There's brands like Marlin, Henry, Rossi that I don't expect to work out of the box and just serve as a curiosity that can be fun to shoot on a good day. Ruger really needs to get their stuff together, they've had a run of terrible QC and last time I checked when your nightstand or carry gun bricks it really doesn't matter how great the customer service is.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:56 AM   #22
g.willikers

To get the mag out, you obviously will need a bigger hammer.
Heck, anything can fail.
At one of the local matches, a fellow had his mag release break in half, after a robust mag change, with pieces flying out of both sides of the frame and the mag landing at his feet.
It was not a Ruger, but one of those "it never breaks" models, which will go nameless.
Except to say that it was all black and comes from Georgia.
Guns are just machines and machines fail.

Not too long ago, I was trying out a rental SR9 at a range.
It was dirty, scratched and dented, had obviously suffered a hard working life, and worked perfectly.
It was such a good gun, that if 9mm ammo ever gets plentiful and affordable again, I just might get one.

Last edited by g.willikers; October 28, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old October 28, 2013, 11:27 AM   #23
WildBill45

I just got off the phone with Ruger in AZ, they are going to send me a shipping label today ... it just arrived in my email... They say 12 to 14 days turnaround.. . I will update this when I get it...

NOTE; I appreciate most of the comments here, informative. To some folks please leave your negative comments elsewhere. My gun broke, and any comments that may help me understand how it works, etc, is fine, but to use someone's unfortunate circumstance to make a comment about how good your BRand is, and there is one brand saying that most often ... doesn't help, does it? Not many bad comments from HK owners, or Sig folks, notice that do ya?

GEEeeeeeezzzzzz This is not a contest, just a blip in the history of this pistol's history hopefully.

Thanks for all the helpful comments to those folks who know who they are!!!

Old October 28, 2013, 11:44 PM   #24
chris in va

Good thing you weren't using it as a SD weapon.
Old October 29, 2013, 12:33 AM   #25
Laz

Quote:
Good thing you weren't using it as a SD weapon.
It seems to me that could be said about any handgun, semiauto or revolver, from any company that is rendered inoperable by any sort of malfunction that causes the weapon to fail.

Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do, or do without.
Closed Thread